Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

8 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

The Salmon today at about 4 was very busy. Visited The Black Horse, Cherry Tree and The Salmon today. 
Not a single soul in the Barley Mow at 5.

Sad to hear. Spent so many Friday nights in the Tavern - for the pool table - and then the BM -for the chill. Both were always packed.

• 3 weeks later...

Talbot Inn was unexpectedly old school in Belgrave. Incidentally the 100th (recorded) pub or bar I’ve been to within the city limits.

Started at the Broadway, then went to the Tom Hoskins, Talbot, Blue Peter Bar, Woolpack and Durham Ox.

Mostly Indian grill pubs, can’t see The Tom Hoskins lasting much longer near enough everybody in there was well over 50.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Talbot Inn was unexpectedly old school in Belgrave. Incidentally the 100th (recorded) pub or bar I’ve been to within the city limits.

Started at the Broadway, then went to the Tom Hoskins, Talbot, Blue Peter Bar, Woolpack and Durham Ox.

Mostly Indian grill pubs, can’t see The Tom Hoskins lasting much longer near enough everybody in there was well over 50.

Been like that for a while. Dad drinks in there on Sundays. Does well on City Saturdays 

• Like 1

I went the Woolpack in about 2016 (?) for a work do and a load of lads rated it better than Paddy Marten. Clowes Arms is meant to be great n all. Really good to see the places existing (and going well) in one form or another rather than becoming something naff like what happened with the Shakespeare's in town.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2023 at 18:51, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I went the Woolpack in about 2016 (?) for a work do and a load of lads rated it better than Paddy Marten. Clowes Arms is meant to be great n all. Really good to see the places existing (and going well) in one form or another rather than becoming something naff like what happened with the Shakespeare's in town.

Yep, really like those three. Lovely food.

Particularly Paddy's (Marten Inn).

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Paddy Martens Inn has to be the most overrated food gaff in this city. Ate their a few times and wouldn’t even put it top 5 curries in Leicester 

Sounds like it's living off it's old reputation, the place was a top gaff about a 5/7 years ago. The Woolpack used to be decent too but that place has lost it way too.

3 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Sounds like it's living off its old reputation, the place was a top gaff about a 5/7 years ago. The Woolpack used to be decent too but that place has lost it way too.

I’ve tried it in the past and was never impressed. Haven’t had it now for a good year or so. Just really bang average imho 

• 3 weeks later...

The Swann in Mountsorrel might be the best in the county. 

Great selection of cask and keg, including some local breweries. Lovely interior and cracking garden.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

The Hind is such a strange pub really. It has bags of potential with the location, layout and beer garden.

The great thing about the Hind is that in a world of ever changing pubs it hasn't really changed that much in decades. 

Always a stop off when getting back if I go to an away game on the train.

8 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

£6.10 for Everards lager in the Globe is really taking the piss.

The price of keg stuff in Everards pubs is ridiculous. 

I don't know what they charge the pub for it but you would expect it would be cheaper seeing as it's their own stuff. 

• Like 3

On 02/06/2023 at 11:03, David Hankey said:

The ever increasing price of beer is making me to think of going teetotal.

Fair play, but that shouldn't really be the motivational factor for giving up drinking.