Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Can't wait. 

We're in the popular enclosure as well so it's going to be a messy one. 

Hoping for some drama 

Plenty of pubs around Headingley. Headingley Taps has always been our go-to for good atmosphere and a breakfast pint before play starts.

Been to some others around there post-play before but I've also always been on a sesh on the Western Terrace, so can't for the life of me remember their names.

On 02/03/2023 at 13:34, Lako42 said:

@Miquel The Work Geordie I have just secured tickets for day 4 of the Ashes test and so would really appreciate some boozer recommendations as I've never even been to Leeds lol

Not sure what sort of gaff you'd want brother – Headingley itself is just up the road from the stadium and has loads of pubs which are by and large serviceable but a bit identikit. All a bit O'Neills-y apart from Arcadia which has the best selection of bevs in Headingley by a stretch, timing of the Ashes should mean the students will have cleared off so you won't get many Otley runners in the town. Given how close Headingley station is to the stadium and how regular the trains are it might be worth mooching in Leeds centre then getting the train in! There's loads at the bottom end of Leeds in good proximity to the station that'll cater for all tastes.

My favourite pub up here is the Cardigan Arms in Burley which isn't a mad walk to the stadium tbh, about 15 mins or so – but it is a bit on its own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Not sure what sort of gaff you'd want brother – Headingley itself is just up the road from the stadium and has loads of pubs which are by and large serviceable but a bit identikit. All a bit O'Neills-y apart from Arcadia which has the best selection of bevs in Headingley by a stretch, timing of the Ashes should mean the students will have cleared off so you won't get many Otley runners in the town. Given how close Headingley station is to the stadium and how regular the trains are it might be worth mooching in Leeds centre then getting the train in! There's loads at the bottom end of Leeds in good proximity to the station that'll cater for all tastes.

My favourite pub up here is the Cardigan Arms in Burley which isn't a mad walk to the stadium tbh, about 15 mins or so – but it is a bit on its own.

Cheers 

We are into proper stuff. Cask as a preference but decent Keg is not a problem. 

Brewery tap house gaffs, anything. As long as the beer is well kept and not your usual mass produced shite. 

Basically we're both beer hipsters (christ) who drink more than we should. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Cheers 

We are into proper stuff. Cask as a preference but decent Keg is not a problem. 

Brewery tap house gaffs, anything. As long as the beer is well kept and not your usual mass produced shite. 

Basically we're both beer hipsters (christ) who drink more than we should. 

Ooooffft I reckon you'd bloody love the Cardigan man, but as mentioned its a bit on its own down the main road just out of Leeds, not too far from Kirkstall Taproom which is decemt.

In the station's (northern) proximity there's Friends of Ham, Brewery Tap, Bankers Cat, Brew Society which are all tidy to very good. Tapped too, but can be hit and miss (choice usually great, though). South just over the canal there's The Cross Keys, Midnight Bell and The Grove – the latter is a "proper pub". The Hop under the railway arches is okay too if you're that side, Northern Monk Refectory nearby but not one I've ever been in as I'm not overly struck on their beers.

Slightly further up, Whitelocks is iconic but for that reason gets busy quickly. There's a nice yard though so in the summer you could easily perch there with a bev. About five mins stroll East there's Brownhill & Co which is a bit more keggy but there's always two well-kept cask lines, and the Duck and Drake a little further on from this is a no frills, spit and sawdust gaff but will have the best part of a dozen cask on.

Plenty more up the northern end of town but you're venturing away from the station at the stage!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Ooooffft I reckon you'd bloody love the Cardigan man, but as mentioned its a bit on its own down the main road just out of Leeds, not too far from Kirkstall Taproom which is decemt.

In the station's (northern) proximity there's Friends of Ham, Brewery Tap, Bankers Cat, Brew Society which are all tidy to very good. Tapped too, but can be hit and miss (choice usually great, though). South just over the canal there's The Cross Keys, Midnight Bell and The Grove – the latter is a "proper pub". The Hop under the railway arches is okay too if you're that side, Northern Monk Refectory nearby but not one I've ever been in as I'm not overly struck on their beers.

Slightly further up, Whitelocks is iconic but for that reason gets busy quickly. There's a nice yard though so in the summer you could easily perch there with a bev. About five mins stroll East there's Brownhill & Co which is a bit more keggy but there's always two well-kept cask lines, and the Duck and Drake a little further on from this is a no frills, spit and sawdust gaff but will have the best part of a dozen cask on.

Plenty more up the northern end of town but you're venturing away from the station at the stage!

God bless you mate. That's some list for me to get stuck into. 

Atm plan is to stay at Premier Inn near station so plenty to go at. 

Going to be bloodeh loveleh

17 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

God bless you mate. That's some list for me to get stuck into. 

Atm plan is to stay at Premier Inn near station so plenty to go at. 

Going to be bloodeh loveleh

Lovely stuff mate, the prices up here for cask are still by and large fairly reasonable too, £4-4.50 or so. If that Premier Inn is the same one I'm thinking of then you're round the corner from most of those!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Done the soccer Saturday first scorer destination thingy. Anyone been out for a piss up in Bournemouth and know a few good spots? lol Done it for Leicester away a few times tbf 

15 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

@Sol thewall Bambamust be your man for this?

Not that I want to be thinking about boozing this morning but I depends what you're after obviously! Personal favourite is Brewhouse and Kitchen at the top of town, they brew their own stuff which is very good. Other than that it's slim pickings in the town centre unfortunately 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 21:49, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Any London based chaps tried the Three Colts Tavern that opened the other week in Bethnal Green? Could do a nice little session round there.

The only boozers I’ve been to in Bethnal Green are The Salmon & Ball (full of east end characters) & The Dundee Arms (gets lively in the evening). I’ve been to both before and after seeing boxing at York Hall. Love it down there & away from the tourist traps too. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 22:12, CosbehFox said:

Friends of Ham. Whitelocks. Bankers Cat. 

Three kings of Leeds for me 

Adelphi is the hidden/forgotten gem for me that probably deserves its place on that list in its own right, but it’s just in a very annoying location. 

Bankers is my go to at the minute though it’s a cracking pub. I’ve got the work lot on to it as well now and even my mrs likes it so I’m just waiting for them to post my cheque/free keg/black card out. Any of the above will do. 

8 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Off next month for a day out in Nottingham. The good ones with old man vibes are - Keans Head, The Newshouse, Angel and Canal House right?

Thing the Angel is a bit trendier than old manny brother, bit like the Canal house in that respect, both great though! Newshouse is great, feels like someone's front room. Get the King Billy and the Vat and Fiddle on your list if you're looking for that vibe mate!

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2023 at 09:31, SemperEadem said:

Off next month for a day out in Nottingham. The good ones with old man vibes are - Keans Head, The Newshouse, Angel and Canal House right?

I like The Cross Keys opposite the Lace Market tram stop as well.   It is nothing outstanding but a good stopping station if you are transitioning from one part of the town to another.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Blur said:

I like The Cross Keys opposite the Lace Market tram stop as well.   It is nothing outstanding but a good stopping station if you are transitioning from one part of the town to 

Anytime I'm in Notts via the train I'll go for a pint there, and for some reason always the Hoegaarden 🤷‍♂️

It gets a bit lively Saturday tea time as the football fans go home and the lads out for the night arrive in town for their last / first pints. 

• Thanks 1