Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dom kellett

Dragovic

24 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I can only assume we've got another 1 or 2 center backs lined up in the summer of better quality than Dragovic. If that's the case then I've got no issues, I'm sure he can be improved up on and we've got a whole world of center backs to look at.

Bold assumption

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I would've thought that'd be against the rules - in terms of doing business outside the transfer window?

If thus is the case, reckon he has been tapped up in a way.

It's not against the rules, it just means they can't complete it till the summer.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

I can only assume we've got another 1 or 2 center backs lined up in the summer of better quality than Dragovic. If that's the case then I've got no issues, I'm sure he can be improved up on and we've got a whole world of center backs to look at.

As long as I don't have to watch Wes looking like an elephant on ice trying to keep a ball under control when he's under no pressure. That's all I want. Players who can control a football, dribble, pass it and do all the basics a top level footballer should have.

I hope that is the case, I feel Dragovic has been treated a bit shabby getting dropped after his very good performances

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

I don't mind Morgan making way at all but Dragovic isn't a particular upgrade IMO. He's not as strong or as good in the air as Morgan and after conceding from so many set pieces I'd like us to get a centre half who is more physical and dominant in the air.

Dragovic is decent but I'm sure we could do better for the money. For me he's potentially another big money signing that can't make a first team spot his own just like Musa, Slimani, Iheanacho, Silva and Iborra. Have I missed anyone? There's a reason why Leverkusen have tried to get rid of him within a year of signing him and there's a reason why Puel favours Morgan over him.

It's about time our big money signings started being an upgrade on what we have rather than the "squad depth" that they have all invariably become.

I agree on strength Morgan is far better. In terms of blocks and using his physique to dominate on the floor I think he's phenomenal. I don't think he's that good in the air in all honesty. Not a weakness as such but not really a strength either. Huth is better in the air. We were crap at defending set pieces with Morgan as well.

I think Dragovic looks better on the ball, very good reader of the game, does very little wrong really. He isn't as combative as Morgan, but that for me is part of the issue - he doesn't end up in as many situations where he needs to be. I see Morgan as a reactive defender more than proactive.

Dragovic would make my first XI personally. I'd be happy to spend on him.

Your last point is starting to concern me a bit - is this a co-incidence? Players who don't perform you can say fair enough, but Dragovic has performed and it looks like he's being frozen out too. I wonder if there's a bit of a fundamental problem at the club here.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I heard something from someone back home that 'others' are sniffing around. The way Puel has dicked him, I would not be surprised if is offski leaving us with Wes and Hoof.

He can't have expected to keep the captain out though. I guess the late move was always a chance to put himself in the shop window, and he did that superbly It's just a pity Wes wasn't out for another month or 2, from my point of view.

17 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

He can't have expected to keep the captain out though. I guess the late move was always a chance to put himself in the shop window, and he did that superbly It's just a pity Wes wasn't out for another month or 2, from my point of view.

Not to say you’re making it, but what’s the shelf life of the ‘can’t keep the captain out’ argument? The man’s 34, surely we’re at a point where he can’t elbow his way into the team simply because he’s the captain. 

Drago was playing just as well, and perhaps better than Morgan. Let’s have a new permanent captain if Morgan can’t reclaim his place on footballing merit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Nigel Graham Pearson said:

Not to say you’re making it, but what’s the shelf life of the ‘can’t keep the captain out’ argument? The man’s 34, surely we’re at a point where he can’t elbow his way into the team simply because he’s the captain. 

Drago was playing just as well, and perhaps better than Morgan. Let’s have a new permanent captain if Morgan can’t reclaim his place on footballing merit. 

Fair point.

Let's hope Puel is giving Wes a final chance, who knows with Puel's approach to selection. It is possible we might have just seen that with Simpson, but with Amartey lasting about 5 minutes! Now we are back to Simmo (god love him, always be a hero and all), but he can't be part of the long term plan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Why not if he was playing well, which is what he was doing?? Shocking Team Management tactics by Puel.  To play players on past reputation disregarding the current form of others holding the shirt is why Shakey screwed up. If he goes, yet another Fuch hope by those that run the Club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Just makes me think someone or some people are pressuring him to play certain players.

I wouldn't think so more likely he want's to see the whole squad perform to see who to let go in the Summer and who to keep. He's giving them all game while he makes up his mind.  I think we could be in for a big Summer in the Market.

As for Morgan vs Dragovich the Captain is not chosen lightly at the start of the year. One of the deciding factors is that he'll

'll play when available unless for tactical reasons like Rest etc.

It's unfortunate for Drago the he's up against the Captain, But I'm sure he new that when he signed.

I think we could be in for a big Summer in the Market.

19 hours ago, Gerard said:

Maybe but for me it's not absurd to say Morgan slightly edges Dragovic. It's an apples and oranges argument and it's not like Dragovic is Jaap Stam, for me he's a decent PL defender, no more. 

I looked at some stats the other day from both of their last games. Drag hit it long 20% of the time compared to what I think was 11% of the time for Morgan.

41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I looked at some stats the other day from both of their last games. Drag hit it long 20% of the time compared to what I think was 11% of the time for Morgan.

Nothing wrong with long balls if they are hitting the mark. Hoof and hopes the problem. Would you have dropped Hoddle or pick him every week?

Edited by sylofox
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Stupid stat.  There may been more player movement up front that Dragovic was trying to hit. Wes on the other hand normally hoofs forward to no one in particular. 

6 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Nothing wrong with long balls if they are hitting the mark. Hoof and hopes the problem. Would you have dropped Hoddle or pick him every week?

Our responses crossed.  Spot on my friend?

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Wes’s hoofs hit the mark every time??

Did I say all the time? I was talking about a two game comparison. Their pass success rates are similar, so either Morgan doesn't "hoof" it anywhere near as much as people think he does, or they are more accurate than people think they are.