Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It's so weird mate, Thornbridge absolutely nailed the Bankers Cat in Leeds but there's something missing the mark with how the Colmore has been decked out

I dislike going there at the mo cos it's literally full of people in the same industry. 

Has my man been Glasgow for a drink? The Laurieston is the no 1 pub in the country I want to visit 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The bit away from the bar feels like some weird 1970s sex club with all the mirrors. 

Where is the conference at? The city's so bloody pulled all over the place that it can be a factor. Also what you want - sport, beer, any grub? 

Personally my favourite is the Wolf if you are into your IPAs. The Wellington if you are into your cask (lovely little contender reopened in the Prince of Wales for this). 

Conference is at the crowne plaza, got a meal booked at a Thai place tomorrow night. So just a few decent pints. Crafts, ipas etc.

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Conference is at the crowne plaza, got a meal booked at a Thai place tomorrow night. So just a few decent pints. Crafts, ipas etc.

Ahh so not far off Broad Street/Mailbox - I’d say The Victoria, Craven Arms, Cherry Reds. 

Might Rosa’s you are having Thai or Sabai Sabai if the latter then the Wellington, the Colmore, Pure Bar and Sommar Brewery all visit worthy. Tbf Pure Bar is not far from Rosa’s and opposite Albert Schloss which is a good laugh but very busy. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I dislike going there at the mo cos it's literally full of people in the same industry. 

Has my man been Glasgow for a drink? The Laurieston is the no 1 pub in the country I want to visit 

Never mate, but she's the flat roofer isn't she? 

22 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Miquel, where do you live? You know a lot about pubs in a lot of cities!! 

Aha I wouldn't have much clue about Manchester / Liverpool / Newcastle / Bristol man, just know places I've lived in really!

-------

Currently in the Cock Tavern in Hackney on the Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout, a Susan drink and £4.41 a pint. The London Price™ is a myth perpetuated by people who go Leicester Sq Chiquitos I swear 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Never mate, but she's the flat roofer isn't she? 

Aha I wouldn't have much clue about Manchester / Liverpool / Newcastle / Bristol man, just know places I've lived in really!

-------

Currently in the Cock Tavern in Hackney on the Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout, a Susan drink and £4.41 a pint. The London Price™ is a myth perpetuated by people who go Leicester Sq Chiquitos I swear 

Nice! I lived in Stratford for 7 years so spent a fair bit of time pinting up and down Mare st, in the market and at pembury tavern. Hackney has come on a lot since the Olympics and the hipster money started pouring in 

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Nice! I lived in Stratford for 7 years so spent a fair bit of time pinting up and down Mare st, in the market and at pembury tavern. Hackney has come on a lot since the Olympics and the hipster money started pouring in 

Great area mate, really enjoyed my jaunt around London Fields / Hackney Central earlier - all pubs absolutely heaving around 5 o'clock too. Don't think I've been any further East than Tap East which must do a bloody number on West Ham matchdays.

Had two interviews today, one Farringdon way and one Hackney later on and got offered the bloody Farringdon gig while pinting in the Chesham Arms aha

26 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Great area mate, really enjoyed my jaunt around London Fields / Hackney Central earlier - all pubs absolutely heaving around 5 o'clock too. Don't think I've been any further East than Tap East which must do a bloody number on West Ham matchdays.

Had two interviews today, one Farringdon way and one Hackney later on and got offered the bloody Farringdon gig while pinting in the Chesham Arms aha

I’m in Holborn but Farringdon has definitely got the better pubs. You probably know them but Exmouth Arms, Jerusalem Tavern and The Gunmakers are all worth a visit. The Dovetail isn’t bad and does nothing but Belgian and low country beers.

3 minutes ago, oakman said:

I’m in Holborn but Farringdon has definitely got the better pubs. You probably know them but Exmouth Arms, Jerusalem Tavern and The Gunmakers are all worth a visit. The Dovetail isn’t bad and does nothing but Belgian and low country beers.

Jerusalem no longer exists. Think it's the 'Holy Tavern' now. Not owned by St Peters but still serves it

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Jerusalem no longer exists. Think it's the 'Holy Tavern' now. Not owned by St Peters but still serves it

Been a while since I’ve been, real shame that it’s ‘gone’. I’ll have to wander down for a beer after work and see what the new owners have done with the place.

7 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeh, all places from Bow to Plaistow pretty much rammed on matchdays which was good for the area. Nice one and congrats on the job. I get off at Farringdon and walk to work at Moorgate, looking forward to hearing from you about the hidden gem pubs of the area which have escaped me!

On 06/04/2022 at 17:57, Cardiff_Fox said:

Going there in December for a gig at the Academy and I've eyed it up as it's round the corner.

Been meaning to visit Glasgow for years, can't wait.

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Going there in December for a gig at the Academy and I've eyed it up as it's round the corner.

Been meaning to visit Glasgow for years, can't wait.

I’ve been Glasgow before but kept myself to Finnieston/Kelvingrove (as far removed from the idea of Glasgow as can be) and Merchant City. 

It’s a very underrated city. Got as much to do as any major UK city

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ve been Glasgow before but kept myself to Finnieston/Kelvingrove (as far removed from the idea of Glasgow as can be) and Merchant City. 

It’s a very underrated city. Got as much to do as any major UK city

Imagine it's none too shabby for a bite either given all the different communities who call it home?

Do fancy a walk out to the West brewery as I tried a few of their beers during lockdown, funnily enough because someone on this thread recommended them.

On 08/04/2022 at 08:34, Voll Blau said:

Imagine it's none too shabby for a bite either given all the different communities who call it home?

Do fancy a walk out to the West brewery as I tried a few of their beers during lockdown, funnily enough because someone on this thread recommended them.

I would imagine so. When went with the OH, we kept food quite simple cos she has a dairy intolerance. 

It’s a bit old now but Bourdain’s Glasgow episode on Netflix would be a good starter for ten on it 

• Thanks 1

I’ve said it before in this very thread but why why why is Peroni the go to wedding reception beer? Where does the “premium” aura of it stem from? I don’t actually dislike it as a drink too much (it’s bang average isn’t it?) it’s just whenever you need to wheel something out to look classy its that. Normalise drinking Stella at weddings. 

Edited by Manini

Loads of beer this weekend at various places

Brewhouse In Melbourne 

The Vault in Melbourne

Holly bush Inn Breedon

Brew Ashby

West End Brewery

Hall Croft Tap  in Shepshed 

Loads more at home watching the Golf

Need two days off it before Eindhoven :D

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ve said it before in this very thread but why why why is Peroni the go to wedding reception beer? Where does the “premium” aura of it stem from? I don’t actually dislike it as a drink too much (it’s bang average isn’t it?) it’s just whenever you need to wheel something out to look classy its that. Normalise drinking Stella at weddings. 

Good marketing isn’t it, they were the first with the crazy taps at pubs. But it is a dire beer. Had a few nice ales at the blue boar on Friday early evening 

1 hour ago, Manini said:

I've really gone off the peroni you get in bars and shops, it seems to have changed. Got some red label peronis from Costco a few months ago and they were much nicer. The stronger ones they do in morrisons (and probably other places, I haven't really looked) are quite nice too.

Just now, Kopic said:

I've really gone off the peroni you get in bars and shops, it seems to have changed. Got some red label peronis from Costco a few months ago and they were much nicer. The stronger ones they do in morrisons (and probably other places, I haven't really looked) are quite nice too.

Gran Reserva is a touch I’ll give you that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Very good marketing targeting the part time drinker. Also the more people see it at weddings etc or as the go to premium bottle the more its reputation grows.