Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

On 01/08/2024 at 06:48, grth2004 said:

I’ve lived out of Leicester for about 10 years now but went back for a few beers 🍺 last weekend. 
what’s happened to Braunstongate , I remember it was once kind of a cool area with independent restaurants and bars but it looked extremely sad on Saturday. 
One bar owner said it never recovered since Covid. 
I did however have a couple in the Rock Bar - The Metal Monocle. Great music 🎵 and a good pint 

early 2000's it boomed down there, and all the way down narborough road. shithole these days. never helped the bouncers never let anyone in so wasn't worth going in the end as was a lottery to get in anywhere

• Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 09:52, westernpark said:

I think it would need about 1million minimum to sort it out, even when not changing use. 

my mate used to run it before Stu at the Market Tavern had it and got the refurb done. was a mess then so probably would need more than 1m. in fact i'm pretty sure i've seen photos from urban explorers and the whole place is ****ed

10 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

just had an exterior fixup i think. it's the same owners as the bricklayers supposedly. where i had a terrible meal recently and got even worse customer service. 

not been in the bricklayers since Huddersfield at home on NYD and had a shocking pint of carling, knew they just needed to pull a couple of pints off but the eastern european woman behind the bar went absolutely nuts at us. beer was shit in the hind when i went in before the train for the palermo game as well

Edited by guest123
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Been said loads but the Hind should be a belter, got everything you want in a pub - layout, outside area, big bar, slight old school feel. Shame the beer is kept woefully. 

trouble is you always turn right out of the station, i often forget it's there tbh and no other decent pubs near it really now

29 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Been said loads but the Hind should be a belter, got everything you want in a pub - layout, outside area, big bar, slight old school feel. Shame the beer is kept woefully. 

Is this the place over the road from the train station that does African food?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stadt said:

Is the Hind being done up/taken over?

Sir Charles Napier has been gutted and taken on by a big pubco. Stonegate IIRC

It's been in need of a refurb for a while, but it's a shame it will likely lose its character (particularly in the snug bit)

I'm glad it's remaining a pub at least. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

5 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

The Hind’s exterior is absolutly fine is it not?

Yeah it's just recently had a slight lick of paint mate going over where it was painted / had signage previously, I don't think there are any further plans. Still looks okay imo, they've not just slung some cheapo signage up or owt

5 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

About a year ago, I had some decent enough kept pints(from cask). However, had a half before getting the train recently and it was eggy crap. I want to support the pub and am especially keen to support diverse landlords because this may be a way of maintaining an already struggling pub stock. 

6 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Saw the Bridle Lane Tavern is closing down permanently. Only went in there a couple of times, wasn't the tidiest of places but had a couple of good pints in there. 

Real shame that but absolute no chance in the current economy of it keep going. Went before a Riders game last time. A real pub interior. 

8 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Saw the Bridle Lane Tavern is closing down permanently. Only went in there a couple of times, wasn't the tidiest of places but had a couple of good pints in there. 

It’s a shame but who on earth was the constituency for that? No industry footfall around there and it’s not even residential, too far from the football and the rugby as well.

15 hours ago, Stadt said:

It’s a shame but who on earth was the constituency for that? No industry footfall around there and it’s not even residential, too far from the football and the rugby as well.

Yeah completely agree. The only thing nearby is the Morningside arena (is it still called that?) and I can't imagine many of the people that lived local to it were pub goers either, and if they were, you'd walk that extra distance to be in town where there's far more options. Suppose it was inevitable. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Yeah completely agree. The only thing nearby is the Morningside arena (is it still called that?) and I can't imagine many of the people that lived local to it were pub goers either, and if they were, you'd walk that extra distance to be in town where there's far more options. Suppose it was inevitable. 

I think I went once before going to a rider's game but you have to go further out of town before coming back in. It's shame but it's apparent pubs in Leicester need to dovetail with each other, being out on their own is no good.

I'm always surprised the Royal Oak lasts.

16 hours ago, Stadt said:

Went I went in there were about six trade apprentices drinking in there from the college. 

Durham Ox is one in that area that’s salvaged itself by banging out mixed grills. 

34 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

In there with Coventry and Southampton 

Coventry has an excuse I guess. Southampton is terrible agreed, the centre feel like a zone 5 high street.

Surely we are not as bad as some of these below: Milton Keynes for a start!

England Cities

• Bath
  • Birmingham*
  • Bradford*
  • Brighton & Hove
  • Bristol*
  • Cambridge
  • Canterbury*
  • Carlisle
  • Chelmsford
  • Chester*
  • Chichester