Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Bt email address

My Mrs has had the internet through bt for years but wants to change her internet provider to virgin. All her email content for everything is through her bt internet address.  She's been told by bt if she moves to virgin her email will be stopped. Obviously this is a massive issue as to change every account she has, whether eBay,Amazon or the insignificant ones will be time consuming and a pain in the arse,  plus there' the liklyhood she will forget some. 

Is it right she will no longer be able to access her emails through bt ? I moved from aol years ago but still have access to my aol account 

What happens to my email address when I cancel my broadband with...

BT

BT offers a service called Premium Mail, which is a separate email service that allows you to access your email mailbox if you have cancelled your BT broadband contract. It costs £1.60 per month (rising to £5.00 on 6 May 2016) and you will need to contact BT on 0808 100 6778 to set it up.

The alternative is to switch to a free web-based email account from a provider like Gmail or Hotmail. It's worth noting that BT will close any email account if it hasn’t been used for 150 days, thereby deleting all your emails and contacts. To avoid this, check your emails regularly.

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/can-i-keep-my-email-address-if-i-change-provider/

• Like 1

She should still be able to log in to things, they will not check if the email address is active, just that it matches her profile on their account. It would only be an issue if she is trying to access an account she has forgotten the password for and they send it to her email to activate.