Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. Peterborough.. (A) F A cup.

I've got this horrible feeling we're going to look at Everton being out of the cup and think we'll need to rest half a team, and consequently we'll be beaten.

Peterborough have a great record at home to us. It's absolutely ridiculous how bad we are there. I almost wonder if it's a cockiness that we always go there, take thousands and expect to roll them over.

These are a very decent attacking side too for their level.

We should win, but I've got a very bad feeling.

Main issue with fleetwood away was the formation 433 was terrible.

With Iborra and silva in the middle with our current formation i think it would be hard to lose. I wouldn't start Barnes or anyone that isnt in the current team/bench. Id want to start maguire but hes too important and would rather have him 100% everton. Mahrez and Vardy are a must for the bench and to bring on after half time if we are not winning.

Kasper

Amartey  Drag Benny/Huth  Fuchs

Albrighton  Iborra   silva     Gray

Okazaki Iheanacho

Edited by les-tah

Forgot the Everton game was on the following Wednesday, but our players should be capable of playing 3 games in a week with Swansea at home to follow the Everton game.

After that it's Saturday football throughout February.

We're trying to keep a foot in both competitions, which is always tricky. Play your strongest XI away @ Peterborough and you'll likely advance in the FA cup, but you may end up dropping points against Everton. Rest all 11 starters and play the backups, and it wouldn't be unthinkable to lose and spoil your chance at a cup run. It will be interesting to see how Puel handles this challenge.

Personally, i think that Puel  believes our squad is deep enough to rest most of the starting XI. Everton, having been recently defeated in the FA cup by Liverpool will be rested and waiting for us. Given where they are in the league table, they will be focused on trying to get 3 points closer to 7th. Maintaining our league position is likely to be an easier route to Europe than winning the FA cup, and so the league should be our priority.

If we get to the quarterfinals, I can see wanting to field your strongest XI, as you'd be a win away from Wembley. But until then I think you'll see a very rotated lineup.

The squad should be utilised fully for the Peterborough match. Even a draw is a good result for us and we can finish the job at Leicester. Our squad players should be embarrassed to be defeated to a League One outfit. I'd pick:

----------Iheanacho--------------

Gray-------Silva----------Diabate

----------King Iborra---------------

Fuchs Huth Dragovic Simpson

------------Jakupovic---------------

Give Huth and Simpson some match fitness and Iheanacho a chance to shine again. Play the same XI against Everton that we did against Watford and reassess again for the Swansea match. Win against Everton and it's nor far from a straight shoot out between ourselves and Burnley for 7th place and probable Europa Cup football.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The squad should be utilised fully for the Peterborough match. Even a draw is a good result for us and we can finish the job at Leicester. Our squad players should be embarrassed to be defeated to a League One outfit. I'd pick:

----------Iheanacho--------------

Gray-------Silva----------Diabate

----------King Iborra---------------

Fuchs Huth Dragovic Simpson

------------Jakupovic---------------

Give Huth and Simpson some match fitness and Iheanacho a chance to shine again. Play the same XI against Everton that we did against Watford and reassess again for the Swansea match. Win against Everton and it's nor far from a straight shoot out between ourselves and Burnley for 7th place and probable Europa Cup football.

I agree in principle about our squad being capable and should beat them, but it’s risky to have a defence that have never played together whilst having a midfield that have never played together that includes a debutante. 

I would like to see - 

Jakupovich

simmo  Huth  Harry  Fuchs 

Iborra Silva 

Gray                        Albrighton 

Shinji     

Kelechi 

with Gray and Albrighton interchanging throughout.

Just less risky I feel and gives some much needed game time to Huth, Silva , etc.

We can bring the insulin once we can see the win....

Cant be messing about, I want to go Wembley

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

We're trying to keep a foot in both competitions, which is always tricky. Play your strongest XI away @ Peterborough and you'll likely advance in the FA cup, but you may end up dropping points against Everton. Rest all 11 starters and play the backups, and it wouldn't be unthinkable to lose and spoil your chance at a cup run. It will be interesting to see how Puel handles this challenge.

Personally, i think that Puel  believes our squad is deep enough to rest most of the starting XI. Everton, having been recently defeated in the FA cup by Liverpool will be rested and waiting for us. Given where they are in the league table, they will be focused on trying to get 3 points closer to 7th. Maintaining our league position is likely to be an easier route to Europe than winning the FA cup, and so the league should be our priority.

If we get to the quarterfinals, I can see wanting to field your strongest XI, as you'd be a win away from Wembley. But until then I think you'll see a very rotated lineup.

But why is  trying to just qualify to enter a cup competition more important than actually trying to win the cup competition we're already in?

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

Another early morning for US-based Foxes; being shown on FS1.

The scheduling is so biased toward televising the big clubs, vice the most interesting ties.  And we're always on   :thumbup:   WE-R-MASSIVE

round4.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

But why is  trying to just qualify to enter a cup competition more important than actually trying to win the cup competition we're already in?

I get your point, I just put more value on finishing higher in the league table than making a cup run this year. A cup run to me is more of a gamble. Its a tournament where the draw will likely have the biggest impact on how far you go. This year we have something within our grasp that requires no luck or good fortune. Defeating Everton puts a lot of distance between us and them. If we keep up our form we can firmly secure 7th place and even start to dream about catching 6th. 

Plus, it's not like playing our squad players against Peterborough ensures certain failure. There's a really good chance that they come away with a win or defeat them at home in a replay. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I get your point, I just put more value on finishing higher in the league table than making a cup run this year. A cup run to me is more of a gamble. Its a tournament where the draw will likely have the biggest impact on how far you go. This year we have something within our grasp that requires no luck or good fortune. Defeating Everton puts a lot of distance between us and them. If we keep up our form we can firmly secure 7th place and even start to dream about catching 6th. 

Plus, it's not like playing our squad players against Peterborough ensures certain failure. There's a really good chance that they come away with a win or defeat them at home in a replay. 

Assuming you're not British (apologies if incorrect), perhaps you're not aware of our fondness for knock out competition and the excitement a cup run can produce. 

32 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Assuming you're not British (apologies if incorrect), perhaps you're not aware of our fondness for knock out competition and the excitement a cup run can produce. 

Well, I'm English. And it is exciting. But I'd prefer we use our multi-million pound bench warmers for the FA cup, bench warmers who are now playing well together, and save most of the first teamers for the fight for seventh.

To win the cup we need to beat one or more of Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. To get seventh we need to beat everyone eighth or lower/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, murphy said:

Europe about €30m more important? Just a guess. 

Edited by FoxFossil