Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Craven had this perfect peak where BCA had just taken it on but the landlord was still serving really good beer. Then there was a massive fall out between the couple running and BCA. Apparently BCA felt like their beers were second to the guests. 

Actually think the best of the genre in Birmingham is now the Bull which is a hidden treat along with the Gunmakers Arms. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Craven had this perfect peak where BCA had just taken it on but the landlord was still serving really good beer. Then there was a massive fall out between the couple running and BCA. Apparently BCA felt like their beers were second to the guests. 

Actually think the best of the genre in Birmingham is now the Bull which is a hidden treat along with the Gunmakers Arms. 

The Woodman going is/was shit, don't know if that's been flattened yet. 

Always been better off going to Bathams territory once you get that way.

20 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Is it the bull that’s absolutely laden with Toby jugs? Love that place 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah it's far too much mate. I used to quite like the similarity about 8-6 years back because they at least felt a little unique in some ways. I do think Birmingham city centre has the worst good pub / people ratio in Britain though. Astonishing how crap it is given its size.

Craven Arms used to be legit man, no doubt @CosbehFox went pre BCA. Wellington I've always found the same and don't think it will ever change, just very reliable, doesn't feel like they've altered the formula there. The Jewelers Arms In the JQ used to be like walking into a carbon copy of the Salmon and had a proper Brum landlady who'd ask you "whatchyow doing opp eyurrrrr." Not been in years though, hope it's not fallen victim to the same kaleidoscopic wallpaper and carpet.

Brum city centre is full of “live laugh love” Slugg and Lettuce type gaffs now 

Brum students tend not to venture out of Selly Oak too which has some affect

Edited by MattFox

14 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Speaking purely as a cask man, the Ale Wagon is borderline the only place in Leicester worth bothering with for me. It has everything you'd want for in a pub of that ilk - history entrenched in the city, old boys ****ing moaning about everything but with backchat from those that run it, a genuinely beautiful building and phenomenal quality cask.

Needs preserving at all costs because there is absolutely no boozer like it in town and it's the sort of gaff lauded anywhere else. I think it's bloody brilliant.

I do worry about it lasting.

On 27/05/2024 at 18:27, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Speaking purely as a cask man, the Ale Wagon is borderline the only place in Leicester worth bothering with for me. It has everything you'd want for in a pub of that ilk - history entrenched in the city, old boys ****ing moaning about everything but with backchat from those that run it, a genuinely beautiful building and phenomenal quality cask.

Needs preserving at all costs because there is absolutely no boozer like it in town and it's the sort of gaff lauded anywhere else. I think it's bloody brilliant.

I don't live in the city, but really like The Blue Boar. I know a few that enjoy The Ale Wagon & The Boar in equal measures. 

4 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

I don't live in the city, but really like The Blue Boar. I know a few that enjoy The Ale Wagon & The Boar in equal measures. 

I've never had a bad pint in the Blue Boar and they always have great choice, but I really don't enjoy the whole experience of drinking in there for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to the riverside ffestival both days this weekend over the coincidence of passing through it, on my way to town. Saw they had a burger van version of the metal monocle pub(located on Braunstone Gate), on western boulevard. Presume the workers couldn’t leave the van otherwise they would have combusted in the daylight. Was in Kings Head and had a perfectly well kept pint of Proper Job. Then two at The Real Ale Classroom, the Keg is starting to wear slightly thin on me there and the seating is incredibly uncomfortable. However, it’s a good addition to that part of town.

I've never had a bad pint in the Blue Boar and they always have great choice, but I really don't enjoy the whole experience of drinking in there for some reason.

Bang on. Always awks.

On 27/05/2024 at 20:14, CosbehFox said:

Don't know why BCA don't try and have at least one slightly more adventurous beer in their stable.  Citra Sublime tastes of neither Citra nor Sublimity.  No wonder the guests sell better.  

Went to Thornbridge last week visiting a mate who works on Colmore Row.  Their own cask was excellent I have to say, there was a 3.7ish that was really hoppy but drinkable.  But the feel of the place was horrific, full of suits - within five minutes my mate was networking and I wanted to get out of there.  

Haven't tried the gunmakers or the Bull for years and will do so next time I'm visiting, cheers 🍻 

7 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Don't know why BCA don't try and have at least one slightly more adventurous beer in their stable.  Citra Sublime tastes of neither Citra nor Sublimity.  No wonder the guests sell better.  

Went to Thornbridge last week visiting a mate who works on Colmore Row.  Their own cask was excellent I have to say, there was a 3.7ish that was really hoppy but drinkable.  But the feel of the place was horrific, full of suits - within five minutes my mate was networking and I wanted to get out of there.  

Haven't tried the gunmakers or the Bull for years and will do so next time I'm visiting, cheers 🍻 

Midweek the Colmore is very much that vibe. I actively don’t visit it much because the odds are I’m going to bump into someone from work. Birmingham is very much like that with the corporates - they have the bars and pubs which are in fashion until they fall out of it. Pure Bar was the same, not any more.  

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Midweek the Colmore is very much that vibe. I actively don’t visit it much because the odds are I’m going to bump into someone from work. Birmingham is very much like that with the corporates - they have the bars and pubs which are in fashion until they fall out of it. Pure Bar was the same, not any more.  

Never liked Pure Bar, but I'd had dealings with Purity and always thought they were tossers quite honestly.  

What's going on with their place now then?  

17 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Never liked Pure Bar, but I'd had dealings with Purity and always thought they were tossers quite honestly.  

What's going on with their place now then?  

Similar experience. Once had a chat with one of their high up’s and he was a tanker.

Assume you mean in their buyout? Pure just always feels dead and lacks atmosphere. 

Think they’ve done well to get partnered up with some big Birmingham based stuff and that’s really helped 6.5/10 beer do well. Villa, Moseley Folk, Hockley/Digbeth Dining Club

• Thanks 1

I've only been in the Colmore 4/5 times but always found it mad how just *not* the Bankers Cat it is. Beer is immaculate but the vibe is completely off in there.

I always weirdly liked the set up in Pure but as @CosbehFox has said its passable beer at best. On that note there's a new gaff in Islington / Angel round my favourite bit of the country for a crawl called the Tamil Crown (same lads own a gaff Holloway way called Tamil Prince) and the scran is oudda this weld, keg beers interesting enough but the cask is UBU, as a staunch cask man I go keg baby! But go, it's great.

Came back from Leeds on NationalRail today via Sheff, had four in the Rutland Arms and if it wasn't for an advance single would've sat in there all day. Beautiful gaff I've only ever had a lovely time in.

I've only been in the Colmore 4/5 times but always found it mad how just *not* the Bankers Cat it is. Beer is immaculate but the vibe is completely off in there.

I always weirdly liked the set up in Pure but as @CosbehFox has said its passable beer at best. On that note there's a new gaff in Islington / Angel round my favourite bit of the country for a crawl called the Tamil Crown (same lads own a gaff Holloway way called Tamil Prince) and the scran is oudda this weld, keg beers interesting enough but the cask is UBU, as a staunch cask man I go keg baby! But go, it's great.

Came back from Leeds on NationalRail today via Sheff, had four in the Rutland Arms and if it wasn't for an advance single would've sat in there all day. Beautiful gaff I've only ever had a lovely time in.

I was meant to be going Tamil Crown, Old Fountain, Wenlock Arms, and the Earl of Essex next week, but railworks on the EMR line have put an end to that...

For any Charnwood heads, the Navigation in Barrow has upped it's Cask game with 5 on yesterday and most of them small/local offerings too!

Went to the Yews in Great Glen.

Nice surrounding and interior.

Service abit slow, food decent especially  as you can use tesco clubcard vouchers👍🏾😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I was meant to be going Tamil Crown, Old Fountain, Wenlock Arms, and the Earl of Essex next week, but railworks on the EMR line have put an end to that...

For any Charnwood heads, the Navigation in Barrow has upped it's Cask game with 5 on yesterday and most of them small/local offerings too!

The Wenlock is goated for my money, faultless. Bin the others and sit in there imo!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, westernpark said:

Been to the riverside ffestival both days this weekend over the coincidence of passing through it, on my way to town. Saw they had a burger van version of the metal monocle pub(located on Braunstone Gate), on western boulevard. Presume the workers couldn’t leave the van otherwise they would have combusted in the daylight. Was in Kings Head and had a perfectly well kept pint of Proper Job. Then two at The Real Ale Classroom, the Keg is starting to wear slightly thin on me there and the seating is incredibly uncomfortable. However, it’s a good addition to that part of town.

RAC seating is shit, glad someone else thinks that.

• Like 1

The reports I received is this place is excellent 

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Tamil prince for me is the best new Indian (not Bengali curry house, actual Indian) in London atm. Pleasantly surprised at how good it was given location. Didn’t know Tamil crown existed, googled and it’s got a great location just off coleBrooke row, added to the list, thanks 

On 02/06/2024 at 16:13, westernpark said:

Then two at The Real Ale Classroom, the Keg is starting to wear slightly thin on me there and the seating is incredibly uncomfortable. However, it’s a good addition to that part of town.

On 02/06/2024 at 21:06, SemperEadem said:

RAC seating is shit, glad someone else thinks that.

Glad it's not just me.

Was there the other week, not particularly busy, but the way the seating is set out getting a few chairs together was weirdly tough.