Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Goth/alternative bars are so weird. Went into the metal monocle after a pint in WEB (Round Corner’s Frisby lager, lovely). Some screamo band with the most demonic sound check at 150db, just took our pints with us and left.

As if we hadn’t got our fill of freaks we then had a pint in odd bar. Shit pint of Heineken.

TTL and Blue Boar were good though, TTL was better than the last time I went in.

• Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
On 25/03/2022 at 08:47, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Hitting up the Bermuda Triangle of Tapping the Admiral, Pineapple and Southampton Arms later, god bless our nation's glorious capital.

I live in the middle of all three. The gypsy queen has actually become my favourite though as they show live sport.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I live in the middle of all three. The gypsy queen has actually become my favourite though as they show live sport.

Thanks for the tip, just googled, may do the Bermuda Triangle plus gipsy queen this Friday as got some non London friends down. So strange that the best London pub recommendations I’ve received have come from an lcfc forum 

15 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Oh brother, I'd put on a stone a week if I had them on my doorstep. Was dead disappointed in Soton Arms on Friday but might have just been luck of the draw, been before and rated it but the crowd in Tapping the Admiral much more my scene, could park in there all day. Will add Gypsy Queen to The Spreadsheet.

@grobyfox1990 I see the Three Johns has changed hands and not for the better by all accounts...

Managed to tick off Mc & Sons in Southwark on Saturday as well as revisiting the King's Arms and Waterloo Tap before heading down to Southampton early Saturday arvo, always staggered how cheap the Waterloo Tap is, especially for cask.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Oh brother, I'd put on a stone a week if I had them on my doorstep. Was dead disappointed in Soton Arms on Friday but might have just been luck of the draw, been before and rated it but the crowd in Tapping the Admiral much more my scene, could park in there all day. Will add Gypsy Queen to The Spreadsheet.

@grobyfox1990 I see the Three Johns has changed hands and not for the better by all accounts...

Managed to tick off Mc & Sons in Southwark on Saturday as well as revisiting the King's Arms and Waterloo Tap before heading down to Southampton early Saturday arvo, always staggered how cheap the Waterloo Tap is, especially for cask.

Have you tried the camden brewery since they've done it up? It's not quite tapping the admiral but they've done a nice job on it and they do some interesting off menu brews.

Went to a wedding this weekend that was all outdoors and a free bar of 14 different pints all supplied by the guy behind the Blue Boar. 

Needless to say it was absolutely bloody brilliant and I had my fair share of over 1000 pints on offer. 

Bed after 3am on both nights. I'm absolutely shagged 

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

That’s a shame! Exmouth arms nearby is the same group of landlords and hopefully still going strong for quirky beers and good service 

On 26/03/2022 at 17:19, Stadt said:

Goth/alternative bars are so weird. Went into the metal monocle after a pint in WEB (Round Corner’s Frisby lager, lovely). Some screamo band with the most demonic sound check at 150db, just took our pints with us and left.

As if we hadn’t got our fill of freaks we then had a pint in odd bar. Shit pint of Heineken.

TTL and Blue Boar were good though, TTL was better than the last time I went in.

I stumbled in to one once called Hammer & Anvil in Brum, since closed (I assume over lockdown) and became something else. Never been massively into metal but it was actually quite a good laugh, there wasn’t live music which was probably a saving grace but plenty of weirdos, sometimes it’s the characters that make the night I guess lol 

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Haha 1

On 27/03/2022 at 22:03, grobyfox1990 said:

Thanks for the tip, just googled, may do the Bermuda Triangle plus gipsy queen this Friday as got some non London friends down. So strange that the best London pub recommendations I’ve received have come from an lcfc forum 

Full intentions on doing this weekend we have Spurs. Hopefully combine with county playing at Lords 

• Like 3

Finally got my hands on some unfiltered Stella - will be sampling tonight. I’m fully expecting just pure gimmick and it to taste exactly the same as normal Stella but I’m a marketeers wet dream when it comes to stuff like this. 

On 31/03/2022 at 09:07, Cardiff_Fox said:

Full intentions on doing this weekend we have Spurs. Hopefully combine with county playing at Lords 

On 31/03/2022 at 17:22, Stadt said:

Few of us are looking to do the same thing

Yheeeeeeuuuurrrrrrssssssss gewon you pair, and gewon tapping the admiral

------

Got an interview in Hackney arse end of this week and I can't wait to revisit the Cock Tavern down there, a boozer in every sense of the word, just a bloody bit. Will nip in the Pembury Tav, Chesham Arms, and Kenton n all. Likely stroll west a bit and do a few Bethnal Green way I've had my beady eye on, baby! We are top the league say we are top the league x

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
Too cool
  • Like 3

On 31/03/2022 at 17:48, Manini said:

Finally got my hands on some unfiltered Stella - will be sampling tonight. I’m fully expecting just pure gimmick and it to taste exactly the same as normal Stella but I’m a marketeers wet dream when it comes to stuff like this. 

Interested to hear what you thought?

• Like 1

I'm in Birmingham for a works conference over the next fews days. Any recommendations for a decent pub. Somewhere that i can have a quite pint during the day when i have some free time? I havent been for some long and want to go to at least of couple of decent boozers. 

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I'm in Birmingham for a works conference over the next fews days. Any recommendations for a decent pub. Somewhere that i can have a quite pint during the day when i have some free time? I havent been for some long and want to go to at least of couple of decent boozers. 

The Wellington 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Interested to hear what you thought?

It’s alright. Doesn’t taste like old Stella which I was hoping for, but it’s quite nice in its own right, a slightly stronger taste which is nice. It’s literally just a fad beer that I imagine that’ll stop making in a while, but if you see some and fancy trying it, I’d recommend. Wouldn’t go out of your way though. 

I’ll caveat with the above by saying if pubs start doing it on draft, or if you’ve got a PD machine (as it is on PD), that will probably enhance it. 

Edited by Manini

6 hours ago, goose2010 said:

The Colmore is alright (round the corner from the Wellington) but the interior is a bit confused. Beer good, though! Old Contemptibles over the road from Snow Hill is decent but not too exotic in terms of beer choice.

The Woodman is a cracking pub but out of the way and a bit isolated, near the old Curzon St station.

Could do a good run of "proper" pubs Digbeth way - White Swan, Spotted Dog, Lamp, Anchor, Crown.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Colmore is alright (round the corner from the Wellington) but the interior is a bit confused. Beer good, though! Old Contemptibles over the road from Snow Hill is decent but not too exotic in terms of beer choice.

The Woodman is a cracking pub but out of the way and a bit isolated, near the old Curzon St station.

Could do a good run of "proper" pubs Digbeth way - White Swan, Spotted Dog, Lamp, Anchor, Crown.

The bit away from the bar feels like some weird 1970s sex club with all the mirrors. 

7 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Where is the conference at? The city's so bloody pulled all over the place that it can be a factor. Also what you want - sport, beer, any grub? 

Personally my favourite is the Wolf if you are into your IPAs. The Wellington if you are into your cask (lovely little contender reopened in the Prince of Wales for this). 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The bit away from the bar feels like some weird 1970s sex club with all the mirrors. 

It's so weird mate, Thornbridge absolutely nailed the Bankers Cat in Leeds but there's something missing the mark with how the Colmore has been decked out