Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Liverpool 2 Leicester 1 post match thread

8 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

****ing disappointing. 

Started well and then let them have a real go at us until they scored. 

Then after that we had a good 10-15 mins spell but as usual we fail to capitalise. Vardy had such a poor first touch today and everything after his goal was not going for him. 

Salah is a class player and he really took Maguire to the cleaners during second goal. 

Subs are bizarre. Who was a playing right wing at the end?! 

Slimani is dog shit. Let's not beat around the bush. He offers nothing. Vardy game was over and genuinely I'd rather have Musa on the pitch. 

Had nothing up front. Slim doesn't win **** all on long balls and at least with Musa we could knock it into the wide areas for him to chase and try and nick s foul or corner or anything. 

Ridiculous subs. 

Fuchs long throw.... We need to work on this. It could be a weapon. But we don't have enough plan or movement involved to make much more of it. Against the technically better teams you have to exploit any weakness I.e physically. 

Maguire out for next game too apparently... 

Thought Ndidi was motm 

You say subs were bizarre, but we played better attacking football once they came on. I liked adding Slim, he provides a very different threat, even when he doesn't score, teams tend to bracket him when he is forward and we have someone coming up the side to cross, it opens up the defense considerably, which is why we saw Leicester suddenly able to attack, it is easy for teams to defend Vardy as a rule, teams can do that with a tactical adjustment, but a player like Slim demands more attention, you have to be physical, you need to keep a man between him and the ball, you need players nearby in case of a cross, etc.

Everyone always hates when Slim comes on, and I understand why, he doesn't exactly cover himself in glory with his finishes, but his presence opens up the defense against pretty much everyone, and the way we look effective of late -- attacking from the outside in, looking for crosses -- Vardy isn't able to give us the sort of scoring we need from a forward on crosses, he has all the industry and hard work we could ask for, but he doesn't have the attacking skill of a player like Salah, who saves Liverpool's ass every time we play them because he makes things happen in a way that Vardy simply cannot. That is the difference between us and Liverpool, they have players who can make things happen on their own, and do so regularly. We need that at the top the Christmas tree, but Vardy is a bit wasted as the primary target at this point, he is easy to scheme against, he could still be devastating if he played on a side where he could be a complementary threat, where he had an SS or AMs who could pass the ball with class, but as the primary threat for us, it is just too predictable. 

• Like 1

I said this last match that our defence is not that bad it is our midfieds incapability that is limiting us our defence can't and shouldn't have to defend for 70 minutes but against opposition that press for 90 minutes we should have tried to keep the ball the amount of time schmeichel dispossessed us is unacceptable. I think however that silva can fix our possession problems but and BIG BUT huddersfield play like liverpool do in terms of pressing so we will probably lose. 

Edited by DatfoxesKid23

I'm not going to knock Puel and am happy he's ditching the tired old 4-4-2 but Mahrez, Gray and Albrighton simpy ain't worked as the three in this 4-2-3-1 yet in any game that I can remember and doesn't seem to be improving either.

Edited by l444ry

Better than last season's result there, I suppose.

It's frustrating, and Puel's game management has been poor recently. But let's not judge too much until he's had a transfer window or two to stamp his identity on the side- his style will ultimately be possession-based, and we don't have adequate quality in a few positions for that to be effective at the moment.

I hope we beat Huddersfield though, or we will end up on a lengthy winless run with Chelsea away after that- difficult to get yourselves out of runs like that if the confidence goes, but the fact that we don't look like being anywhere near relegation gives us a rare luxury of being able to take a step back and see how we progress under Puel. We haven't had that in a long time.

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Them he should change his tactics to suit the team he's got. We've got 1 point out of the last 12. What's the point of rotating when you're losing every week? We'd be better playing our best side every game, winning 2 and losing 2. 

There is absolutely no guarantee we win 2 and lose 2 by doing that. The entire team was asleep for Palace, there was no side Puel could field that wins that game. Then we were seriously outclassed by Man U and Liverpool. Our best players without rest are not better than the rested alternatives. This team played all three (Man U., Watford, Liverpool) close, and we had chances to get a result in all three, and we could've taken more if we were more clinical. We have to add more variety in the attack, and we need more midfielders who can maintain possession well enough to beat the press, but Puel is moving this team in the right direction, the first 15 minutes had the best passing I have ever seen from a Leicester side. Puel needs time and players who are better on the ball, and for Ndidi to improve with the ball at his feet. 

I mean, we were in the last three games, and they were all difficult games. Even Watford, that was still a road game, we absolutely sucked at those last season, this season we are in every single one, and we are picking up results as well. Huddersfield is a must-win, at which point we'll still be a top-10 side and we'll have Silva, which should be a real boon. He is precisely the sort of player we need for games like today. Sure, he isn't a magician with the ball at his field, but he is athletic and physical and knows how to get forward. With Gray and Mahrez and Vardy as outlets, we should see our shot quality improve a fair bit when Silva is integrated. That will go a long way towards making us more competitive against elite pressing sides, though I still think we need more improvement from Ndidi plus another box-to-box MF.

If we are going to set up to frustrate we also need to pick a team to do it. Far too much work for Iborra and Ndidi to do defensively. 

I think Puel recognises the need for a number 10 and he thinks Gray and Mahrez are the best bet at the minute but neither are at their best in that position. Silva needs to be the answer as I think he can work well with with Iborra and Ndidi. He might aslo get the best out of Slimani as they've played together successfully. 

56 minutes ago, MattP said:

People need to get some perspective as well on all sides. 

Liverpool have played ten league games at Anfield this season and drawn five of them.

They aren't Man City and some people are talking about them like they are.

Yeah and in those games against sides similar to us, Liverpool pummelled the teams and were unlucky to not walk away with a hatful. We'd have done the same but for a couple of brain farts in defence from Wes and Maguire. 

Edited by Babylon

9 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

We really do have some fools on here. I don't know what they expect. We've come a long way when we're playing away to Liverpool and people are unhappy that we didn't win.

I thought firstly that it was a great game of Football with lots of good play and end to end stuff. So many positives from a group of players who haven't had a chance to rest properly or more importantly work on the training ground. You can't blame Puel without giving him a chance to add a few players.

NDidi I thought was magnificent and Amartey never let anyone down although he has to learn to keep his hand down. Maguire had a great game even if he was mugged for the winner by a great player.

But I'm sure he'll learn from it.

With a couple of the right additions we'll have a great team. just keep the faith.

Maguire certainly didn't have a great game. The left side of our defence was weaker than the right, not for the first time. You're right in saying Amartey put in a shift on the right.

The criticism of Puel seems, to me, to be focused on his game management - how quickly he reacts to what he sees. I don't think anyone would blame him for the squad he has at his disposal. And some of that criticism may be justifiable.

Ndidi did indeed do very well, though he missed out on a couple of key 50-50s. That's bound to happen because Iborra isn't the most mobile player off the ball, and it doesn't help that Wilf only has two CBs behind him, and our full backs tend to attack more, meaning his intervention is too often the critical one.

I doubt anyone is too annoyed about this game in isolation. A lot of people seem to be taking heart in our application, and in our improvement from set pieces (with Kasper also making a concerted effort to command his box). But it's 1 point from 4 games, many of the same defensive frailties were in evidence, and we're going to have to improve. Lots of sides come away from Anfield with something, and if you don't manage that you need to be winning against your Palaces / Watfords. So the disappointment, and a lot of the more constructive criticism, makes sense.

17 minutes ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

I said this last match that our defence is not that bad it is our midfieds incapability that is limiting us our defence can't and shouldn't have to defend for 70 minutes but against opposition that press for 90 minutes we should have tried to keep the ball the amount of time schmeichel dispossessed us is unacceptable. I think however that silva can fix our possession problems but and BIG BUT huddersfield play like liverpool do in terms of pressing so we will probably lose. 

The second goal was due to maguire lunging in, and totally getting turned, which is amatuer defending.  The midfield could have done fook all about.   

13 minutes ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

Silva is a step in the right direction, certainly. We need to fix our linkage, and that is precisely where it is breaking down. If Ndidi can continue to improve on the ball, and if we have Silva instead of Albrighton on the pitch, allowing Silva-Iborra-Gray-Mahrez to help us control possession, we may improve some. Though I would still prefer to see Iborra as a substitute or spot starter, I think we need a younger midfielder with similar on the ball skills but more energy and younger legs who can cover more ground defensively. Not necessarily an easy ask, but that is a position where we could definitely improve our defense if we could replace Iborra.

4 minutes ago, vanity said:

Silva is a step in the right direction, certainly. We need to fix our linkage, and that is precisely where it is breaking down. If Ndidi can continue to improve on the ball, and if we have Silva instead of Albrighton on the pitch, allowing Silva-Iborra-Gray-Mahrez to help us control possession, we may improve some. Though I would still prefer to see Iborra as a substitute or spot starter, I think we need a younger midfielder with similar on the ball skills but more energy and younger legs who can cover more ground defensively. Not necessarily an easy ask, but that is a position where we could definitely improve our defense if we could replace Iborra.

William Carvalho could do a job as a holding midfielder he was about to go to west ham so he would come here

Edited by DatfoxesKid23

4 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Maguire certainly didn't have a great game. The left side of our defence was weaker than the right, not for the first time. You're right in saying Amartey put in a shift on the right.

The criticism of Puel seems, to me, to be focused on his game management - how quickly he reacts to what he sees. I don't think anyone would blame him for the squad he has at his disposal. And some of that criticism may be justifiable.

Ndidi did indeed do very well, though he missed out on a couple of key 50-50s. That's bound to happen because Iborra isn't the most mobile player off the ball, and it doesn't help that Wilf only has two CBs behind him, and our full backs tend to attack more, meaning his intervention is too often the critical one.

I doubt anyone is too annoyed about this game in isolation. A lot of people seem to be taking heart in our application, and in our improvement from set pieces (with Kasper also making a concerted effort to command his box). But it's 1 point from 4 games, many of the same defensive frailties were in evidence, and we're going to have to improve. Lots of sides come away from Anfield with something, and if you don't manage that you need to be winning against your Palaces / Watfords. So the disappointment, and a lot of the more constructive criticism, makes sense.

We need to replace Iborra, allow him to be a sub and spot starter. I understand what he brings, I understand he has been critical to our resurgence, but if we could find someone with younger legs who is comfortable in possession, we would instantly start conceding less. Ndidi is doing the work of two men back there, we are going to run him into the ground.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I guess I’m not surprised on here at all, but what did people expect today?

I thought we did well to be in front for so long personally. They are better than we are.

Did anyone watch the match stats (as I did)?

They were all over us and it was only a matter of time. The only surprise was it was only 2-1.

34 minutes ago, vanity said:

You say subs were bizarre, but we played better attacking football once they came on. I liked adding Slim, he provides a very different threat, even when he doesn't score, teams tend to bracket him when he is forward and we have someone coming up the side to cross, it opens up the defense considerably, which is why we saw Leicester suddenly able to attack, it is easy for teams to defend Vardy as a rule, teams can do that with a tactical adjustment, but a player like Slim demands more attention, you have to be physical, you need to keep a man between him and the ball, you need players nearby in case of a cross, etc.

Everyone always hates when Slim comes on, and I understand why, he doesn't exactly cover himself in glory with his finishes, but his presence opens up the defense against pretty much everyone, and the way we look effective of late -- attacking from the outside in, looking for crosses -- Vardy isn't able to give us the sort of scoring we need from a forward on crosses, he has all the industry and hard work we could ask for, but he doesn't have the attacking skill of a player like Salah, who saves Liverpool's ass every time we play them because he makes things happen in a way that Vardy simply cannot. That is the difference between us and Liverpool, they have players who can make things happen on their own, and do so regularly. We need that at the top the Christmas tree, but Vardy is a bit wasted as the primary target at this point, he is easy to scheme against, he could still be devastating if he played on a side where he could be a complementary threat, where he had an SS or AMs who could pass the ball with class, but as the primary threat for us, it is just too predictable. 

He has the best goal per minute in the squad, yet people still hate as hell on him. He deserves some criticism of course, but I think he gets to much hate here. Hope he leaves, just so he can prove his quality because he will never prove it at Leicester.

Edited by Eagle10

Just now, Col city fan said:

I guess I’m not surprised on here at all, but what did people expect today?

I thought we did well to be in front for so long personally. They are better than we are.

Did anyone watch the match stats (as I did)?

They were all over us and it was only a matter of time. The only surprise was it was only 2-1.

For me, it was the way we capitulated, the 2 goals were soft.

Also we were poor in possession, I really felt the ball was a bomb every time we had it.

There were times when Liverpool were superb, but it's not our fault they did not take there chances, but why stab yourself in the foot.

Some of our players are oveehyped, however I bet you and Cattermole were proud of Amertey today

1 minute ago, Eagle10 said:

He has the best goal per minute in the squad, yet people still hate as hell on him. He deserves some criticism of course, but I think he gets to much hate here. Hope he leaves, just so he can prove his quality because he will never prove it at Leicester.

He is not designed for our team, he needs to go to a team that can give him the service he prefers

2 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

:crylaugh:

1 hour ago, Matt said:

There it is, the buzzword of the moment.

Not just on here, everywhere - No-one can simply dislike something or have a negative opinion, you HATE something. :crylaugh:

Point proven.

Tell you what i'm posting replies to people before they've even posted today!