Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

UK places you've never been to

Probably easier to name the places in the country I have been. Love to travel but let's be honest, most English cities are the same. 

You'll always get that guy that's going to convince you you've not lived til you've had a night out in Manchester or Newcastle but I'm not really convinced. I've been to Leeds and it was basically just Leicester but fractionally bigger. 

I've been shit faced in some trendy bars in Oxford, a few proper dives in Sheffield and a City roof top bar in London I really couldn't afford and it was all basically just beer with people I like. 

I'd like to see York, cos I love me a historic city on the continent. But other than that, meh. 

Edit: should caveat that by saying on the more rural side, we've got some stunning countryside in the UK and if you've never been to the Lake District, Snowdonia or the Heelunds, you could do worse than going for a wander.

Edited by Finnegan

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Probably easier to name the places in the country I have been. Love to travel but let's be honest, most English cities are the same. 

You'll always get that guy that's going to convince you you've not lived til you've had a night out in Manchester or Newcastle but I'm not really convinced. I've been to Leeds and it was basically just Leicester but fractionally bigger. 

I've been shit faced in some trendy bars in Oxford, a few proper dives in Sheffield and a City roof top bar in London I really couldn't afford and it was all basically just beer with people I like. 

I'd like to see York, cos I love me a historic city on the continent. But other than that, meh. 

Edit: should caveat that by saying on the more rural side, we've got some stunning countryside in the UK and if you've never been to the Lake District, Snowdonia or the Heelunds, you could do worse than going for a wander.

If London roof terrace bars were pricey, don’t even think about going to York and buying alcohol in the town centre!

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

If London roof terrace bars were pricey, don’t even think about going to York and buying alcohol in the town centre!

:nigel:

Got to love tourist traps. 

I was fortunate with the London gaff, it all went on a mate's corporate credit card. Great stuff. 

I'd have been skint after one beer otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Durnerz said:

Went there with City in Ranieri's last season, I too was expecting it to be a decent city, its an absolute shithole but strangely full of posh people.

Agreed on that - one city I thought would be fairly decent and it was crap. 

Thanks to work, following City, trying to do the 92 and taking the missus away on the occasional weekend, there are very few places I haven't been. 

However, Glasgow, Belfast and the New Forest are on the list. Possibly Canterbury as well. 

York, Oxford, Bath, Cornwall and I've never been to Skegness which is nuts considering I've lived in Leicester all my life. 

Until Newcastle away this season I'd never been further north than Leeds, so still not seen any of Scotland. Never seen Northern Ireland and haven't seen any Wales other than Cardiff.

Edited by RonnieTodger

11 hours ago, Strokes said:

I love Dunbar, Belhaven beach is wicked.

All I remember is it being freezing. Most of my holidays as a kid were at various English seaside resorts so I grew up swimming in fairly cold waters, but up there it was beyond the pale.

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Sorry @Vollblau but when you say you like Northern Irish accents on women, I just think of:

Leader-Of-The-DUP-Arlene-Foster-Addresses-Possibility-Of-Election-Coalition.jpg

lol

I had a fit-ish French teacher at school who was from that neck of the woods, so that's probably what's stuck with me.

18 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I went there for a wedding last year, walked in to a bar ordered two pints of decent lager and let’s just say it was closer to 15 quid than a tenner!

The Forge in Glenfield charges over £5 for a pint of Peroni now. :blink:

I get more annoyed in London at the prices of bottles than pints, sometimes I just want a quick Bud or Corona in a hotel if I'm in a rush and to get asked for £6-7 for it is offensive.

Edited by MattP

11 hours ago, Milo said:

I like the idea of going to the Shetlands/Orkneys...

...but I feel the effort of getting up there would be greater than the enjoyment of actually being there :D

Although might be worth it just for that bonkers accent

Shetland is fantastic, if you're interested in wildlife ,history and brooding emptiness.I'll return one day.

Something of a surprise though was the police with sniffer dogs boarding the ferry at Lerwick apparrently

they have a drug problem in the town ,which is blamed on the oil rig workers.

Orkneys were a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

Went to York with the missus last summer.  I don't remember it being that pricey.  Some great pubs (& a lot of them) within the city walls.  Been on a lot of city breaks within the UK but don't remember getting as lost as we usually were in York, but that probably had more to do with the number of pubs we went in.

Never been to the National Space Centre, despite it being in my home city and being a big fan of space exploration.

It's the kind of thing where if it had been in Nottingham or Derby, or dare I say, Coventry, then I'd have arranged a day out to visit it. lol

Of the major cities in the UK, the only ones I've never been to are Manchester, Liverpool, Swansea and Cardiff. I'm not in a hurry to change this.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

I'd also like to visit, never been, to Scotland, Newcastle, Devon/Cornwall and maybe The Isle Of Wight. Been to Guernsey so Jersey appeals as well.

I went Jersey for work and found the whole experience odd. 

It's a small island that you can drive around in twenty minutes but there's so much money there it's unreal. A local will say 'this is the best place for a drink' and you question 'you what? It looks like well average'. The quality of life is clearly good and I spoke to a chap who'd be working there for eight years, he enjoys it with a flight back home every other weekend. But I couldn't help feeling I'd be bored off my tits living there. Anything public owned by the island is stuck in the 1980s and apparently half of  the island watches the rugby every Saturday there as they are the only professional sports team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

I would love to see the top part of Scotland and the little islands. 

Wick is only a 6 and a half hour drive from my house in Glasgow :P... the scenery at the top of Scotland (Caithness) is stunning.

As for the islands, I've been to Kirkwall (Orkneys), Islay, Lewis, Scalpay , Harris, Mull, Iona, Skye, and Arran .

Skye and Arran are the pick.