Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

On 05/07/2022 at 15:38, Manini said:

Touched down in Greece 5 hours ago and my new favourite beer is Alfa. Why is that not more widely distributed? 

Can anybody explain to me why Amstel is so popular on the continent? I don’t mind an Amstel as it goes but it seems strange that that appears to be the go to lager in Europe in the more tourist bars at the minute. 

I noticed that in Benidorm the other week. Amstel everywhere. Some places I asked for Spanish beer and they literally had nothing. They must just have large contracts with Heineken and are limited therefore.

Again, as most beers on the continent, the Amstel was actually 5% rather than 4.1% here.

21 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I noticed that in Benidorm the other week. Amstel everywhere. Some places I asked for Spanish beer and they literally had nothing. They must just have large contracts with Heineken and are limited therefore.

Again, as most beers on the continent, the Amstel was actually 5% rather than 4.1% here.

It’s all contractural largely. The likes of Heineken and AB InBev have hoovered up the smaller breweries. They spot the predominant beer of a market and buy it. Marketing suggests certain people prefer ‘continental’ so Amstel answers that. 

It’s all an arms race. Tbf Spain is one of the few countries where some breweries remain unique but then they flog the international rights. Largely that’s because how they regionally operate 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Birstall Social Club keeping it real with £3.60 pints.

The sports bar in Braunstone gate next to west end brewery is around £3.30-£3.60 a pint. Not all that sure what they have to offer though as my parents were saying it’s about the cheapest place around here. 

I went into the Quorndon fox the other month and a pint of cider in there was £5.90. Nearly sent it back lol 

Not a lager or ale drinker at all, so my tipple is Cider. Really enjoying inch’s at the minute. Although Magners will always be my #1. 

21 hours ago, Bert said:

The sports bar in Braunstone gate next to west end brewery is around £3.30-£3.60 a pint. Not all that sure what they have to offer though as my parents were saying it’s about the cheapest place around here. 

I went into the Quorndon fox the other month and a pint of cider in there was £5.90. Nearly sent it back lol 

Not a lager or ale drinker at all, so my tipple is Cider. Really enjoying inch’s at the minute. Although Magners will always be my #1. 

Had my first pint of Inch's at the weekend, more of a lager drinker but was really enjoyable 

22 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I’ve never drank Draft in Benidorm. The 1.50 euro bottles of Mahou are the go to there - like you say, I’ve no interest in drinking Carling or Carlsberg. Interesting that Amstel is 5%, never noticed that before. 

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ve never drank Draft in Benidorm. The 1.50 euro bottles of Mahou are the go to there - like you say, I’ve no interest in drinking Carling or Carlsberg. Interesting that Amstel is 5%, never noticed that before. 

Mahou, I was on that most weekend when the places had it. Great beer! Some places didn't even have Spanish beer in bottles.

The first bar we went in on the Friday had Mahou on draft, delightful.

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Mahou, I was on that most weekend when the places had it. Great beer! Some places didn't even have Spanish beer in bottles.

The first bar we went in on the Friday had Mahou on draft, delightful.

Were you round the new bit? Or did you venture in to the old town? There are some gems in Benidorm. It’s hard to disagree that large parts of it are a bit of a shithole, but some gems too. It’s a good place to go for some sun and beers with your mates for a long weekend. 

I know most of you are hipsters in this thread, but if you’re ever looking for cheap pints on match day, breeze bar and Oases on Narborough road are cheap. Breeze £2.70 Oases £3. 

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

Were you round the new bit? Or did you venture in to the old town? There are some gems in Benidorm. It’s hard to disagree that large parts of it are a bit of a shithole, but some gems too. It’s a good place to go for some sun and beers with your mates for a long weekend. 

Friday beachfront, Saturday went round the Strip in the evening, Sunday a few of us ventured into the Old Town which was a nice change.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Friday beachfront, Saturday went round the Strip in the evening, Sunday a few of us ventured into the Old Town which was a nice change.

There’s a few Leicester stickers littered in the bars along the strip courtesy of moi. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2022 at 15:38, Manini said:

Touched down in Greece 5 hours ago and my new favourite beer is Alfa. Why is that not more widely distributed? 

Can anybody explain to me why Amstel is so popular on the continent? I don’t mind an Amstel as it goes but it seems strange that that appears to be the go to lager in Europe in the more tourist bars at the minute. 

Nothing wrong with full fat amstel instead of the watered down version we get. That said. If they don't have mythos on draft or bottles in Greece as a 1st choice they should be closed down lol

1 minute ago, Bayfox said:

Nothing wrong with full fat amstel instead of the watered down version we get. That said. If they don't have mythos on draft or bottles in Greece as a 1st choice they should be closed down lol

Very good point. Do like Mythos but they’ve got some other less known belters too - That Alfa I mentioned is good, Mamos, and one called Nymphi that I liked. All 5% an over you just can’t go wrong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manini said:

Very good point. Do like Mythos but they’ve got some other less known belters too - That Alfa I mentioned is good, Mamos, and one called Nymphi that I liked. All 5% an over you just can’t go wrong. 

Not been Greece for a few years. I'll put them on my to try list :thumbup:

On 19/07/2022 at 16:39, Manini said:

In Rhodes the local beer is called Zythos and it’s corking