Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Europa does 7th get a place?

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's one hell of call given a similar side we sent out to that drew 0-0 with Fleetwood.

Everton did a bit of mix and match in the Europa League and got battered by half decent French and Italian teams.

we'd be able to get through qualifying quite comfortably I think but then the group stages would be a different kettle of fish. we would have to play strong XI's then

18 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If we're going to play the kids and ressies I'd rather we finish 8th. What's the point bothering getting into Europe if your not going to take it seriously?

I remember that absurd situation about ten years ago when Villa put the reserves out in the last 16 of the UEFA Cup because they wanted to rest players for the Saturday to try and qualify for next year's UEFA Cup lol

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Our reserves couldn't beat Fleetwood... or get a shot on goal lol

Hardly a great sample size. Of the team I put as a second string:

Slimani

Barnes Iheanacho Gray

Iborra James

Fuchs Morgan Huth Amartey

Jakupovic

3 of them either cost £25m+ or we have refused that

3 were regulars in a team that won the PL

James may have been a PL winning regular if he wasn't injured

Iborra won the Europa League three times

Barnes and Amartey are prospects and Jakupovic is experienced.

The reality may be different but that team should be enough against a lot of the teams that qualify for the first group proper especially as our coefficient should be reasonably good after getting to Champions League QF.

I'd be happy to concentrate on the Premier League and play this side and maybe be a bit more proactive if our second XI was failing after two or three games.

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It affected our performances in the league though didn't it, also there'd be a few more game due to having to qualify.

We stayed up didn't we, the next steps European football, which you don't seem to want

So should we just scrape relegation every season, and you'll be happy? Avoid europe at all costs because it may effect our mid table finish?

Other than winning the league again I'm not sure what we should really be aiming for if it's not European competitions

• Like 1

Just now, MrSpaM said:

We stayed up didn't we, the next steps European football, which you don't seem to want

So should we just scrape relegation every season, and you'll be happy? Avoid europe at all costs because it may effect our mid table finish?

Other than winning the league again I'm not sure what we should really be aiming for if it's not European competitions

Oh that wasn't me, I was just pointing out that we were pretty terrible at juggling it last year.

Under Puel I'd expect us to put together a decent enough squad that can cope with going for a good European run and still do well in the league.

I'd absolutely love us to be in the Europa League next season. As well as the great away days and games for the fans, it gives us a very real chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

Europe semi regularly should absolutely be our aim in order to progress as a club and if we get into Europe, we should be going full tilt to win the Europa. 

There is fvck all point staying in the premier league for the sake of staying in the premier league and not trying to progress. If you aren't moving forwards you're effectively moving backwards. Half the clubs in the bottom half of the league have all had good finishes in the last few years but have not progressed and look them now. Southampton, West Brom, Stoke & West Ham have all had good finishes and 3 of the 4 are proper in the shit at the minute. It is always going to be difficult to balance Europe and the league but you will never progress as a club if you don't try.

The risk of relegation is only ever a season away really for everyone other than the top 6, so you might as well try and do something whilst you are in a strong position.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

I think we should utilise the squad fully and play two different teams. We could still play both these teams with the squad today.

Vardy

Albrighton Okazaki Albrighton

Ndidi Silva

Chilwell Dragovic Maguire Simpson

Schmeichel

Slimani

Barnes Iheanacho Gray

Iborra James

Fuchs Morgan Huth Amartey

Jakupovic

There's no reason why our second string shouldn't be able to beat 75% of the teams in this competition and qualify in a six game group. As the season progresses and we can start prioritising it as the competition gets harder.

6 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I know we’ve come

to expect a lot from Albrighton, but that’s just silly! 

So good they played him twice.

1 hour ago, wardyfox86 said:

Could an Arsenal without Sanchez be caught? Wouldn't need to worry about if 7th qualified then. They have this year's Europa to juggle too, although they tend to play a few kids in it. 

If we were 4 or 5 points better off at this stage I'd give us a chance, but I think the gap is too big to make up. 

12 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

We struggle to get a team together that's fit to play in the league and fa cups, how we going to manage a Europe campaign?

Since we have an enormous squad with duplicates at every position... I am guessing you neglected the /s for sarcasm?

19 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Could an Arsenal without Sanchez be caught? Wouldn't need to worry about if 7th qualified then. They have this year's Europa to juggle too, although they tend to play a few kids in it. 

They looked bang average against Bournemouth. If they don't replace him with someone really good that can settle right away they could be caught.