Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

I’ve lived out of Leicester for about 10 years now but went back for a few beers 🍺 last weekend. 
what’s happened to Braunstongate , I remember it was once kind of a cool area with independent restaurants and bars but it looked extremely sad on Saturday. 
One bar owner said it never recovered since Covid. 
I did however have a couple in the Rock Bar - The Metal Monocle. Great music 🎵 and a good pint 

Edited by grth2004

48 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

I’ve lived out of Leicester for about 10 years now but went back for a few beers 🍺 last weekend. 
what’s happened to Braunstongate , I remember it was once kind of a cool area with independent restaurants and bars but it looked extremely sad on Saturday. 
I did however have a couple in the Rock Bar - The Metal Monocle. Great music 🎵 and a good pint 

Yeah the arse has fallen out of the place. Used to be a hub for a little scene down there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

And im sure for the fact is it is one of the only ‘cool’ places in Leicester. To be an indie and last so long is a hell of an achievement.

Was disappointed it wasn’t featured in the Narborough Road exhibition, that the museum service did.

I think it’s a really smart place, never overstretches itself.

4 hours ago, grth2004 said:

On its arse now. Seems to be police tape there every other weekend too.

• Like 1

Just too many incidents down there and it put folk off I think. Sumo got a rep for letting anyone 12 and over in and Mobius seemed to have people scrapping every week. Shame because at it's peak it seemed to cater for all tastes and kicking off a Friday night with a Loaf + O-Bar double header was top tier (over a decade back now, Christ).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Just too many incidents down there and it put folk off I think. Sumo got a rep for letting anyone 12 and over in and Mobius seemed to have people scrapping every week. Shame because at it's peak it seemed to cater for all tastes and kicking off a Friday night with a Loaf + O-Bar double header was top tier (over a decade back now, Christ).

Loaf was a real go to boozer in my yoof…. That and North’s bar…. Even bit of ‘O’ bar thrown in for good measure (first date with my now wife!)

Mobius did really good food too back in the day…

it’s all gone to sh@t really…. Especially since the real ale bar closed….

I only go back for the occasional little Tokyo…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

When I was at uni Brauny Gate was brilliant. 

It's nothing now 

Yeah I was shocked how bad it was as it used to be bustling with bars and people. 
funny how areas can change so drastically over time. 

Brauny Gate used to be one of go to places for a work night out. Always great but I've realised this was about 20 years ago now. Slightly worried that I've just arranged a night out down there for next month. 

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Brauny Gate used to be one of go to places for a work night out. Always great but I've realised this was about 20 years ago now. Slightly worried that I've just arranged a night out down there for next month. 

It will be ok, there is a taxi stand there to get the fook out of there.

I use to live just near upperton road and brauny gate in its day was amazing.  Just like everything else in leicester, starts off well amd then goes to shit 

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2024 at 19:20, Wolfox said:

I only go back for the occasional little Tokyo…

I know this is a pubs thread but I've always wanted to try out little tokyo but keep forgetting - is it any good.

Back on topic for pubs (and on B Gate) the black horse is always good one for a couple before heading to efes.

14 minutes ago, adam1 said:

I know this is a pubs thread but I've always wanted to try out little tokyo but keep forgetting - is it any good.

Back on topic for pubs (and on B Gate) the black horse is always good one for a couple before heading to efes.

Not been for years after having a shocker of a meal there. 15 years ago it was top notch.

Must still be doing ok to be there after so long.

24 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Is the Hind being done up/taken over?

Sir Charles Napier has been gutted and taken on by a big pubco. Stonegate IIRC

Not sure about the Hind but I hope so. Also overheard in a pub over the weekend that there’s interest in the old Brewdog premises.

Charles Napier is technically my local, maybe a Stonegate job is what is best for it. But I hope they don’t touch the original bar.

Was reminded over the weekend by a mate about the disgrace of a refurbishment at the Salmon. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Little Tokyo has gone downhill. Won’t go in the Black Horse now for reasons that are obvious within this thread.

35 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Not sure about the Hind but I hope so. Also overheard in a pub over the weekend that there’s interest in the old Brewdog premises.

Charles Napier is technically my local, maybe a Stonegate job is what is best for it. But I hope they don’t touch the original bar.

Was reminded over the weekend by a mate about the disgrace of a refurbishment at the Salmon. 

Never managed to go into the CN but the original interior looks nice on photos 

We went to the Woodman's Stroke in Rothley last Friday lunchtime.

Lovely pub, lovely sunny garden and patio. Decent pint.

Let down by a 45 minute wait for 1 sandwich. When it came, it was ordinary brown sliced bread and the beef, although tender, was one wafer thin slice.

Set me back £8.25 for the sandwich alone. I could have bought a whole loaf and a small topside beef joint for that.

:mad:

Whilst Braunie gate is nowhere as good as it used to be there's still some decent boozers.

Black Horse is a marmite pub, me , I've always liked it. The Heavy metal place is decent & gives an alternative rocky vibe.

Dog House across the road, cheap & cheerful, bit tatty but is now more of a locals bar.

Shame about the 'incidents' that's given the gate a bad name but I suppose that's just life today.

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Little Tokyo had a top notch rep a few years back as Leicesters first proper Japanese 

you could get better, but you could certainly get far worse (yo sushi)

i still like it and the sashimi is always good…. The Bento boxes are good value too…

Edited by Wolfox

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

Is the Hind being done up/taken over?

Sir Charles Napier has been gutted and taken on by a big pubco. Stonegate IIRC

Was in the hind the day before Fulham away, bank holiday weekend. No sign of refurb or take over. The current people running it asked us to hand out flyers for upcoming themed nights they had planned in exchange for free pool. So I assume they have long term plans 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Was in the hind the day before Fulham away, bank holiday weekend. No sign of refurb or take over. The current people running it asked us to hand out flyers for upcoming themed nights they had planned in exchange for free pool. So I assume they have long term plans 

just had an exterior fixup i think. it's the same owners as the bricklayers supposedly. where i had a terrible meal recently and got even worse customer service.