Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

42 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Top notch pub that 👍

Absolutely loved it brother, great building, friendly staff and a cracking selection of bevs.

Subsequently nipped in Bar Fringe which felt like a relative of Babelas / Bar Dos, had a lovely pint of London Black but the gaff felt weirdly lacking for some reason. Now in Smithfield Tavern which is okay, I think I expected more from an award winner in this part of the world but it's perfectly serviceable!

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Absolutely loved it brother, great building, friendly staff and a cracking selection of bevs.

Subsequently nipped in Bar Fringe which felt like a relative of Babelas / Bar Dos, had a lovely pint of London Black but the gaff felt weirdly lacking for some reason. Now in Smithfield Tavern which is okay, I think I expected more from an award winner in this part of the world but it's perfectly serviceable!

I've not been to the Smithfield for ages, Blackjack brewery I think own it or did.  They also used to distribute for other breweries as well so usually had a cracking selection.  Always found the place itself a bit ramshackle but I heard they were refurbing...

20 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

I've not been to the Smithfield for ages, Blackjack brewery I think own it or did.  They also used to distribute for other breweries as well so usually had a cracking selection.  Always found the place itself a bit ramshackle but I heard they were refurbing...

Yeah it's Blackjack, they have a great little bar in the Mackie Mayor hall next door. It was nicely done out, absolutely nothing wrong with it and the pint I had was great but I think I expected more aha. Maybe a victim of just how good the other boozers here are though.

Did the Marble Arch again which imo has the same feel as the Southampton Arms to it in terms of layout and customers. Now in The Angel before the rattler back to Leeds (might dive in Sadler's Cat if I've got time but I'm not too arsed!).

----

Back in capital city next week with a few including @Tilley and the Sutton Arms, Old Fountain, Wenlock and Earl of Essex quadrant before a Queen's Head swifty pre train already has me with a roddy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah it's Blackjack, they have a great little bar in the Mackie Mayor hall next door. It was nicely done out, absolutely nothing wrong with it and the pint I had was great but I think I expected more aha. Maybe a victim of just how good the other boozers here are though.

Did the Marble Arch again which imo has the same feel as the Southampton Arms to it in terms of layout and customers. Now in The Angel before the rattler back to Leeds (might dive in Sadler's Cat if I've got time but I'm not too arsed!).

----

Back in capital city next week with a few including @Tilley and the Sutton Arms, Old Fountain, Wenlock and Earl of Essex quadrant before a Queen's Head swifty pre train already has me with a roddy.

Some absolutely cracking boozers in Madchester, not to mention innumerable brewery taps.  Marble Arch always has a decent selection and a beautiful pub as well, grubs not too bad either.  

Haven't been out in Leeds for ages either, think last I was up I can recall the Turks Head and North but there were several others that are lost in the haze.

8 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Some absolutely cracking boozers in Madchester, not to mention innumerable brewery taps.  Marble Arch always has a decent selection and a beautiful pub as well, grubs not too bad either.  

Haven't been out in Leeds for ages either, think last I was up I can recall the Turks Head and North but there were several others that are lost in the haze.

Oh mate I live round the corner from the Kirkstall Bridge Inn which is class but I spend most of my life up here in the Cardigan Arms about ten mins walk away which is my favourite pub in the country, I love it.

31 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Oh mate I live round the corner from the Kirkstall Bridge Inn which is class but I spend most of my life up here in the Cardigan Arms about ten mins walk away which is my favourite pub in the country, I love it.

Then you my friend are truly blessed. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 15:33, Voll Blau said:

The Roebuck, Devonshire Arms and Coopers Tavern are all good gaffs within spitting distance of each other.

We went in the Roebuck and Devonshire Arms which were great shouts and very much us!

The Camra event we went was just up the road at the town hall and not at the actual brewery that I thought it was so it worked out well :thumbup:

Cracking day out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Off to De Hems on Sunday, I've been meaning to go for a long time now.

Very jealous, excellent boozer, check out French House too nearby if you have time. Last time I was in De hems was last May, Spurs were playing, a good scrap broke out between two Spurs fans, glassed each other, pint glass flew inches from my face. Barmen stood until they'd done then cleaned up the broken glass and blood. Biizarre for Soho on a Saturday night.

Shop I go to has been selling cases of 24 peroni gluten free for 12 quid recently so treated myself multiple (for some reason the last 2 I 'bought' were free). I've really gone off peroni (except the special ones morrisons sell) but these taste quite nice so have been sinking many the past week whilst on the sick.

On 18/02/2023 at 15:52, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

On another note this thread is just very good isn't it

I enjoy this thread even though I can't get to any of the boozers or try 90% of the brews!

Makes we want to skip across the pond.

Although in my very limited experience, a first-timer in a pub that isn't "your" local can get the cold shoulder.   Probably some unwritten rules I am breaking.  But no, I never complained about a warm pint!

32 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I enjoy this thread even though I can't get to any of the boozers or try 90% of the brews!

Makes we want to skip across the pond.

Although in my very limited experience, a first-timer in a pub that isn't "your" local can get the cold shoulder.   Probably some unwritten rules I am breaking.  But no, I never complained about a warm pint!

What I do, and I find this makes me instantly popular, is take a temperature probe to the pub. 

Stick it in the pint and if it reads a tick under 10c or above 13c I immediately send it back.  

Try this and make new friends across the pond.  

• Haha 1