Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Went to the Woodman's Stroke in Rothley on Friday.

I haven't been there for over 30 years. What a lovely place.

Although the ham egg and chips is a little expensive:

image.png.e3a2d31f2df8a1ca9c92b6f599aefce0.png

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Best pubs / crafty places in Liverpool please. Will be a Monday afternoon / evening unfortunately 

Shame about the Monday!

There is a decent cluster of traditional pubs at the bottom of Hardman Street (Georgian Quarter) - Grapes, Fly in the Loaf, and Roscoe Head.

The Bridewell is good closer to the centre of town.

Baltic Quarter is more crafty, but reckon it will be dead there on a Monday (could be wrong).

Ship and Mitre is good the other side of town, but I think you are better off being in the Georgian Quarter.

Edited by Chris_OGrady

4 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Shame about the Monday!

There is a decent cluster of traditional pubs at the bottom of Hardman Street (Georgian Quarter) - Grapes, Fly in the Loaf, and Roscoe Head.

The Bridewell is good closer to the centre of town.

Baltic Quarter is more crafty, but reckon it will be dead there on a Monday (could be wrong).

Ship and Mitre is good the other side of town, but I think you are better off being in the Georgian Quarter.

Cheers

Going to a gig at the union of students which I understand is in the Georgian quarter area or at least close. 

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Best pubs / crafty places in Liverpool please. Will be a Monday afternoon / evening unfortunately 

The Philharmonic is worth a visit. Ever so slightly touristy these days but a great example of how an 'upmarket pub' used to look back in the day.

Edited by boots60
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Cheers

Going to a gig at the union of students which I understand is in the Georgian quarter area or at least close. 

My old student union! Yeh its the best area of town there- great pubs, bars and architecture. 

On 26/06/2024 at 15:21, Lako42 said:

I don't know if it'll be around where you are brother as I'm not too familiar with Liverpool but folk I know who have been to (the) Vines have said she's a stunner. Not sure if the beer line up will be too exotic but could be worth a look for the actual building!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Sommar has closed down. 

Walked past this on Saturday during a lovely few in town and it looked dead quiet. Only went in the once not long after it opened so don't know if it changed over time; but the interior just categorically didn't match the vibe they were chasing? Felt like I was going out for prosecco with my besties 

I don't think that building is a lost cause as a food / drink opportunity given the footfall but it's not had the best few years being a bloody gimmick bar pre-Sommar n all

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I’m proposing a FoxesTalk take over of the Black Boy…. Could and should be the most epic boozer on the planet…. I remember going for a drink there as a whipper snapper…

just imagining a sensitively restored pub with and a fine selection of well kept real ale…

I’ll do the Sunday afternoon shift and maybe a Tuesday evening…

27AsYhQ.jpeg

Sad loss to the City of Leicester. A pub that oozes history, classic example of what happens when the big brewers take control.

https://pubhistoryproject.co.uk/2019/04/30/black-boy-35-albion-street/

• Thanks 1

On 28/06/2024 at 07:30, Wolfox said:

I’m proposing a FoxesTalk take over of the Black Boy…. Could and should be the most epic boozer on the planet…. I remember going for a drink there as a whipper snapper…

just imagining a sensitively restored pub with and a fine selection of well kept real ale…

27AsYhQ.jpeg

You know, setting up a community pub campaign / go fund me type thing would probs work if you really meant it. 

1000 people x 100 quid a pop and there's 100k for refurb straight off

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

You know, setting up a community pub campaign / go fund me type thing would probs work if you really meant it. 

1000 people x 100 quid a pop and there's 100k for refurb straight off

If only we could find someone with great organisational skills and time!

id absolutely back it financially and I have some skills/ contacts that I’d volunteer to get it up and running…. 

i suspect we’re looking at nearly £1/4m to get that up and running…

I’m assuming you’re in too?  Only another 998 people to find!

I wonder if the city would give us a grant?

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

If only we could find someone with great organisational skills and time!

id absolutely back it financially and I have some skills/ contacts that I’d volunteer to get it up and running…. 

i suspect we’re looking at nearly £1/4m to get that up and running…

I’m assuming you’re in too?  Only another 998 people to find!

I wonder if the city would give us a grant?

I’m in for a ton. 997 to go 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2024 at 07:30, Wolfox said:

27AsYhQ.jpeg

https://plunkett.co.uk/how-we-help/

That said as @westernpark says, it rings a bell that it has planning for conversion

Edit; think local property developer owns it - Vijay Patel of Aimrok, who seems quite philanthropic. He might be persuadable 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 2