Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

43 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

The Black Horse - £5.70 for a thoroughly average pint of American Pale and £4.15 for an Old Original (Cask should not be over £4, especially when they brew it themselves) 

The Western - Ever so slightly cheaper for the Keg and more expensive for the Old Original!!

I’m going to defend the Black Horse on those prices. I would never buy from their keg line, anything over 5.50 is standard fare in Leicester for that. 6 pounds at Soar Point for Green Mountain(Thornbridge). As for Everards own cask, believe with Sunchaser you may get 5p change from 4 pounds. Black Country Ales pubs now have most of their beers(BFG,Chain Ale etc)as 4 pounds and over. I would normally agree with you regarding cask, but these prices are due to the rise in costs. This is not the black horse being tight, it’s an industry wide issue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Livid said:

O2 Academy in Birmingham on Sunday a pint of Shipyard and a bottle of 0% San Miguel (I was driving) quite loud so just tapped my card …just checked my bank statement £12.25 WTAF!! 

It's mental 

People really do need to stop buying it when they are being blatantly ripped off  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Disappointingly when we played MK Dons away, the Vale Brewery pub in Fenny Stratford was closed 

Had a few of theirs and always very good.

This one's in the Huntley opposite Euston Square station. Run by UCL Union but open to all. Just over 3 pound a pint for (often badly kept) real ale

Pint of Leodis whilst scrolling the Tete thread. Leeds Brewery one of the more forgettable up here, would love to see them take the bull by the horns a bit like North but in saying that if Leodis or Monsoon are on anywhere, I’ll buy it. 

Had a stout in the Beerhouse in Hereford. A place definitely worth visiting. Went to the Quuens Arms after, had a pint of Butty Bach. Well kept point, for a local favourite. But got interrogated upon entry by locals. Unfortunately they didn’t warm to me and left after one. There’s a new BCA pub in Hereford, which I didn’t visit but hope to soon. Can’t say it’s a great city for beer, nor is it a great city. Nonetheless, the football team in the circumstances is well supported and the cider is good.

On 24/01/2023 at 13:42, Livid said:

O2 Academy in Birmingham on Sunday a pint of Shipyard and a bottle of 0% San Miguel (I was driving) quite loud so just tapped my card …just checked my bank statement £12.25 WTAF!! 

Went there about 6 months ago and paid about £8 for the worst pint I’ve ever had. Being British it took all of my courage to go and ask for another one but turned out everyone in the queue was doing the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

Had a stout in the Beerhouse in Hereford. A place definitely worth visiting. Went to the Quuens Arms after, had a pint of Butty Bach. Well kept point, for a local favourite. But got interrogated upon entry by locals. Unfortunately they didn’t warm to me and left after one. There’s a new BCA pub in Hereford, which I didn’t visit but hope to soon. Can’t say it’s a great city for beer, nor is it a great city. Nonetheless, the football team in the circumstances is well supported and the cider is good.

Queens arms is a known dross hole, I saw more than one fight outside the place when I lived in Hereford, quite often two ladies.  Beer in Hand (as I mentioned in another post) has by far the best selection of cask beers usually and a good keg selection and large can and bottle range. It's also attracts a lot of non-locals and SAS boys so it's usually good craic and friendly and NO WYE VALLEY.  Wye Valley beer is, on the whole and in my opinion, atrocious but the locals seem to enjoy it. 

Beer house is much improved under the new owner Sian and is much more welcoming.  The beer selection has always been decent. The previous owner was obnoxious and on top of that a Manure fan.  It just doesn't feel like a proper boozer to me though.

Herefordshire is a glorious County with much to offer, if you like rural living which I do.  However, Hereford itself is probably the worse thing about the County.  That said, once you've made a mate of a Herefordian you've made a mate for life and they'll do anything for you.  The rest of them just want to chase you down the street with pitchforks.  Funny place.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

Queens arms is a known dross hole, I saw more than one fight outside the place when I lived in Hereford, quite often two ladies.  Beer in Hand (as I mentioned in another post) has by far the best selection of cask beers usually and a good keg selection and large can and bottle range. It's also attracts a lot of non-locals and SAS boys so it's usually good craic and friendly and NO WYE VALLEY.  Wye Valley beer is, on the whole and in my opinion, atrocious but the locals seem to enjoy it. 

Beer house is much improved under the new owner Sian and is much more welcoming.  The beer selection has always been decent. The previous owner was obnoxious and on top of that a Manure fan.  It just doesn't feel like a proper boozer to me though.

Herefordshire is a glorious County with much to offer, if you like rural living which I do.  However, Hereford itself is probably the worse thing about the County.  That said, once you've made a mate of a Herefordian you've made a mate for life and they'll do anything for you.  The rest of them just want to chase you down the street with pitchforks.  Funny place.  

This is spot on. Bar-Beer in Hand which I have not visited yet! Ledbury was far more welcoming, been coming to the county for a good while.  

SAS thing is nonsense. They won’t tell you who is in regiment. If they do, they’re not SAS(not debating your experience just mine). Might be back this weekend. Will be attending the city without my other half.

I will let you know about beer in hand in this weekend. Thanks for your recommendations previously 

Anyone ever done a stint sober? Still unsure if I've seen many positive changes. Certainly feel guilty when my mates have a drink. 

I'm 15 months in at the moment. Only time I've struggled is when wanting the beer when on holiday. 

2 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Anyone ever done a stint sober? Still unsure if I've seen many positive changes. Certainly feel guilty when my mates have a drink. 

I'm 15 months in at the moment. Only time I've struggled is when wanting the beer when on holiday. 

Yes! I did 2 months in the summer (2022), lost a lot of weight. Certainly felt clearer in my decision making. 

5 minutes ago, westernpark said:

This is spot on. Bar-Beer in Hand which I have not visited yet! Ledbury was far more welcoming, been coming to the county for a good while.  

SAS thing is nonsense. They won’t tell you who is in regiment. If they do, they’re not SAS(not debating your experience just mine). Might be back this weekend. Will be attending the city without my other half.

I will let you know about beer in hand in this weekend. Thanks for your recommendations previously 

Good man.  Ledbury is lovely but the beer is, again, nothing special.  

Oh it's not nonsense you know exactly who they are, if you're a regular at the pub.  And they're exactly the ones who don't mention it, unless they've left the reg.  But over time it just sort of becomes obvious.  I lived in the city for a decade and was a regular at the pub and not once did anyone in the regiment announce they were in the regiment, just not done as you say.  I actually went to a leaving do once at the housing in Credenhill (for one of the reg doctors) now that was an experience I can tell you! 

Anyway hope you enjoy it! 

5 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Good man.  Ledbury is lovely but the beer is, again, nothing special.  

Oh it's not nonsense you know exactly who they are, if you're a regular at the pub.  And they're exactly the ones who don't mention it, unless they've left the reg.  But over time it just sort of becomes obvious.  I lived in the city for a decade and was a regular at the pub and not once did anyone in the regiment announce they were in the regiment, just not done as you say.  I actually went to a leaving do once at the housing in Credenhill (for one of the reg doctors) now that was an experience I can tell you! 

Anyway hope you enjoy it! 

2 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Yeh. 3 months. Noticed no difference. Pointless really. Now I reduce my intake, don’t drink during the week (unless abroad) and generally stick to <20 units across fri n sat. Been doing this for about 5 years. Again not sure it’s making any difference but it makes my ego feel better. At first I found it hard as I do a lot of client entertaining midweek but now it’s normal. Just came back from a dinner with 8 people, I was the only one not totally hammered. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

I’m up in sheff tomorrow for a booze up. Not been in quite a few years. Looking for a few good spots to hit during the afternoon? 

In proximity to the station and roughly walking order

Sheffield Tap

Old Queens Head - Oldest public building in Sheffield iirc

Head of Steam - chain but still good)

The Grapes

Bath Hotel 

Red Deer

OR

After the OQH head into Kelham Island

The Shakespeare

The Wellington

Kelham Island Tavern

The Fat Cat

Riverside/Harlequin - latter is blokier

Gardener's Rest

• Like 1

I've just seen Black Sheep are putting their prices up by 19.5% on cask direct to trade.  19.5%.  And I don't doubt that's with them absorbing many of the huge price increases on malt, energy, Co2 etc.

If things carry on as they are the title of this thread might become quite literal.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

I've just seen Black Sheep are putting their prices up by 19.5% on cask direct to trade.  19.5%.  And I don't doubt that's with them absorbing many of the huge price increases on malt, energy, Co2 etc.

If things carry on as they are the title of this thread might become quite literal.  

Doesn't correlate with the actual current cost of energy

But then neither does what we or these businesses are being charged.