Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. Peterborough.. (A) F A cup.

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I remember when....I built my 1st ship from Airfix > Scharnhorst-<   Then my wooden catamaran, and sailde it on

Abbey-park boating lake....Without sinking it...and guess what....????

Afterwards Went to the fking fa-cup 3rd round..!!!  

That was before Clever snot nosed little buggers like you..:P

I had that kit, mine didn't float!

But it was the 70's, so I think my build quality was just an homage to British production engineering of the time. lol

22 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I honestly don't know why people get so upset at the idea of not playing a full strength team against a League One side. Plenty of players in the squad need game time and this is a perfect opportunity for Claude to give them that. I do expect there to be a better mix than Fleetwood away but players like Simpson & Huth (injury), Silva (Rudkin), Barnes (youth), Slimani (shop window), Iheanacho (confidence) and Diabaté (new) really should feature. 

I agree, we'll still have a far superior side out and it's a chance for players with something to prove to get a game. 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I honestly don't know why people get so upset at the idea of not playing a full strength team against a League One side. Plenty of players in the squad need game time and this is a perfect opportunity for Claude to give them that. I do expect there to be a better mix than Fleetwood away but players like Simpson & Huth (injury), Silva (Rudkin), Barnes (youth), Slimani (shop window), Iheanacho (confidence) and Diabaté (new) really should feature. 

i agree.. the only ones i want to see on the bench are Mahrez, vardy ndidi, maguire. Bring them on if not winning with 20 to go.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Because, erm...it could backfire and we get knocked out?

Yes Peterborough are a League One side on paper - but football isn't played on paper and it is reasonable to expect that they will up their game for the occasion. 

Granted, they should still be weaker but in cup games the disparity can often be reduced, and we should pick a side accordingly (and often don't).

Silva would benefit from game time but he doesn't need it - he will get plenty of games I'm sure in the second half of the season. 

Equally, Simpson will get game time in the league when he's fit again, as should Huth (and Barnes, and Diabaté) if they can justify it. 

But Slimani and Iheanacho only 'need game time'  because they can't get in the first team, despite their massively inflated transfer fees. 

Poor signings have left us with a bloated squad full of players who need to be unjustifiably rotated in and out to keep them happy - but let's not potentially jeopardise a cup run because of that! 

30 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Yes Peterborough are a League One side on paper - but football isn't played on paper and it is reasonable to expect that they will up their game for the occasion. 

Granted, they should still be weaker but in cup games the disparity can often be reduced, and we should pick a side accordingly (and often don't).

Silva would benefit from game time but he doesn't need it - he will get plenty of games I'm sure in the second half of the season. 

Equally, Simpson will get game time in the league when he's fit again, as should Huth (and Barnes, and Diabaté) if they can justify it. 

But Slimani and Iheanacho only 'need game time'  because they can't get in the first team, despite their massively inflated transfer fees. 

Poor signings have left us with a bloated squad full of players who need to be unjustifiably rotated in and out to keep them happy - but let's not potentially jeopardise a cup run because of that! 

It’d backfire even more if we played a full strength side and still lost. 

• Like 1

1-4.

Can see an improved performance from Fleetwood away.

Iheanacho and Silva should be more confident with recent games under their belts.

Don't want to see Benalouane play, as he's too much of a risk of a defender.

1 hour ago, Duncan_K said:

Schmeichel

Simpson

Dragovic

Huth

Fuchs

Gray

Iborra

Silva

Albrighton

Okazaki

Vardy

Bench:

Hamer

Maguire

Amartey

Ndidi

Thomas

Barnes

Iheanacho

A bit too strong iMO but it's always great to watch us play full strength ?

7 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I so understand the sentiment, but do people not realise that a large part of why it's now working is that our squad/fringe players are now more motivated. Have more game time and are therefore ready to step in.

It is precisely because of this that we have now stumbled upon a back line that has kept 5 clean sheets in a row. When did that last happen.

I personally skim past the team predictions/wants because I actually have faith in the manager to get it right, more than he gets it wrong. Surely moving from  relegation fodder to Europe contenders in the short time hes been here has actually earned him that trust. Even from the non "happy clappers"

And please don't tell me that puel threw away our best chance of silverware since forever in a one off knockout game in a cup that most of the big boys are still in.

Give me the mini league of Europe plus knockouts any day of the week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

I so understand the sentiment, but do people not realise that a large part of why it's now working is that our squad/fringe players are now more motivated. Have more game time and are therefore ready to step in.

It is precisely because of this that we have now stumbled upon a back line that has kept 5 clean sheets in a row. When did that last happen.

I personally skim past the team predictions/wants because I actually have faith in the manager to get it right, more than he gets it wrong. Surely moving from  relegation fodder to Europe contenders in the short time hes been here has actually earned him that trust. Even from the non "happy clappers"

And please don't tell me that puel threw away our best chance of silverware since forever in a one off knockout game in a cup that most of the big boys are still in.

Give me the mini league of Europe plus knockouts any day of the week.

And yet overall manager performance went down by 1.5% ish, based on our win v Warford :( 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

And yet overall manager performance went down by 1.5% ish, based on our win v Warford :( 

That's easily explained.

PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS.

And I genuinely believe we have more than our fair share of mutants. Reading some.od the suite here is bad enough but whenever they pan the crowd or interview people outside the ground...

Edited by gw_leics772
Bumbling block hand in gloves, using a keyboard
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

That's easily explained.

PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS.

And I genuinely believe we have more than our fair share of mutants. Reading some.od the suite here is bad enough but whenever they pan the crowd or interview people outside the ground...

And that effort was after I edited it.

I give up. You're going to have to work that one out for yourself.

It is half past seven on Wednesday morning and, in a sleepy Lincolnshire village, Grant McCann is at the breakfast table, hurrying the kids along. He is all smiles, trying to conceal a distinct morning-after-the-night-before feeling. “I hardly slept a wink,” he says. “I’m the world’s worst loser.”

The Peterborough United manager is talking about his team’s Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final defeat away to Lincoln City the previous night. They led twice and were all set for a penalty shoot-out at 2-2, but two stoppage-time goals wrecked their evening and indeed his night. He does not want to discuss it over breakfast, but his wife Kelly knows when his smiles are forced. “The whole house feels it after a bad result,” she says.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/a-day-in-the-life-of-grant-mccann-the-peterborough-manager-chasing-a-cup-upset-nrhfrfq3v

On 25/01/2018 at 14:13, fuchsntf said:

I remember when....I built my 1st ship from Airfix > Scharnhorst-<   Then my wooden catamaran, and sailde it on

Abbey-park boating lake....Without sinking it...and guess what....????

Afterwards Went to the fking fa-cup 3rd round..!!!  

That was before Clever snot nosed little buggers like you..:P

On 25/01/2018 at 17:29, ARM1968 said:

You are me you pillock - although I think mine was the Tirpitz. 

Oh you crazy young guys

IFC-revenge-of-the-nerds-group-600x400.jpg

9 minutes ago, KingsX said:

It is half past seven on Wednesday morning and, in a sleepy Lincolnshire village, Grant McCann is at the breakfast table, hurrying the kids along. He is all smiles, trying to conceal a distinct morning-after-the-night-before feeling. “I hardly slept a wink,” he says. “I’m the world’s worst loser.”

The Peterborough United manager is talking about his team’s Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final defeat away to Lincoln City the previous night. They led twice and were all set for a penalty shoot-out at 2-2, but two stoppage-time goals wrecked their evening and indeed his night. He does not want to discuss it over breakfast, but his wife Kelly knows when his smiles are forced. “The whole house feels it after a bad result,” she says.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/a-day-in-the-life-of-grant-mccann-the-peterborough-manager-chasing-a-cup-upset-nrhfrfq3v

Football management isn't for him, if that's how he reacts after a loss..

My concern in playing a below-strength side is not the quality of the players per se, but that the chosen eleven consists of an assortment of players who haven't really played together as a team, and a formation that doesn't gel.  When that happens it's more difficult to get the togetherness and commitment that's needed to perform to a high level. I believe that was the root of the problem away at Fleetwood.

Having said that, I believe it is important for our future to develop a method of rotation that works, and it is up to the management to improve the pre-match preparation in order to make that possible.

If you are the owner/ manager and you have trusted people to buy Nacho, Slimani, etc, then you would have every right to believe £20-£30 million players should have enough to beat Peterborough in a one off.

we all know (and understand) football isn’t always like that.....

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think that few people disagree with this in principle . It makes sense . It's just that however talented the individual components are ,when you put out a side that don't play together other than in training they are likely to play poorly against a motivated side who know each other's strengths and a lot of us just want to make progress in this competition 

• Like 1