Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. Peterborough.. (A) F A cup.

24 minutes ago, notnow john said:

I'd still like to win the competition but it's lost most of its glamour and excitement.

It used to be like a gorgeous hot girl that everyone was obsessed with, now it's more like

a frumpy middle aged aunt that only gets offers at the end of the night from the pissed

and desperate 

Oddly enough, I'd never considered this analogy.

41 minutes ago, notnow john said:

I'd still like to win the competition but it's lost most of its glamour and excitement.

It used to be like a gorgeous hot girl that everyone was obsessed with, now it's more like

a frumpy middle aged aunt that only gets offers at the end of the night from the pissed

and desperate 

apparently rooney has read this and is now desperate to win it ......................

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Ha ha ha, not negative pal Just saying it how I see it, would love us to win it still obviously! I just think as a competition the FA Cup has lost it's fervour and status.

Couldn’t agree more mate. Remember when we used to watch the FA cup on ‘Grandstand’ with the whole build up to the game. All the players in their whistle and flutes, at the hotels, talking to them on the coaches travelling to Wembley etc.

Loved it..

3 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Sadly Arm, imo, the magic of the cup died years ago! 

Obviously would still love to win it but as a tournament the hype and excitement are a fraction of how it was in 70s & 80s!

That depends on the fans. They/we  show Massive interest, then the media will follow...

If we allow ourselves to follow the media and punditry, its our own fault...

And not one fan on any forum, can shout out Hypocrisy...

Its up to the fans..if they WANT IT....

However we are in a new era, where top clubs, can really field top 2nd teams, the fans then need to

understand that balance has middle PL clubs use their own slide rules for rotation...

Recognising which players, can be selected and arguably put down as 1st choice, depending on good

or bad league runs..ie Our team at the time against Man.city, they all had played well in our only successes

before Puel...

Ex-players jumping on the Bandwagon....to criticise...Strange the recent past, as the players of now, when

selling themselves to present or future clubs, wont put down on their cvs  ..Won only the FA-cup!!

They chose their careers, for themselves to win tournaments, the top players want everything,

Some 'also rans' ambitious players, also want to win everything, and will jump to get the right transfer.

Even the one who have accepted their lot, that FA cup gives them a chance to smell and for a day play

with and   alongside the big boys...Probably shows the difference of English attitudes...

The rest of Europe want want to win, English...ah fk it.!!!  Including when producing their best at work...

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Couldn’t agree more mate. Remember when we used to watch the FA cup on ‘Grandstand’ with the whole build up to the game. All the players in their whistle and flutes, at the hotels, talking to them on the coaches travelling to Wembley etc.

Loved it..

Exactly bud..... back then it was a national institution ,with most, other than the fans of the favourites, wanting the underdogs to win! lol

I’d say same team as against Fleetwood return leg maybe with the addition of the ( Puells words!! )new Mahrez Diabate, really need to finish this first time of asking and really hoping Iheanacho continue his fine scoring exploits which will hopefully rebuild his confidence  so I’ll go for a Leicester win 1-4 !!

COME ON YOU FOXES !!

4 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Sadly Arm, imo, the magic of the cup died years ago! 

Obviously would still love to win it but as a tournament the hype and excitement are a fraction of how it was in 70s & 80s!

That’s because age has dulled you friend. The magic is still there if you look deeply enough. Don’t tell me the plutocratic world of soccer has robbed you of your inner child. Put those specs back on and look. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

That depends on the fans. They/we  show Massive interest, then the media will follow...

If we allow ourselves to follow the media and punditry, its our own fault...

And not one fan on any forum, can shout out Hypocrisy...

Its up to the fans..if they WANT IT....

However we are in a new era, where top clubs, can really field top 2nd teams, the fans then need to

understand that balance has middle PL clubs use their own slide rules for rotation...

Recognising which players, can be selected and arguably put down as 1st choice, depending on good

or bad league runs..ie Our team at the time against Man.city, they all had played well in our only successes

before Puel...

Ex-players jumping on the Bandwagon....to criticise...Strange the recent past, as the players of now, when

selling themselves to present or future clubs, wont put down on their cvs  ..Won only the FA-cup!!

They chose their careers, for themselves to win tournaments, the top players want everything,

Some 'also rans' ambitious players, also want to win everything, and will jump to get the right transfer.

Even the one who have accepted their lot, that FA cup gives them a chance to smell and for a day play

with and   alongside the big boys...Probably shows the difference of English attitudes...

The rest of Europe want want to win, English...ah fk it.!!!  Including when producing their best at work...

The vast fortunes of the EPL have shifted the priorities and killed the beauty and romance of the FA Cup though fuchs. Until 1/4 finals most fans of top flight teams and attendances reflect that :(

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Loved it..

FA-cup games was never on Grandstand. Only the reporting and build up!!

The shame is and this is what you are inting at, is that  , one could watch easy 2-5 fa-cup games on 

Normal tv, including replays. Now the football Fan rarely sees any cup matches, cos the pay-tv have the rights

and not Sky Even means The aurora around the  FA cup ,One cant smell from any media outlet as before.

But isnt it the fans, if they want the rassamataz, get down the ground and shout s s loud as in a league game,

the fans should be carrying the dream,  dont blame it on...the boogy!!!

7 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

The vast fortunes of the EPL have shifted the priorities and killed the beauty and romance of the FA Cup though fuchs. Until 1/4 finals most fans of top flight teams and attendances reflect that :(

Whose priorities..!!!  Like I said whos to blame...or have the fans accepted they are the Lackies of the Media circus.

It might seem strange to many I would prefer the FA cup, compared to a 3rd or 4th place.

I have a few Manu ( yes the Club that lacked respect For the FACUP) spurs and Arsenal fans, and they

Say the same...ok its only a 22 mixed bunch, but we agree a pot is a pot,   4th and getting knocked out in the CL

empty Bragging right pockets...

22 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

That’s because age has dulled you friend. The magic is still there if you look deeply enough. Don’t tell me the plutocratic world of soccer has robbed you of your inner child. Put those specs back on and look. 

Ha ha ha , always have that Peter Pan and BTS outlook, I was referring to my perception of how the FA Cup is viewed in general now!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Whose priorities..!!!  Like I said whos to blame...or have the fans accepted they are the Lackies of the Media circus.

It might seem strange to many I would prefer the FA cup, compared to a 3rd or 4th place.

I have a few Manu ( yes the Club that lacked respect For the FACUP) spurs and Arsenal fans, and they

Say the same...ok its only a 22 mixed bunch, but we agree a pot is a pot,   4th and getting knocked out in the CL

empty Bragging right pockets...

I think the fans have largely made their voices heard loud and clear. The cost of a ticket, fixture changes etc but it always falls on deaf ears. We still love the fa cup but the industry is sapping everything it can out of the game with as many games crammed in as possible. The fa cup has suffered because of that rather than fans turning their back on it. How can we turn up in force when only half the stadium is open?

Edited by TheLittleBigMan

30 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

FA-cup games was never on Grandstand. Only the reporting and build up!!

The shame is and this is what you are inting at, is that  , one could watch easy 2-5 fa-cup games on 

Normal tv, including replays. Now the football Fan rarely sees any cup matches, cos the pay-tv have the rights

and not Sky Even means The aurora around the  FA cup ,One cant smell from any media outlet as before.

But isnt it the fans, if they want the rassamataz, get down the ground and shout s s loud as in a league game,

the fans should be carrying the dream,  dont blame it on...the boogy!!!

Coverage used to start at about 10.00 am on both BBC1 and ITV is what Col is referring too, it was massive and must watch!

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

3 minutes ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

I think the fans have largely made their voices heard loud and clear. The cost of a ticket, fixture changes etc but it always falls on deaf ears. We still love the fa cup but the industry is sapping everything it can out of the game with as many games crammed in as possible. The fa cup has suffered because of that rather than fans turning their back on it. 

Fair point..Plus membersjip, with no ticket guarrantee, puts a false light on ThiNgs, sold out desite that grounds are not full..

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Fair point..Plus membersjip, with no ticket guarrantee, puts a false light on ThiNgs, sold out desite that grounds are not full..

I still believe in fan power though! We just need to keep reminding ourselves of it. Very difficult with how the premier league has shaped the modern game. Keep on keeping on :scarf:

Football is the national game of the people, Not the Premier League or the FA. They just grabbed ownership of it. The Fans from all Clubs need to get together nationally and take them on to force change. It's never been easier than now with the Internet and Social media.

It’s a really sad state of affairs for any of us older guys who remember when the cup was magical. Back then it was a rare chance to actually see some live football on tv if nothing else! I think most of the modern dumbing down must come from ownership and not the managers as league places are worth much more financially than a cup win. It’s been going downhill ever since the champions league offered us 3 and then 4 places so all the big boys care about is qualifying for that.nothing will change until they offer the 4th champions league spot to the FA cup winner, let’s see how serious teams take it then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Coverage used to start at about 10.00 am on both BBC1 and ITV is what Col is referring too, it was massive and must watch!

Ok..get that, but isnt that our own schedules have changed, plus you are looking at fond memories...like me from our youth.

I loved watching the Autumn-March saturday sport ITVor BBC, with my dad.cosy winter months. Baked beans on toast, or

One of these (For us) new fangled precooked pukka   steak n kidney pies. Listening to the reports and sports interviews,

Knowing that week, we werent going to the ground..Horse racing, Wrestling with gud ol mick macmanus, or chosing

too watch bob monkhouse, old movies reels, or turn over and watch Motor speedboat racing.

Apprehinsively waiting for the scores

or Listening to a match on the radio.  THEN... one of those great Westerns...Cheyenne/Laramie /Wagon train...etc

We had the Leicester buff delivered, so sharing the paper, but first looking at the city Score headlines, then next the Tigers.

Soon afterwards mam coming from grans, picking up a nice cake, from lewiss' s and a couple of portions of Fish n chips,

from Corner chippy, after getting off the bus, with the hands full of shopping. My older Sisters coming home,

so They can babysit me..Mam dad getting ready to go out to the New parks social club...

We ..my sisters and I then settling down,for 2-3 hrs tv..Comedy, show, film...bed, with the Leicester Buff.

Before MOTD was thought of...

Some Saturdays, with Whole  family  at Grans, After the mams and aunts had done the weekly shopping.

Grandstand, results thenthe  1st Dr who.. after out to the pub, with a childrens room, underway stopping

with 6-8 uncles looking through   North's toy and modelshop on Melton road, taking turns to press the

Button to watch the built up model trains....

The same in summer, but then the family off to Bradgate Park  evening  walks, or wait til Sunday Picnics

by the babbling brooks, where 10-12 years later one will remembrr clumsy moments with your 1st girl,

Without the family horde tagging behind.....

But you see, that was another world, another time, when wedding celebrations at the Blackbird,

or tother, cost  £200 with all the trimmings and a knees up for 100 guests.

No Tvs in the pub lounge, no fking game machines....Just a nice old FA cup, to dream about ..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Ok..get that, but isnt that our own schedules have changed, plus you are looking at fond memories...like me from our youth.

I loved watching the Autumn-March saturday sport ITVor BBC, with my dad.cosy winter months. Baked beans on toast, or

One of these (For us) new fangled precooked pukka   steak n kidney pies. Listening to the reports and sports interviews,

Knowing that week, we werent going to the ground..Horse racing, Wrestling with gud ol mick macmanus, or chosing

too watch bob monkhouse, old movies reels, or turn over and watch Motor speedboat racing.

Then waiting for the scores

or Listening to a match on the radio.  THEN... one of those great Westerns...Cheyenne/Laramie /Wagon train...etc

We had the Leicester buff delivered, so sharing the paper, but first looking at the city Score headlines, then next the Tigers.

Then mam coming from grans, picking up a nice cake, from lewiss' s and a couple of portions of Fish n chips,

from Corner chippy, after getting off the bus, with the hands full of shopping. My older Sisters coming home,

so They can babysit me..Mam dad getting ready to go out to the New parks social club...

We ..my sisters and I then settling down,for 2-3 hrs tv..Comedy, show, film...bed, with the Leicester Buff.

Before MOTD was thought of...

Some Saturdays, with Whole  family  at Grans, After the mams and aunts had done the weekly shopping.

Grandstand, results thenthe  1st Dr who.. after out to the pub, with a childrens room, underway stopping

with 6-8 uncles looking through   North's toy and modelshop on Melton road, taking turns to press the

Button to watch the built up model trains....

The same in summer, but then the family off to Bradgate Park  evening  walks, or wait til Sunday Picnics

by the babbling brooks, where 10-12 years later one will remembrr clumsy moments with your 1st girl,

Without the family horde tagging behind.....

But you see, that was another world, another time, when wedding celebrations at the Blackbird,

or tother, cost  £200 with all the trimmings and a knees up for 100 guests.

No Tvs in the pub lounge, no fking game machines....Just a nice old FA cup, to dream about ..

lol Brilliant. You missed huddling round the radio for the massive excitement of the 3rd round draw :P happy days!

30 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

lol Brilliant. You missed huddling round the radio for the massive excitement of the 3rd round draw :P happy days!

With a bag of scratchings, and a glass of Dandylion and Burdock,

or aunties ginger beer plus city scarf around your kneck...:D

Then throwing those goodies  across the floor  cos,

we've  drawn  fking Arsenal (Actually kids didnt know the fk-word then)

In my day you daren't   throw anything across the room, we just wanted to...

But pulling your sisters hair because they were laughing , one got away with....then having pretend arguments,

one forgot the injustice of it all, and asked gran for a 99 icecream, that mam had Refused 5 minutes before.  Ahhh yes a great a life...

Edited by fuchsntf

44 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

With a bag of scratchings, and a glass of Dandylion and Burdock,

or aunties ginger beer plus city scarf around your kneck...:D

Then throwing those goodies  across the floor  cos,

we've  drawn  fking Arsenal (Actually kids didnt know the fk-word then)

In my day you daren't   throw anything across the room, we just wanted to...

But pulling your sisters hair because they were laughing , one got away with....then having pretend arguments,

one forgot the injustice of it all, and asked gran for a 99 icecream, that mam had Refused 5 minutes before.  Ahhh yes a great a life...

Are you me by any chance?

Not sure why everyone is looking back with rose tinted glasses so much. The FA cup is still class. Would love it if we won it. For a cup competition the away attendances you get prove that it still has its magic for real supporters whatever people say. 

Roll on Saturday...up the city. 

• Like 2