Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

18 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I know I rave about it but Harborough Stores is a top tier shop for beer these days. Was chatting to the owner this afternoon and he's always trying to find the rarest stuff he can from Germany, Belgium and elsewhere. Well worth a trip if you're that side of Leicester.

Picked up a few ales from Farndon Fields Farm Shop too, which has a great selection of stuff from Leicestershire breweries. Will report back later.

Last night had...

- Langton North Star. Decent winter bitter, smooth and flavourful.

- Charnwood Fox Tale. Slightly hoppier but equally as nice. Shame you don't see their stuff a bit more widely round the county.

- Greif Bock. Rare one from Germany, Was nice but sat a bit heavy at 6.6%.

• Like 1

Currently in Brownhill & Co in Leeds for a solo pint, one I've been aware of for a while but never nipped in - @CosbehFox I'm sure you've either mentioned this gaff or would be keen on it. Nice balance between pub and bar, £4.50 for a 6% pint from Left Handed Giant so not exorbitant pricing either!

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Currently in Brownhill & Co in Leeds for a solo pint, one I've been aware of for a while but never nipped in - @CosbehFox I'm sure you've either mentioned this gaff or would be keen on it. Nice balance between pub and bar, £4.50 for a 6% pint from Left Handed Giant so not exorbitant pricing either!

Yeah I popped in last year on a Saturday night. Agree with your statement about balance on pub/bar. It’s the right side of bar. Off memory really good lager selection 

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah I popped in last year on a Saturday night. Agree with your statement about balance on pub/bar. It’s the right side of bar. Off memory really good lager selection 

Was impressed man, great staff n all, very relaxed and the selection seemed to cater for everyone. Big fan of them having good cask too. Only place vaguely similar in the centre I guess is the Turks Head which I still find tricky to get fully into as a gaff because it's always so busy (and if I'm there I'll just nip Whitelocks). 

38 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Was impressed man, great staff n all, very relaxed and the selection seemed to cater for everyone. Big fan of them having good cask too. Only place vaguely similar in the centre I guess is the Turks Head which I still find tricky to get fully into as a gaff because it's always so busy (and if I'm there I'll just nip Whitelocks). 

Yeah Turks Head struggles for atmosphere. It’s beautifully decorated but it’s more like cocktails type vibe. The original North for me is in a similar vein as Brownhill

Anyway nothing to report from London this weekend - just a solid 6.5/10 from a pub in Sutton,   Sumtone and something, was in good pub guide but reminded me too much of a lounger. Brixton IPA and a Guinness. 

Had some bloody good grub from Three Uncles tho 

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Yeah Turks Head struggles for atmosphere. It’s beautifully decorated but it’s more like cocktails type vibe. The original North for me is in a similar vein as Brownhill

Anyway nothing to report from London this weekend - just a solid 6.5/10 from a pub in Sutton,   Sumtone and something, was in good pub guide but reminded me too much of a lounger. Brixton IPA and a Guinness. 

Had some bloody good grub from Three Uncles tho 

North completely went over my head but yeah very similar, love the gaff.

Three Uncles is very very very legit, only been their Brixton gaff but good grief

19 hours ago, Milo said:

How were they? 

Isn’t the Trappist one 10%? 😬

All really good, my wife brought half a dozen bottles back from a Belgian work trip so had no idea what I was getting. The Rochefort Triple Extra is just over 8%, it's only been around a couple of years and hasn't got a number attached to it like their 3 other long established beers (Rochefort 10 is over 11%) 

The excellent Xmas beer is called Still Nacht, does a good job of warming you up at 12%. Jambe De Bois was another triple, not quite as good as the other two but still perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bovril said:

Had that Friday night in the Harp Cov Garden. Very nice. Didn't realize til later that they're from Leicestershire 

Yep. The Langtons, near Harborough. Seem to have been on a bit of an expansion drive lately but had no idea it was on that scale!

On 13/12/2022 at 10:42, CosbehFox said:

Melton Mowbray pubs anyone? 

Round corner is great (not a pub obviously).

I like The Boat near the station, old school and it's like the vision I have of a pub from my childhood.

Anne of Cleves is a great building, incredibly historic and owned by Thomas Cromwell at one stage.

Never been to Charlie's bar but that looks up your street with the craft selection.

The Half Moon is next to the pork pie shop and has a nice interior and has an old school feel too.

Never got the impression a Wetherspoons is your bag but I like the Kettleby Cross, it's not architecturally interesting or anything but it's busy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Bowling Green seems to be closed, publican wanted. It’s not stonegate anymore, so it could have potential!

Had no idea this wasnt in Stongate's hands anymore; it was so good for a year or two after it's refurb in 2015 but fell off a cliff when it didn't know what it really wanted to be. Picking the beer out of a catalogue won't make people flock to you, either. Drinking habits of students haven't helped, let alone that the ones that go to either uni in Leicester would rather not leave the house.

If it's left Stongate I'll be amazed if it keeps the handpulls and isn't a sports bar by the middle of next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Had no idea this wasnt in Stongate's hands anymore; it was so good for a year or two after it's refurb in 2015 but fell off a cliff when it didn't know what it really wanted to be. Picking the beer out of a catalogue won't make people flock to you, either. Drinking habits of students haven't helped, let alone that the ones that go to either uni in Leicester would rather not leave the house.

If it's left Stongate I'll be amazed if it keeps the handpulls and isn't a sports bar by the middle of next year.

I am only deducting it’s not stonegate because was told it was being sold in the summer and then it’s now current state. 

Yes, for me between 2015 and 2017, it was first stop before into town. I see the Swan and Rushes everyday into work, and cry. Over the last month they’ve been advertising on the chalkboard quite proudly, no beer! Whilst Bowling Green could never reach those heights of the S and R in its heyday, it’ll be another nail in the coffin, for the not quite sure I want to go into town, beer crowd, if the same happens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

I am only deducting it’s not stonegate because was told it was being sold in the summer and then it’s now current state. 

Yes, for me between 2015 and 2017, it was first stop before into town. I see the Swan and Rushes everyday into work, and cry. Over the last month they’ve been advertising on the chalkboard quite proudly, no beer! Whilst Bowling Green could never reach those heights of the S and R in its heyday, it’ll be another nail in the coffin, for the not quite sure I want to go into town, beer crowd, if the same happens.

Yeah man I distinctly remember it being class in our title winning season and I don't think it was strictly because of nostalgia attached with the time. Went a few times with @Unabomber and we always ended up hammered. They had a Scouse landlord attached to Stonegate who seemed genuinely arsed (think he ended up at the Friary of all gaffs, also Stonegate I think) but when he left it soon became Doombar, Hobgoblin - proper beers you'd get in a "real ale" gift set at Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Manini said:

£5.40 a pint of Guinness in ****ing Bradford. It’s a sign of the times lads, a sorry old sign of the times. 

Guinness is badly overpriced for what it is partly thanks to Diageo, the Brunny in Leeds you can get a pint on cask for £4.20 but Guinness is £5.80? 

11 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Guinness is badly overpriced for what it is partly thanks to Diageo, the Brunny in Leeds you can get a pint on cask for £4.20 but Guinness is £5.80? 

How much are they charging these days in Cardigan out of interest? 

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

How much are they charging these days in Cardigan out of interest? 

Most of their own brand cask is reasonable brother; 4.50 tops for Black Band at 5.5%. Kirkstall Pale still sub £4. The keg you're lucky if it's sub a fiver. Think Veltins is bang on £5 same as Virtuous but away from that I dread to think

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

28 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah man I distinctly remember it being class in our title winning season and I don't think it was strictly because of nostalgia attached with the time. Went a few times with @Unabomber and we always ended up hammered. They had a Scouse landlord attached to Stonegate who seemed genuinely arsed (think he ended up at the Friary of all gaffs, also Stonegate I think) but when he left it soon became Doombar, Hobgoblin - proper beers you'd get in a "real ale" gift set at Christmas.

Think he’s landlord at soar point now, if you can class that as being a landlord.

• Like 1