Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Bournemouth post match 1-1

One thing I noticed is that Diabate and Iheanacho play really well off each other. Meanwhile all the other players seem to be just hoofing the ball to Vardy.

Iheanacho one key trait is finishing chances, but he can't have chances if Vardy is the only player people try to pass to. 

Really hope Iheanacho finally breaks his scoring duck...

2 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

What striker would be making any difference with the lack of service?  Vardy is the least of the problems. He’s totally isolated. 

That;s why Diabate is also a must. Maybe something like:

------- Ndidi - Iborra----------

-Mahrez---Silva---Diabate-

---------Iheanacho-----------

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Nope. Still 8th. Go figure.

It blows my mind. We could easily have locked up 7th by now. Yeesh, what an awful stretch against inferior sides. I'm definitely starting to understand the Southampton fans. We have a defensive-minded coach in an era where attacking is what wins games. I loved Puel at first, but once he got us up to 7th, he has completely lost his nerve and has begun turtling. 

Though I also understand how frustrating it must be for him watching our lads miss opportunity after opportunity in front of goal. If we had Shinji in the game, he'd be cleaning up a lot of the crap that is being missed when the ball is free in the box. We will be revitalized the moment he is healthy.

Guest Col city fan
7 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Come off it - he's not there to be creative. If we didn't have him on we'd be shipping goals. He's actually quite a good passer and striker but atm he's tied up by being the sole effective attack-breaker.

Isn't the idea that Ndidi is the wrecker who wins the ball and gives it to the playmaker? The problem is that the playmaker, isn't playmaking.

So to speak.

1 hour ago, theadmans said:

We always seem to struggle against Bournemouth.

Thought Silva was poor today - offered very little. Surely he has enough time now to get over his extended holiday.

Albrighton I can have sympathy with for the penalty - he is not a right back. Cannot have any sympathy with Albrighton's succession of useless corners though.

Amartey going off was a disaster (not helped by Claude's curious decision to not even have Simpson on the bench).

.Simpson was noted has still carrying an injury...

12 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Come off it - he's not there to be creative. If we didn't have him on we'd be shipping goals. He's actually quite a good passer and striker but atm he's tied up by being the sole effective attack-breaker.

I know, I was just stating all of the players who are only good because of hard work. You have to admit if N'Didi had the same mentality on work rate as Mahrez he would be awful. But he doesn't so its okay.

When Amartey went the three at the back cost us 30 minutes of running the show.Baffling decision.I wouldn't be surprised if the players didn't have their say at half time  cos we were straight back to a four albeit with Albrighton at RB.

Puel needs to have a word with Kasper his attitude to the ref got him a booking and just winds the officials up Hes been playing long enough to know they don't change decisions

Well that was a cold miserable afternoon only made bearable by a point secured by a player  who will not be around next season.

highlights- the snowball fight in the 2nd half which made everyone chuckle in the east stand.

lowlights - a wittering manager justifying his pathetic tactics on radio Leicester on the way home. Is his points count really only on a par with shakey? As I said a few weeks back - not sure the owners will stick with him for next season at this rate.

4 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

What striker would be making any difference with the lack of service?  Vardy is the least of the problems. He’s totally isolated. 

A Diego Costa type, someone better at hold up play -- Costa is absolutely brilliant at coming short and setting up other players. When we cannot get the ball to Vards, then he is wasted up top for everything other than occupying a CB. Iheanacho is a different sort of striker, he is more involved in play when in the box, in Vardy's position he would come off the last CB and come back to the ball, and then look to put other players in dangerous position with his passing. 

The bottom line is that when we start such a defensive starting 11, we need our forward involved in the attack. He can't just hang out waiting for the right pass, we need him more proactive. But with Shinji back, we likely will see more goals, he understands how to link with Vards as well as how to attack a loose ball in front of goal on a corner. Seems a bit counter-intuitive perhaps, but I think one of our shortest players is critical for improving our corner proficiency. 

• Like 1

Bournemouth always impress me and did again today. If they had a clinical striker (dare I say it, Defoe) they'd have been 3 up at HT.

The change in formation messed us up again but we're just so content with keeping the ball and not doing anything. All James does is go back and sideways. 

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Bournemouth always impress me and did again today. If they had a clinical striker (dare I say it, Defoe) they'd have been 3 up at HT.

The change in formation messed us up again but we're just so content with keeping the ball and not doing anything. All James does is go back and sideways. 

I think their system must suit playing against us. We always seem to struggle.

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Isn't the idea that Ndidi is the wrecker who wins the ball and gives it to the playmaker? The problem is that the playmaker, isn't playmaking.

So to speak.

That has always been my understanding. With his past teams, Puel has always loved a destroyer serving as a screen in front of his backline. Ndidi typically does this, but we saw him getting fwd much more than usual. He was able to recover well after going forward, but he hinders the attack when he participates in the build-up. He needs to lay it off to someone with some ability on the ball, as you suggest.

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

They wanted it more than us.

They were better organised than us.

They played better football than us.

We got what we deserved.

They didn’t want it more than us. Don’t think you can criticise the effort. Bournemouth tried to park the bus and waste time for the entire 2nd half and they got their just desserts. They certainly didn’t want it more than us. 

How uninspiring.

New signings and none making any positive effect either due to not being picked (Ibotta),still ringing match fitness(Silva) or being shite (Inheacho).

Can definitely see why Southampton got rid of Puel.

Honeymoon period now officially over Claude ...    I still think he’s the man for the job but he needs to make some changes for problems that we can all see from the terraces ...    Shinji (although CP says he isn’t) is the nearest we have to a number 10 ...   and we have to have one or Vardy will starve to death ..   (or want to leave) ..   

A fair result in the end, but boy, did we play crap.

It's become a common theme with us under Claude Puel that we just can't get our act together in the first half.

One magic moment at the very end was enough to salvage a point, but on the whole, we simply were not good enough.

We look bereft of creativity and completely toothless up front. This 4-5-1 left Vardy isolated once again. Needed Okazaki or Iheanacho in a CF role badly.

The amount of bad passes was staggering, from everyone involved.

I wouldn't criticize Albrighton that much - after all, it was Puel's choice to play him at RWB again. Would've rather wanted to see Chilwell or Fuchs move to the right instead.

I'm not that bothered, but disappointed. We seem to be set out to somehow play football, but with little to no influence or system.

It's the type of dull football Southampton were infamous for under Puel, and that just can't be the answer!

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Ndidi was doing the job of three midfielders.

You are evading the question,

I have no issue with Ndidi in general, he is absolutely amazing. I do have an issue with sending Ndidi forward and encouraging him to actively participate in the build-up. He handicaps us when he does that. He gets dispossessed far too frequently. Selecting defensive personnel and sending them forward, rather than simply playing your best attacking players, is a poor strategy and the absolute opposite of what Puel should be doing against inferior sides at home. A manager with an attacking mindset would've easily collected 6 points the last two matches, not two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Col city fan

Glass half empty...we take going a goal down to come out and start playing

Glass half full...at least when we go a goal down, we come out and start playing...

42 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Puel. changed did the Team...

I get that but what I meant to say is he' sticking with certain players and not playing the right players. James keeps getting a game over Iborra. Morgan has been put back in over Drago when he was playing well. We just don't look like winning a game at the moment and I think our season is just going to get worse. We are too far ahead to be relegated but without a drastic change in form we'll end up 14th which is pathetic considering we should be nailed on for 7th with the players we have.