Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Liverpool 2 Leicester 1 post match thread

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah and in those games against sides similar to us, Liverpool pummelled the teams are were unlucky to not walk away with a hatful. We'd have done the same but for a couple of brain farts in defence from Wes and Maguire. 

I don't think you're right - two of those five draws were against Manchester United and Chelsea, who both went out to win the game. And even if all five had been against sides like us, you can't shrug it off in such an off-hand manner.

Firstly, because Maguire has a weekly 'brain-fart' and for all his class it's proving costly. The three more humble sides who got something at Anfield - Everton, Brom, Burnley - defended better on the day than we did. If we are so limited defensively (and it's obviously our achilles heel) then we need to cover ourselves as much as possible. That may mean more defensive full backs, midfielders closing down more quickly than Iborra, Mahrez and Gray were managing to. It may mean acting quickly as a manager, during games rather than between, to deal with this. Or it may mean us appreciating that our strength is in attack, not defence and conceding that, now our defence is older and not shielded by Kante, we can no longer grind out results in the way we once did. Perhaps it's back to the rear-end of the Pearson era when he grudgingly acknowledged that we could only win games by attacking sides - we couldn't manage matches and stifle sides as we had in the past, because we didn't have those defensive qualities.

Secondly, because this isn't a game in isolation. We're talking about a run of poor form against weak and strong teams alike, with leads being surrendered on three occasions. When that happens, I don't think you can look 'outwards' for answers in the way that you are (i.e. 'Liverpool always pummel sides like us, we nearly nicked something, what else do you want?'), I think we need to look at ourselves a lot more.

Edited by inckley fox

15 minutes ago, vanity said:

We need to replace Iborra, allow him to be a sub and spot starter. I understand what he brings, I understand he has been critical to our resurgence, but if we could find someone with younger legs who is comfortable in possession, we would instantly start conceding less. Ndidi is doing the work of two men back there, we are going to run him into the ground.

I like Iborra and think there are ways of accommodating that particular sort of player - the 'stroller' as Matt Elliott calls them. But there's no question that his selection puts huge pressure on Ndidi, and he doesn't look like an effective 4-4-2 player, at least not when the defence behind him isn't the most mobile in the world, and you have attacking midfielders like Gray and Mahrez who also have a habit of going missing when it comes to defensive duties.

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

This is, and will stsy the top post of the weekend.

Difficult period, didnt do too well on results, but expected a difficult december.

Not one single player, deserves these Negative rants.Downright stupid comments on Puel.

Hes got us, into a strong position, that hits we have had are frustrating, but football is not a

fixed guarranteed game..We have reached New year in 8th, from 4 seasons, the 2nd best position.

Not great but a comfortable position,....I Fking feel Great and I am one great big happy positive Twat,

and happy to admit it.

MY posts beat hands down all the Negative posts over Any individual  Player, the silly negative posts over

Puel in selection, Team management , results and Subs. I said like the real wiseman I am, he will need, time

Patience, space, at least until EOFebuary, before we can asses what he can do with our (not his) players.

Pushing, moving, exchanging them through games, beyond fans expectations of  unconfirmed quite incompetent

Unrecognised knowledge of squads real needs ..It amazes me you havent yet grasped yourselves, that non of you

have any competence to be football Managers. Attempting to post acceptable opinions on what players should

be doing, while defending or attacking....Actually believing you know whats good or bad tactics.Your a woefull lot,

but you cant all have my perspective, of life's true football potential within our squad. Its a bore reading the posts

that cant hold their decorum, not realising Whether the opposition, are top or bottom of their form, they too are

also allowed to play better, as-good-as, hold well against our lads, have their own dashing moments, when we

are either in good pressing moments, or finding ourselves somewhat flatfooted....

Some of you post as you never seen swings and twists during a football game, andtake on little spoilt brat

Protestations, when we dont always deliver to your own twisted own created idea, of OTT standards and status,

we of not yet reached.  You spitefully attack players, who only shortly, you have all been applauding as good investments,

Top quality PL player, then the next moment tell us all they will never make it at the top level.

Or you just wait of a few days, so you can post and troll how miserable you feel towards everything LCFC, and what

Mistakes you yourself could obviously all improve on....

Oh well...if I must.. !!

Take care and have yourselves a very happy new year....

and hope your own resolutions and expectations can be forfilled...

Try not to forget, like a good marriage,  you are a supporters  or Fans

For better or worse....

We are not so good as the top 7, but so far flying above another 12 pl clubs.

I like it..!!! :P

My eyes tend to glaze over reading posts like this but from what I gather I totally agree!

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I guess I’m not surprised on here at all, but what did people expect today?

I thought we did well to be in front for so long personally. They are better than we are.

Did anyone watch the match stats (as I did)?

They were all over us and it was only a matter of time. The only surprise was it was only 2-1.

I'm disappointed, not surprised. Half of the teams to go to Anfield this season have come away with something, so when we took the lead we had every right to get our hopes up. The issue I have is with the last four games as a whole; the defensive frailties against weak and strong sides, the ineffective in-game changes, the leads we've failed to manage, the extent to which we have to depend on our defensive strengths (which aren't all that great) when we might be able to do more to test our attacking strengths (which are exceptionally good). In isolation, though, I suspect everyone can see that it was a hard-working, positive display by one of our younger-looking line-ups, and that you can't always take the game to sides like Liverpool.

That said, I think you've rightly stated on more than one occasion that we can't just shrug off losses against the top sides, because mid-table sides tend to pick up a good few points from them, and if you're looking up-table rather than down-table, you can't take results like today's too lightly. Especially not in the context of the equally poor results, against weaker sides, which preceded it.

We are 8th to 10th team. If we cut the errors out we get 7th and potentially Europe. January gives Puel with an easier schedule to do some real coaching and get two or three in. Our fixture list gets fortunate too. 

There’s parts what concern me - I’m seeing little difference in our tactics from Shakespeare to Puel but Claude has managed to get Riyad firing. Mahrez will be off in the summer and deservedly so. The club’s and squad’s realistic ambition is being tested (7th and a cup final) we are falling below that. 

I understand where a lot of negativity comes from. We are in the midst of a decent season but a bit of improvement sees potentially an European spot. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

A lot of fans are expecting too much from this side, this Leicester team nowadays is full of players that are either regressing or players who are incredibly inconsistent.

A few weeks ago some were talking as if the top six was a nailed on certainty, just because we got a good result against Spurs, few weeks later we're back to moaning as if we're in a crisis. I'm afraid we are where we should be, this team is nothing more than a 8th-12th placed side who will impress some weeks then look shit for a few.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

There defence is still shaky, dodgy, and dogshit. I am shocked it's the 5th best! Genuinely.

I'm not depressed about losing to Liverpool, but I am however getting depressed and angry (still!) about being battered by Palace and Watford and it keeps getting compounded because of that and I don't see it changing against Huddersfield.

Yeah, those games are slightly worrying but too early just yet to judge and, by definition, with the 6th best defence in the league they are not dogshit by any stretch.  I actually think we are not far away and look forward to Silva coming in.  I think midfield is where we are struggling.  Iborra is amazing but I think he is struggling with too many games and needs a rest.  I think once we have 3 strong central midfielders, able to rotate we will look a different team.  Well, let's hope so any way. X

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

A lot of fans are expecting too much from this side, this Leicester team nowadays is full of players that are either regressing or players who are incredibly inconsistent.

A few weeks ago some were talking as if the top six was a nailed on certainty, just because we got a good result against Spurs, few weeks later we're back to moaning as if we're in a crisis. I'm afraid we are where we should be, this team is nothing more than a 8th-12th placed side who will impress some weeks then look shit for a few.

Again... we don’t have a strong enough squad. After the first team our players are very very average.

We're Leicester C, not Man C.

We're a decent side but not world beaters. We're better than Stoke, who've had years of PL experience but that's about our current level. What do supporters expect?  We will always be the bridesmaid since the PL title. Top players will go and be replaced by others not so good but who will improve and then leave.

That's what happens to clubs like ours.

There needs to be a dose of realism and a levelling of expectations.

We did ok today against Liverpool, regardless of their defensive frailties, they have a good attacking force. We were decent against Manure. We cant expect more than we can realistically achieve.

We're OK, that's pretty much all we are. Average. Sometimes above, sometimes below average. Mostly average. I want more, but I'm a realist.

That's not going to change any time soon.

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

We're a decent side but not world beaters. We're better than Stoke, who've had years of PL experience but that's about our current level. What do supporters expect?  We will always be the bridesmaid since the PL title. Top players will go and be replaced by others not so good but who will improve and then leave.

We did ok today against Liverpool, regardless of their defensive frailties, they have a good attacking force. We were decent against Manure. We cant expect more than we can realistically achieve.

We're OK, that's pretty much all we are. Average. Sometimes above, sometimes below average. Mostly average. I want more, but I'm a realist.

Can't beat them either.

I expect the manage to pick the best side to get a result and I expect him to change things when we're clearly struggling. It may not work but at least give it a try.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Yes, obviously. But equally fans are always going to want their side to improve. And, as a mid-table side, we will have to do a lot better than we have in the past four games - be it against the Watfords and Palaces of the world, or the Liverpools and Uniteds, if we (a) want to stay mid-table and (b) intend to ever do anything other than be a mid-table side.

I really don't see the point in so many people pointing out that we're currently a mid-table side - that's clear. As unknlowedgeable as we fans may be, post-match discussion is always going to involve fans talking about things which could be done better, especially after a loss, especially when you're a mid-table side who won the title a few years ago and wants to be more than a mid-table side. And especially especially especially when you're on as poor a run as we are.

So the obvious discussion here should be about how it is that we go from the poor form we're in to the sort of form which will help us to achieve our ambitions, unless we simply have no ambitions any more. I don't understand why people feel the need to say 'look, we're mid-table, get used to it' as if that's what it is to be a good, loyal, supportive fan. You can be positive, get behind the lads, get behind the boss but still not settle for what you've got.

And be careful, because this game wasn't a one-off against top quality opponents, where we endeavoured but came up short. It was the latest instalment in an on-going downturn, and if history proves anything to City fans it should be that downturns have to be taken seriously, whether you're losing to Wycombe in 2001, Huddersfield in 2013, Palace in 2014, Hull in 2016, Watford in 2017 or Liverpool in 2017. This may be a blip, it could easily be something more. So even if your priority is to maintain rather than to advance, we're going to have to get better.

Edited by inckley fox

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I expect the manage to pick the best side to get a result and I expect him to change things when we're clearly struggling. It may not work but at least give it a try.

I agree but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Are you of the opinion the Puel isn't the right man for us? 

He's made some decent changes in some games which have pulled games round. I agree he seems a bit lacking in ideas. Okizaki should make more starts, Slimani should be completely left out, we need a RB with presence.

My point is, we don't have the players to make a difference, either from the KO or when we need to change things during the game. That's us as a team. That's LCFC, despite the phenomenal achievement 2 years ago.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Again... we don’t have a strong enough squad. After the first team our players are very very average.

Exactly, the depth isn't there because what we have underneath the usual starting 11, consists of average players or shit signings.

The likes of Simpson, Morgan, Huth and Fuchs probably only have a season or two left as capable starters. Underneath that you have Amartey who in two years we still don't know his strongest position, Chilwell who looks capable one week then looks out of his depth the next and Dragovic who has done fvck all so far. Maguire is our only defender that is ready made for the long term.

As for midfield if we get a few injuries in the centre then we're left with Andy King. Mahrez, Gray and Albrighton will look brilliant one week then will look shit the next. If all players are fit the depth is there, we have Silva to come in and Matty James can do a job, as soon as we get a few injuries though we're fvcked.

Up front you're relying heavily on Vardy and Shinji, Shinji recently hasn't been getting the game time he deserves, you can tell Puel prefers playing Albrighton - Mahrez - Gray. Slimani had a good pre season and some good performances in the cup, now his head looks elsewhere. Iheanacho, Ulloa and Musa are laughing stocks.

This team will just continue to muddle along, as I said above, they'll impress some weeks and then they'll look shit for some weeks.

I agree but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Are you of the opinion the Puel isn't the right man for us? 

He's made some decent changes in some games which have pulled games round. I agree he seems a bit lacking in ideas. Okizaki should make more starts, Slimani should be completely left out, we need a RB with presence.

My point is, we don't have the players to make a difference, either from the KO or when we need to change things during the game. That's us as a team. That's LCFC, despite the phenomenal achievement 2 years ago.

I'm not sure yet, but I'm not overly impressed so far. Our only dominant  performance so far was against Southampton.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm not sure yet, but I'm not overly impressed so far. Our only dominant  performance so far was against Southampton.

Hmm... do you think we would be better with Shakey?

Just watched Manure v Southampton. MU are pretty shite, Maurinho seems to getting found out. Makes me feel better about us and our lack of consistency.

Just now, Parafox said:

Hmm... do you think we would be better with Shakey?

Just watched Manure v Southampton. MU are pretty shite, Maurinho seems to getting found out. Makes me feel better about us and our lack of consistency.

Shakey's gone now, whether he'd have done better is immaterial. I'm not calling for him to be sacked and unless we're in the bottom 3 I won't but he's got to up is game.