Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dom kellett

Dragovic

20 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

Dragovic or 30m for Keane in the Summer ? Thoughts...............

Dragovic easily, Keane is playing awful for Everton their fans think he is s*** and want to get rid of him, thank god we bought Maguire instead of Keane

On 2/11/2018 at 10:18, Collymore said:

Wes has this ability of making us think he's finished and a massive liability and then seems to turn world class for a few months. I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

I think we've missed his leadership on the pitch the most though... 

I think it's Huth who has been missed the most.

• Like 1

Dragovic seems to be improving and fitting in better all the time. Calm, with good judgment and anticipation, and rarely makes mistakes.

I hope he's top of our list for summer signings. It's a no-brainer when he's already here, showing his worth, surely?

I hope we can hang on to Maguire (7th place, a serious FAC challenge & Europa League football will help our cause). But there must be some chance of him being made an offer he can't refuse.

Given that risk, combined with Morgan and Huth's age, it would be insane to lose Drago, as well.

I hope that Wes still has a future here, once recovered, but I'd be surprised if Huth returns to regular 1st team action - particularly given Claude's preference for playing out from the back.

Huth has been a great servant and I'd be sad to see him go, but imagine that it's likely that he'll retire or move on in the summer.

I wonder if Amartey might still have a future here as a centre-back, particularly if Claude is considering playing 3 at the back sometimes?

24 minutes ago, KJT said:

Dragovic easily, Keane is playing awful for Everton their fans think he is s*** and want to get rid of him, thank god we bought Maguire instead of Keane

Keane is playing woefully, but I still think he's a good player, so if we could buy him in the Summer for a reduced price and Dragovic, I'd be quite happy with that.

A botched European Championship, a year in Leverkusen that did not go according to plan and a reserve role at Leicester City in the Premier League. Bumpy was the sporting career of Aleksandar Dragovic in the last year and a half. Not as the ambitious 26-year-old had planned.

But at the turn of the year, Dragovic took advantage of the opportunity that resulted in Leicester's injury to captain Wes Morgan. In five competitive games without conceding, including a 0-0 in the champions Chelsea, Dragovic - who is on loan until summer - advertising could do on their own. The media in Leicester are currently full of praise. The fans even want a commitment in the summer.

COURIER: Suppose you could turn back time by two years. What would you do differently

Aleksandar Dragovic: If you want to move on to Leverkusen, I have to say: I do not think I would do it any differently today.
But I would not let my ankle injury, which I contracted in Kiev and which I dragged to Leverkusen via the European Championships in France, be dealt with in Mike's case but with Mike Steverding. I regret that, because I am very slowly getting fit again.

You do not regret the change to Leverkusen?

At that time I was very happy to change from Ukraine to the German Bundesliga. In retrospect, you are always smarter. That it did not go to plan, we know.

Why is not it?

There were several small pieces of the puzzle that did not fit and which shook the whole season. For example, that we fired five penalties. That cost us ten points. Even the lock of Calhanoglu, which was missing all spring, was such a puzzle piece.

How do you rate your personal services in Leverkusen?

I had a catastrophic game against Atlético Madrid in the Champions League, conceding two goals. Sure, there were two, three worse games here. But it was not as it was often portrayed. I also had good games like away against Bayern. That will be forgotten. Unfortunately, the negative stops.

As a center-back you have probably never defended so "high" before. Was it harder than expected to adapt to the extreme style of Roger Schmidt?

Yes, that was very unusual. When I saw it on TV before, it did not seem as extreme as it actually is when playing in this system.

What in detail was difficult to implement?

Roger Schmidt wanted us to always keep the center-back out, so always defend aggressively forward when the striker's back is played to us. But sometimes you do not get there, or one step too late, and that's very dangerous against fast strikers, when the full-backs do not hedge, but attack forwards themselves. Then you have felt as a defender 5000 sprints. All this was very unusual for me.

Leicester came in the summer. Their Premier League debut was on December 26, with Leicester captain Wes Morgan and Harry Maguire playing an English team player in their position. Was the transfer still correct?

Definitely. I knew, because I asked very well. It's simply not anywhere, but I'm convinced that quality prevails over a longer period of time. Although I was not very confident after the year in Leverkusen, I know what I can do. I wanted this new beginning and feel very comfortable here, the playing style is mine. I am very happy.

For which football is your team?

We know that we are not Manchester City or United, we have to work as a compact defensive team and shoot fast goals. I'm lucky enough to be able to play with a player like Riyad Mahrez. He is outstanding and would be one for Real Madrid. A lot depends on him.

How do you rate your chances of remaining on the team after Captain Morgan returns?

My performances were very solid. We have not conceded a goal with me and we win, that's good arguments. I think the coach has gained confidence in me. Wes Morgan is an important player, but he is 34 and will not be younger.

They are only borrowed until the summer and do not really know what comes next. How do you deal with that?

I am under contract until 2021 in Leverkusen. My goal is to stay in England. I want to play as often as possible. Then you will see if Leicester pulls the call option. They pulled me out of the dirt in the summer. It would be a dream to stay here. (
:scarf:)

The Premier League was a childhood dream of yours. Does English football coincide with your ideas?

The gameplay is exactly as I suspected. That's me.

What exactly is yours?

The physical game, I love the duel and the fight against the striker. The referees go much more.

Did you have to gain strength?

I was in the gym at the beginning, especially when I was out of the squad for six or seven weeks. But then I had to screw back because I would lose mobility with too much muscle mass. The right mix is what matters.

They are 27 years old and already have 61 caps in their legs. How many more should be added?

Anyone who knows me knows how important the team is to me. But I know that I have to have playing practice in order to play in a team as well. In my position, the competition is huge. I want to contribute for a few more years. Another final is clearly my goal.

-------------------------------------------

Pretty interesting, and glad to see he says he wants to stay in England.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Starting to think he's our best defender. We conceded 5 times on Saturday and I still don't think he played badly. I can't blame him for any of them.

I think he is. Harry Mag has all the potential, but right now I'd say Drago is a better defender.

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I hope we can hang on to Maguire (7th place, a serious FAC challenge & Europa League football will help our cause). But there must be some chance of him being made an offer he can't refuse.

I hope that Wes still has a future here, once recovered, but I'd be surprised if Huth returns to regular 1st team action - particularly given Claude's preference for playing out from the back.

It's more a matter of the club receiving an offer they can't refuse. Maguire signed a four (?) year contract, can't see us letting him decide whether he goes or not.

When has Wes played it out from the back?

On his day Maguire looks world class because he helps build the play from the back. His upper potential is incredibly high. 

Dragovic though has been solid as a rock. A less sexy defender but fully competent. Positionally sound, calm and has decent distribution. The fact that you don’t notice him is a compliment to his style of play. He also appears to like defending- there was a block he made on Aguero where he fist pumped like he’d scored!

For me what is interesting is that he seems to have matured. In his earlier days he had a reputation as a “bad boy” and who makes rash decisions. Not seen any of that here, he’s just got on with it and performed whenever called upon. At Leverkusen he also had a reputation for being a bad buy, but I think the interview above hints at why this may be. They played a high line which he struggled to adapt to. 

Seems like he wants to stay here and I’d be shocked if we don’t keep him. A very consistent and good player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, breadandcheese said:

Keane is playing woefully, but I still think he's a good player, so if we could buy him in the Summer for a reduced price and Dragovic, I'd be quite happy with that.

Tend to agree - hard to think of too many young players who could emerge from the crap show that is Everton with undamaged reputations . He has looked woeful at times and would want a big discount on that 30 mill 

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Starting to think he's our best defender. We conceded 5 times on Saturday and I still don't think he played badly. I can't blame him for any of them.

Him and Maguire are our two best defenders and from the start of the season I was calling for this. No disrespect to Morgan but he has seen his time and it might be wise to either move on or accept a reserve role. I feel he doesn't suit the way Puel is shaping the team.

Back to Saturday, not sure Dragovic could do much more. First goal - Albrighton gets bullied, second goal - Maguire was just short of the ball but it was a great ball in, third goal - can't remember, fourth goal - Schmeichel, fifth goal - who cares.

I remember him putting a block in to prevent Sterling scoring for 2-1 in the first half. Fantastic defending.

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Him and Maguire are our two best defenders and from the start of the season I was calling for this. No disrespect to Morgan but he has seen his time and it might be wise to either move on or accept a reserve role. I feel he doesn't suit the way Puel is shaping the team.

Back to Saturday, not sure Dragovic could do much more. First goal - Albrighton gets bullied, second goal - Maguire was just short of the ball but it was a great ball in, third goal - can't remember, fourth goal - Schmeichel, fifth goal - who cares.

I remember him putting a block in to prevent Sterling scoring for 2-1 in the first half. Fantastic defending.

Feel like Morgan would have got a block in for at least one of those goals on Saturday, so often gets in the way

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He was far more this season than any other, I thought he'd adapted far better than someone like Simpson who was struggling.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 13.41.22.png

I'd got Morgan down as almost as bad a hoofer as Simpson.

Apologies to Wes but I'm still not in a rush to see him back in the team although Maguire needs a kick up the arse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He was far more this season than any other, I thought he'd adapted far better than someone like Simpson who was struggling.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 13.41.22.png

Have you got stats on what types of passes Maguire & Morgan do though. Morgan has definitely cut down on the hopeless hoofs, but Maguire is a bit more adventurous in his passing. Morgan usually goes sideways. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Have you got stats on what types of passes Maguire & Morgan do though. Morgan has definitely cut down on the hopeless hoofs, but Maguire is a bit more adventurous in his passing. Morgan usually goes sideways. 

Both Drag and Wes benefit in these stats as they will obviously more often than not pass it over to Maguire, who is playing much of the forward balls like you say, hence his stats being down.

Wes passes less than the other guys, but the stats suggest and what I've seen suggest he's not hoofing anywhere near as much.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 15.04.46.png

• Like 2