Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Time added on - it's becoming a joke

2 mins added on v Peterborough first half when there was two fairly serious injuries to Peterborough players requiring significant stoppages, also we scored 3 goals where you'd think that would add a bit just for celebrating and restarts. 

People might question why I'm questionning this as we are winning but there has been times where this has impacted us when chasing a game.

It's just seems so inconsistent when it shouldn't be as all you need is someone with half a brain with a stop watch. 

Rant over ?

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 4

The whole thing is arbitrary. Always longer second half even with the same amount of stoppages. Always 1-3 first half, 3-5 second. As mentioned, rarely is 3 mins of wasted time in added time accounted for. They just play safe to avoid controversy and inconsistency, but it's a real frustration of mine, along with the fact that time wasting seems to now be an accepted part of the game. 

• Like 3

Just now, adam said:

I agree. Bout time the clock was stopped as these refs clearly cant cope with working out how many minutes added time there should be. 

A Futsal game - 20 minutes each way but where the clock stops - lasts around 50 minutes a half. Imagine how long a 90 minute game would take....

52 minutes ago, DB11 said:

Well it is inconsistent. It’s all about applying the context of the game. I’ll admit when I’m refereeing and it’s 5-0 I won’t play much extra time - why? No one wants it

Do you ever consider potential goal difference in the table to be a factor? If a team are still really going for goals, would you take that into account?

Hate it when there's time wasting and ref points at his watch to indicate he's aware of it and will add it on......then doesn't. 

Re less in first half, there are generally more subs in second half so I'd expect there to be more added in a second half but first half goals and injuries should be allowed for in first half added time properley. 

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DB11 said:

A Futsal game - 20 minutes each way but where the clock stops - lasts around 50 minutes a half. Imagine how long a 90 minute game would take....

The clock doesn't need to be stopped every time the ball goes out of play. Just for substitutions and injuries. Fans are getting short changed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

Well it is inconsistent. It’s all about applying the context of the game. I’ll admit when I’m refereeing and it’s 5-0 I won’t play much extra time - why? No one wants it

Why not just apply the rules as they are instead of playing at being the rule-maker. Inconsistency is so frustrating and the fact you’ve seemingly forgotten about how important goal difference can be is troubling.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If we were losing 5-1 would we really want extra time?

Depends on the cirmunstances. Cup final losing 5-1 then no.

First leg in a 2 legged cup competition, yes. You could get a late goal and that could make all the difference.

In the league you could get relegated on goal difference or win the league on goal difference.

24 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Why not just apply the rules as they are instead of playing at being the rule-maker. Inconsistency is so frustrating and the fact you’ve seemingly forgotten about how important goal difference can be is troubling.

I am applying the ‘rules’ as they are - The referee is the sole timekeeper 

• Like 1

I get that if you stopped the clock you'd end up with a daft amount of time having to be played. But just cap it and keep it all proportional. I.e. 20 minutes of stoppages actually means 20% of that (4). All seems way too random at the moment and I don't trust referee discretion.

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

Why? Because that's your job.

Do you understand the point of having rules, and that sport is totally meaningless without them?

52 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If we were losing 5-1 would we really want extra time?

It doesn't matter what each team wants, they need to play by the rules like everyone else.

30 minutes ago, DB11 said:

I am applying the ‘rules’ as they are - The referee is the sole timekeeper 

Then you need to keep time honestly, you can't just decide how much time you want to play and say you're enforcing the rules properly.

Stoppage time exists because it's considered significant. If you don't enforce it properly, you're not doing your job.

Sure someone did the numbers earlier this season - if you stopped the clocks every time the ball went out of play we'd be looking at games lasting 3 or 4 hours. Think Burnley games had about 20 minutes of play each half or something silly like that.