Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. Peterborough.. (A) F A cup.

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I get your point, I just put more value on finishing higher in the league table than making a cup run this year. A cup run to me is more of a gamble. Its a tournament where the draw will likely have the biggest impact on how far you go. This year we have something within our grasp that requires no luck or good fortune. Defeating Everton puts a lot of distance between us and them. If we keep up our form we can firmly secure 7th place and even start to dream about catching 6th. 

Plus, it's not like playing our squad players against Peterborough ensures certain failure. There's a really good chance that they come away with a win or defeat them at home in a replay. 

Well it's not really a gamble to try and win a football match. No more a gamble than the players turning up for training all week.

And let's face it, we get into the Europa League and what happens? We play a reserve team against a load of minnows less well know than Peterborough United. Hardly a dream.

Let's just win this fvcking game and try to get a fvcking trophy. No excuses for anything less.

• Like 3

I'd rather qualify for the Europa league through winning the FA cup than the league, besides it's not mutually exclusive anyway. I'd be more pissed off if we played a weak team against Peterborough and lost than we played a weak team at Everton and lost.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I get your point, I just put more value on finishing higher in the league table than making a cup run this year. A cup run to me is more of a gamble. Its a tournament where the draw will likely have the biggest impact on how far you go. This year we have something within our grasp that requires no luck or good fortune. Defeating Everton puts a lot of distance between us and them. If we keep up our form we can firmly secure 7th place and even start to dream about catching 6th. 

Plus, it's not like playing our squad players against Peterborough ensures certain failure. There's a really good chance that they come away with a win or defeat them at home in a replay. 

For me, trophies are everything and the FA cup is the big one that is missing and more prestigious than the Europa league.  Even Cov have got one.

Once it is won it is in the bank forever.

Our first two rounds are/were against L1 opposition and after that it is just three games from the final.  I don't think that we have ever had a better chance of winning it in my lifetime as I don't think that we have ever had a better team.  We must be Fifth or sixth favourites.

I would swap 10 7th place finishes for 1 FA cup.

3 hours ago, Mint23 said:

It’s a very sad state of affairs in modern football when people will sacrifice the FA cup so we can dream of finishing in 6th place! Football at this level is about winning, realistically we’re never going to win the league again or even challenge for a champions league spot so surely a couple of trips to Wembley and some silverware is the dream?? 

I don't think we need to "sacrifice" the FA Cup for the league. I want to see a virtual second string against Peterborough because I believe that still should be enough to beat a League One side. We can still play players like Iheanacho, Silva, Gray, Iborra, Slimani, Fuchs, etc. All of those would get into any League One side easily. 

I want us to prioritise the Everton match but only because we can afford to with our squad, I don't see that as "sacrificing" the FA Cup. If and when we get into the 5th round then there are no midweek fixtures either side of that game and we can put out the best team available but I trust the squad to see us through against Peterborough.

If we win this game and either WBA beat Liverpool or Newcastle beat Chelsea (or both). We have a great chance.

At the minute with Arsenal, Burnley and Everton out we are clear 6th favourites for the cup.

If one or more of the big 6 go out this round then the other 4 are drawn against each other in the last 16, while we get MK / Cov. We have a great chance.

Play the full strength team!!! Would anyone say rest players if we had Swansea away in the league on Sat and Everton away on Wed?

No, then why does the Cup make a difference?

If Kasper, Maguire and Mahrez play we go through. 

Give Silva a game to build an understanding with Ndidi - long term our best midfield partnership.

The only change I would make is Ian Nacho in for Vardy as Vardy looked exhausted against Watford and Nacho can have time to build on his goals against Fleetwood.

Kapser

Amarey

Drago

Maguire (Huth some time when/if the game is won)

Chilwell

Mahrez

Ndidi

Silva

Albrighton

Okazaki

Nacho

bench: Jak, Huth, Fuchs, Barnes, Diabetes, Gray, Chaudry(sp?)

On 21/01/2018 at 02:23, SheppyFox said:

Wait I just read one of your replies, I actually think we’re in agreement this could be a difficult fixture.

On 21/01/2018 at 02:23, Line-X said:

You'll find that actually reading the other persons post can be quite beneficial in that respect. 

Only just got round to reading this thread, have you two shagged yet?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

I'd rather qualify for the Europa league through winning the FA cup than the league, besides it's not mutually exclusive anyway. I'd be more pissed off if we played a weak team against Peterborough and lost than we played a weak team at Everton and lost.

Silverware is what it’s all about!

Everton once finished 4th to reach the Champions League. Newcastle and Leeds have also qualified for that competition. But none of those 3 have won anything for a long time and you don’t get a medal for a high league finish unless it’s first place!

I don’t think we will the FA cup but we should have a real go because our league position is healthy. Realistically Arsenal are too far ahead to catch and though I would be disappointed if we finish lower than 7th it wouldn’t be a disaster. To get relegated with 34 points and 14 games left would take a spectacular implosion so little risk there. 

All that said if we played the same team as we did versus Fleetwood at home I wouldn’t be too upset as I thought it was a strong team. First half performance was poor but we had a good second half. 

But the last thing we all want to see is getting knocked out by a lower league team after an inept performance. If a top 6 team beats us or if a lower league team puts in the match of their life and we go out, then fair enough. But say we lost to Fleetwood away with the performance and team we played that day and it would be unforgivable!

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

To get relegated with 34 points and 14 games left would take a spectacular implosion so little risk there. 

It would almost be like the manager who just lead you to the most unlikely league title being the guy who is also sending you down.

Or being top of the league and cruising in Feb and then scraping a play off place.

Or being 3 nil up at half time and losing 4-3.

Leicestershire la la la Leicestershire la la la.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

It would almost be like the manager who just lead you to the most unlikely league title being the guy who is also sending you down.

Or being top of the league and cruising in Feb and then scraping a play off place.

Or being 3 nil up at half time and losing 4-3.

Leicestershire la la la Leicestershire la la la.

lol don’t jinx us!

7 hours ago, Mint23 said:

It’s a very sad state of affairs in modern football when people will sacrifice the FA cup so we can dream of finishing in 6th place! Football at this level is about winning, realistically we’re never going to win the league again or even challenge for a champions league spot so surely a couple of trips to Wembley and some silverware is the dream?? 

The Premier League is top drawer, the biggest by far. FA & League pale by comparison, nice to win but our position in the league is the most important for our club.

"In my opinion"

Edited by gurru991
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

The Premier League is top drawer, the biggest by far. FA & League pale by comparison, nice to win but our position in the league is the most important for our club.

"In my opinion"

Our place in the league is pretty much assured already, so let's go for the cup.

An FA Cup run really shouldn't impact on our league position as once you've cemented yourself in 7th you usually cut adrift from 8th and the dross below them. We've a decent run of fixtures coming up so we have a great chance of being able to manage both. 

I also think if you're going to have a squad like ours you have to rotate in the cup or league to give these players a chance and keep them primed to play if needs be. We just have to always make sure that the team we pick is balanced and effective as a unit. 

I'd like to see Sam Hughes rather than YB29. He did a job for us last season but he's a sending off and a costly mistake waiting to happen when he's featured for us in the cups this season. Hughes looks a beast for the U23's and League One fodder shouldn't over raw him.