Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
benn

Philippe Coutinho v Riyad Mahrez comparison

17 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Coutinho being held up as an example of consistency is something I can't buy into. Hazard, Sanchez (Ignoring this year) or De Bruyne? Fair enough, but not Coutinho.

With a gun held at my head, I'd say Coutinho edges it purely on the basis he's the one the top club has gone for and that he's played at this level for a bit longer - yet Coutinho's always had a far better luxury of playing in an an ultra attacking side. Can we honestly say that about us? I don't think Coutinho would get anything like his numbers for Liverpool in our side.

If Mahrez played in a top side and didn't post Coutinho's kind of numbers, I'd hold my hands up and say the fees are justified. Coutinho's fee is hugely inflated by both the club he played for and his nationality.

it's only a good thing for us, in the sense that coutinho's fee now sets a rough estimate that we'll have to demand to even think about selling mahrez. 80m+ will be the fee in the end I reckon.

18 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Coutinho being held up as an example of consistency is something I can't buy into. Hazard, Sanchez (Ignoring this year) or De Bruyne? Fair enough, but not Coutinho.

With a gun held at my head, I'd say Coutinho edges it purely on the basis he's the one the top club has gone for and that he's played at this level for a bit longer - yet Coutinho's always had a far better luxury of playing in an an ultra attacking side. Can we honestly say that about us? I don't think Coutinho would get anything like his numbers for Liverpool in our side.

If Mahrez played in a top side and didn't post Coutinho's kind of numbers, I'd hold my hands up and say the fees are justified. Coutinho's fee is hugely inflated by both the club he played for and his nationality.

This nails all the points for me. Mahrez in a team that has the ball all the time would be scary. Also if Mahrez was called Mahrezinho or whatever it would definitely enhance his value.

On 1/7/2018 at 14:59, sm1 said:

Although attacking wise i don't think there is much difference in ability between Mahrez & Coutinho, i think the difference is how Barca want to use them. Coutinho is seen as a Iniesta replacement and is comfortable playing through the middle. Mahrez is far more comfortable on the wing and hasn't played great through the middle when we've used him there. Personally I think Hazard is a better CAM.

you do realise mahrez upturn in form has coincided with him been more central right?  he is no longer pegged to the side of the pitch.

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

you do realise mahrez upturn in form has coincided with him been more central right?  he is no longer pegged to the side of the pitch.

It coincided with:

A stronger midfield

Less hoofball

Playing Gray

Less defensive duties (he's far higher up the pitch, gets the ball higher as well) 

Switching positions (Albrighton, Gray)

Vardy being the bait and not the focal point anymore

The whole team is now built around him. The turgid, predictable, rigid 4-4-2 was killing his game, especially with a shitty midfield (until Iborra came).

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Right on the money. There is a premium on Brazilian, German Argentinian and English Players :ph34r:

2 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

It coincided with:

A stronger midfield

Less hoofball

Playing Gray

Less defensive duties (he's far higher up the pitch, gets the ball higher as well) 

Switching positions (Albrighton, Gray)

Vardy being the bait and not the focal point anymore

The whole team is now built around him. The turgid, predictable, rigid 4-4-2 was killing his game, especially with a shitty midfield (until Iborra came).

Those as well, but I am responding to a post claiming he is best on the wing.

4 hours ago, TheHitman™ said:

Right on the money. There is a premium on Brazilian, German Argentinian and English Players :ph34r:

Ever read the book soccernomics? They've done some proper research into this and they reckon the three over-priced nationalities are Brazilian, Dutch and English. I can believe that as well.

13 hours ago, Foxin hell said:

Mahrez would score atleast 12-15 goals along with around 15 assists if he was playing for a bigger team. 

he’s on course to do more than that this season, for us.