Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Time added on - it's becoming a joke

The ref was indicissive and lost control yesterday.... early time wasting should get yellow cards.  The bmounth no 4 shoukd have seen red fir a second yellow when he fouled as we broke.

I wonder if the var thing has knickedvthe confidence of the refs.... the roachdale game ref in mid week seemed to lose confidence.

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

What chance when a ref does not know where a penalty should be taken from.

The problem with the penalty was they always used to just put a solid white circle but now seem to have change to a ring. Players are now taking advantage of the whole ball over the line view hence only a smidgen of the ball has to overlap the outside of the ring meaning it's a whole ball diameter nearer to the goal.

So many new laws and instructions have made decision making more complex and subjective. It's like they want to create controversy and VAR looks like it will add to it rather than reduce it.

• Like 1

The ref was an absolute shambles yesterday. The one thing he did get right however was dragging the extra time way past the 4 minutes that were displayed. Tbf I saw him talking to complaining City players straight after the extra time board was held up and he seemed to be placating them. I can only assume he didn’t agree with the 4th official and added extra time. Bournemouth became so blatant with their time wasting - with numerous ‘injuries’ and Begovic with his goal kicks and extended holding on to the ball that they surely can’t have any complaints. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

The problem with the penalty was they always used to just put a solid white circle but now seem to have change to a ring. Players are now taking advantage of the whole ball over the line view hence only a smidgen of the ball has to overlap the outside of the ring meaning it's a whole ball diameter nearer to the goal.

So many new laws and instructions have made decision making more complex and subjective. It's like they want to create controversy and VAR looks like it will add to it rather than reduce it.

I know the overhang rule applies to corner quadrants but I’ve never heard of it being applied to penalty spots. In all the time that I’ve watched and played footy, the ball must be placed in the centre of the penalty spot or ring. Judging by Schmeichel and Maguire’s reactions, i’m not sure any other ref than the plonker we had yesterday would’ve allowed that penalty ball placing. 

• Like 1

Guest ttfn
2 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

The ref was an absolute shambles yesterday. The one thing he did get right however was dragging the extra time way past the 4 minutes that were displayed. Tbf I saw him talking to complaining City players straight after the extra time board was held up and he seemed to be placating them. I can only assume he didn’t agree with the 4th official and added extra time. Bournemouth became so blatant with their time wasting - with numerous ‘injuries’ and Begovic with his goal kicks and extended holding on to the ball that they surely can’t have any complaints. 

The referee tells the 4th official how much stoppage time will be played, all the 4th official does is put the sign up.

Also people saying”its Bournemouth’s own fault” are surely the missing the point that timewasting is never adequately punished. We didn’t get “extra” time because of their timewasting, if anything we ended up with less of it. All their timewasting achieved is ensuring that we scored a goal in the 97th minute rather than the 87th minute.

Final point on added time - I can’t believe that in this day and age the referee is still responsible for keeping time. As IFAB and the FA continue to wrestle with the how best to introduce VAR they’re missing an extremely simple and easy fix to something that frustrates a lot of  players and fans by not giving timekeeping responsibility to somebody else or introducing a stop clock and 30 minute halves.

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

The referee tells the 4th official how much stoppage time will be played, all the 4th official does is put the sign up.

Also people saying”its Bournemouth’s own fault” are surely the missing the point that timewasting is never adequately punished. We didn’t get “extra” time because of their timewasting, if anything we ended up with less of it. All their timewasting achieved is ensuring that we scored a goal in the 97th minute rather than the 87th minute.

Final point on added time - I can’t believe that in this day and age the referee is still responsible for keeping time. As IFAB and the FA continue to wrestle with the how best to introduce VAR they’re missing an extremely simple and easy fix to something that frustrates a lot of  players and fans by not giving timekeeping responsibility to somebody else or introducing a stop clock and 30 minute halves.

Well he obviously changed his mind then as he played significantly more than the 4 minutes!

When you are desperately trying to wind the clock by delaying and time wasting, generally disrupting play and not trying to attack and then you let a goal in in the last minute of extra time it’s quite reasonable for people to suggest they brought it on themselves or in my case I just put that they can’t have any complaints which is true. 

Guest ttfn
2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Well he obviously changed his mind then as he played significantly more than the 4 minutes!

When you are desperately trying to wind the clock by delaying and time wasting, generally disrupting play and not trying to attack and then you let a goal in in the last minute of extra time it’s quite reasonable for people to suggest they brought it on themselves or in my case I just put that they can’t have any complaints which is true. 

Second part wasn’t aimed at you, I agree that they can’t have any complaints at all - had the timewasting not happened the Mahrez free kick would have just taken place earlier in the day.

As for the first part I’m not sure he did change his mind, it’s just that there were further delays. A Bournemouth sub happened at 90 mins so that’s another 30 seconds and then there was a 90 second delay for an injury. So 6 sort of became the 4 that was originally put up if that makes sense...

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Second part wasn’t aimed at you, I agree that they can’t have any complaints at all - had the timewasting not happened the Mahrez free kick would have just taken place earlier in the day.

As for the first part I’m not sure he did change his mind, it’s just that there were further delays. A Bournemouth sub happened at 90 mins so that’s another 30 seconds and then there was a 90 second delay for an injury. So 6 sort of became the 4 that was originally put up if that makes sense...

Yeh I see what you’re saying about the 4mins, he did say something to a couple of our players when the board was held up and they complained though. 

I think that Bournemouth got so fixated with parking the bus and running down the clock that they focused on that,rather than their own game. The free kick might not have occurred if they hadn’t had this mentality. 

The second time Begovic wastes time give a final warning, third time booking, then you'll find the ball will be back in play sooner or else show a second yellow. I think he was at Chelsea the same time as Mourinho, no doubt encouraged in these dark arts by him.

Apologies to the lady sat next to me when the goal went in, I did lose it a little -  "**** you Begovic, up yours you cheating *****, serves you ****ing right you *****, bet you want some more time now, tough ****"! 

I can never respect a team who are frightened of the ball being in play and do all they can to avoid it. 

It's not just the goal kicks it's that thing they do when they catch a cross, land on their feet then sink to the ground and lay on the ball. Yes pitches are hard but they're not injured, not knackered, don't need a rest, it's just cheating, it also makes it harder to identify whether a keeper has genuinely taken a knock and needs treatment.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What annoys me is that time doesn’t seem to get added on in the first half. No matter how much is wasted. The officials seem to not care as it’s just the first half. 

But there really should be no difference.  We’ve had games with 4 odd goals and injuries and the standard 2/3 minutes go up. 

Any stats out there showing the average first half stoppages and second? The gap would be huge 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

He didn’t change his mind. He added four minutes. after he had made that call, they made another sub which took too long so he probably added 45 seconds for that.  Then there was the head injury which took about 2 minutes to sort out. We were awarded the free kick around 95  minutes. Sorting the wall out etc took further time up. By the time Riyad hits the free kick we are well into the 96th minute. it all adds up though quite why he felt he needed to play another 25 seconds after the restart surprised me. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He didn’t change his mind. He added four minutes. after he had made that call, they made another sub which took too long so he probably added 45 seconds for that.  Then there was the head injury which took about 2 minutes to sort out. We were awarded the free kick around 95  minutes. Sorting the wall out etc took further time up. By the time Riyad hits the free kick we are well into the 96th minute. it all adds up though quite why he felt he needed to play another 25 seconds after the restart surprised me. 

I think that 25 secs. was to give the  kop a chance to pepper that time wasting b@stard with snow balls.

???

• Haha 1

I heard about Wenger complaining at the amount of extra time given at the cup final, the fourth official apparently asked him why he would want more. They were 3-0 down at this point. This is the whole problem/beauty of refereeing in football. This idea that the ref is there to manage the game and not enforce the rules.

Think back to Mark Clattenburg's comments on the battle of Stamford Bridge, he was managing the game not enforcing the rules and this is why VAR and all of these other 'improvements' never work because the refs see their job as something more than just interpreting the rules. This is one example. The amount of time added on is always an arbitrary amount, we see all kinds of stoppages all game, despite clear rules on added on time for subs, but it never matches up to what the ref gives. We either need to stamp down on this form or refereeing, which will be difficult as it will involve tightening up the rules and could lead to stop start games as every infringement is given, or we embrace the fact that they are human and trying to help the game by letting it flow and using their judgement rather than enforcing strict rules and sometimes make mistakes. This is where VAR could still work with a challenge system, one challenge per game to be used only in cases of clear mistakes, if the players are not 100% sure then how can they expect the ref to be.

Obviously this doesn't help with the time keeping, but there are clear rules on time wasting refs just interpret them as they choose.

Edited by Captain...

Time wasting is like diving now, it's part of the game because there's no severe enough punishment to prevent players from thinking about it.

Begovic could've gone on for another hour and he wouldn't have been booked. Even then, what's a very late booking after an hour of time wasting. He might be unlucky enough to get five and a suspension but equally he knows the referee won't add a proportional amount of time on, and it enhances their chance of getting three points. What would you do?

Until bookings are made early and sternly, or a team is shocked to find 9 minutes of added on time, a simple point to the watch by the referee and booking in the 92nd minute isn't going to stop goalkeepers.

Same goes for the outfield players, and substitutes who that annoying walk-run as they come o

On 3/3/2018 at 17:15, TheUltimateWinner said:

Schmeichel was counting on his fingers the amount of time their keeper held the ball and all the officials didn’t care

The annoying thing is as soon as they’re booked they’d stop. Seems there’s no ref who has the Ball’s to call teams out on it. It isn’t even ballsy to card someone though, it’s unsporting and deserves punishing.

Schmiechel is just as bad when we are in front though. All players do it, including ours, when in a winning position. It's part of the game. I'm not saying it's right, you can't call out certain players and teams when they're all as bad as one another 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Schmiechel is just as bad when we are in front though. All players do it, including ours, when in a winning position. It's part of the game. I'm not saying it's right, you can't call out certain players and teams when they're all as bad as one another 

No I agree, I think it should be punished across the board, it would make the sport much better. If it was consistently punished like it should be, I wouldn't complain if one of our players was carded for it.

It's in the laws of the game for a reason, it just needs actually punishing. Referees shouldn't pick and choose which laws they want to apply and which ones they don't.

DELAYING THE RESTART OF PLAY

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:

appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take

delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted

excessively delaying a restart

kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play

taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it

It's the same when a player is replaced, the player being subbed will most the time walk to the other side of the pitch away from the dugouts, then when he sees his number goes up, slowly walks over to the ref to shake their hand and then slowly walk across the pitch to the dugout.

Subs don't even need to leave the pitch at the halfway line, the ref could tell them to get off the pitch at any part and walk around the perimitter. Obviously I've never ever seen this happen, but the laws seem to indicate it's possible. 

The player being replaced is not obliged to leave at the halfway line and takes no further part in the match, except where return substitutions are permitted

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

• 2 weeks later...