Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

13 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

TTL was rammed yesterday cos of the Cloudwater takeover. 

On the whole, yesterday was pretty crap for a day in Leicester. 

Tried Brewdog - **** me it’s terrible now. Two staff for the entire day - one who was supposed to be on ‘kitchen’ duty with the pizzas but kept having to help out. Left because I hadn’t been served for 15 minutes. No guest beer either now 

Thought the Cloudwater’s in TTL tasted a bit off - at least two of the Keg taps were too warm. 

Sommar - yep great, got Mill Hill on, very decent but it’s a very strange vibe in there. Very strange. 

Other half had her 30th at the Globe - every pint in there is now touching £6. 

Agree with that, one just opened on the high street in my part of Birmingham. The beer is really nice but it's such a weird place and interior. Slightly annoying because they bought out a very good craft beer place to be there. 

13 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Sommar - yep great, got Mill Hill on, very decent but it’s a very strange vibe in there. Very strange. 

Personally the beer, well certainly from their own brewery all tastes like knock off Brewdog. Separately, Mill Hill is class- the Booshie beer? Is outrageous for such a low ABV. I think it's worrying how quickly Sommar have expanded, hopefully it doesn't end badly.

12 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Whats Tiger at now?

Had Everards at the Globe the last two home games and was impressed by how nicely it was kept. Think it was about 4.20 which seemed expensive for Leicester (about 4.80-5.50 for an ale in an average London pub) but I'd always rather pay a little bit more for something that's good. I don't go to pubs as much as I used to and frankly I'd pay 10-15 pounds more to go to a good quality restaurant so paying a few quid more for good beer seems a small price to pay. 

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Biased because I like trad bitters but I always think it's nice. Seem to be mixed feelings towards Everards on here

Beer wise they've pushed the boat a little bit since the brewery move. With the pub decor, it's perennially 2018 and gin palace chic is all the rage

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Personally the beer, well certainly from their own brewery all tastes like knock off Brewdog. Separately, Mill Hill is class- the Booshie beer? Is outrageous for such a low ABV. I think it's worrying how quickly Sommar have expanded, hopefully it doesn't end badly.

Agreed on this. I went their first attempt at bar in centre of Brum. Located next to Legoland Adventure Centre. lolBut the beer was kept well. They also likely to give local breweries a chance. 

The interior is aimed at cocktails and attracting women clearly but they have something like 20 taps. They had Rugby on and its possibly worst location for a bar of that variety to open. 

1 hour ago, Nobbyburton said:

Agree with that, one just opened on the high street in my part of Birmingham. The beer is really nice but it's such a weird place and interior. Slightly annoying because they bought out a very good craft beer place to be there. 

Harborne? Paper Duck?

Really shame seeing TPD go. Their back garden was one of my favourite spots in Brum. 

Edited by CosbehFox

17 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Harborne? Paper Duck?

Really shame seeing TPD go. Their back garden was one of my favourite spots in Brum. 

Exactly yeah - The Paper Duck was a brilliant beer garden in the summer.  

Happy to go to Sommar, but like you've said above, they seem to be designed for a completely different audience. Especially weird when it is opposite Slug & Lettuce, which is an almost identical interior. 

Edited by Nobbyburton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

Any Dublin recommendations? Going this Saturday so aware everywhere is going to be rammed, but would like to attempt to get the best Guinness I can out there.

Go up Thomas Street near the Guinness Storehouse. Good pubs and cheaper than Temple Bar.

Round Temple Bar itself, I found Hard Rock Cafe did the cheapest pint! Talking a few years ago now though.

On 09/03/2023 at 17:48, SemperEadem said:

3 pints of Guinness in The Grapes Sheffield.

Is that the same one the Arctic Monkeys were first spotted in? Always mean to go over because our office is just the other side of west street, but not had chance yet.

6 hours ago, Manini said:

Is that the same one the Arctic Monkeys were first spotted in? Always mean to go over because our office is just the other side of west street, but not had chance yet.

Certainly is, first gig was in a room upstairs. 
I work on West Street, drop me a line when you are next up. Its a fantastic pub.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Little Eaton?

Blimey- good guess that given the size of Derbyshire unless if Everards only own one pub in Derbyshire 🤣

I went to Queen's Head as I was experimenting with a halfway pub for my friend who lives in Belper and for me in Findern.   We both thought it was more of a restaurant in pub facade so will be trialling other pubs in Little Eaton.   The Bell and Harp looks like it is worth a go.

Do you know the area well?

43 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Blimey- good guess that given the size of Derbyshire unless if Everards only own one pub in Derbyshire 🤣

I went to Queen's Head as I was experimenting with a halfway pub for my friend who lives in Belper and for me in Findern.   We both thought it was more of a restaurant in pub facade so will be trialling other pubs in Little Eaton.   The Bell and Harp looks like it is worth a go.

Do you know the area well?

Yes mate, was in there on Monday. Had the same combo of drinks as you (though the Tiger was a shandy). The food is good in there but it's a healthy mix of eaters and drinkers in there usually.

Only ever been round there for food but will have to give the Bell and Harp a go too. Keep also meaning to do the Shiny taproom.

The Windmill at Breadsall Hilltop might make a decent halfway house for you and your mate. It's the closest pub to where I live and the beer in there is usually pretty good.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes mate, was in there on Monday. Had the same combo of drinks as you (though the Tiger was a shandy). The food is good in there but it's a healthy mix of eaters and drinkers in there usually.

Only ever been round there for food but will have to give the Bell and Harp a go too. Keep also meaning to do the Shiny taproom.

The Windmill at Breadsall Hilltop might make a decent halfway house for you and your mate. It's the closest pub to where I live and the beer in there is usually pretty good.

Fair enough.  I would say it was 80:20 ratio to eaters when I went but that could have been an anomaly.    I just felt the design of tables and layout was geared to people who eat but can appreciate the pub was trying to cover both bases with their clientele.

Thanks for the heads up about The Windmill.  I have drove by before.  Shiny is also on my shortlist too!  

Looking into Birmingham pubs, are all jewellery quarter pubs/bars the exact same - former industrial space, exposed brick, craft beer?

Black Eagle looks great, trying to plan route back into Brum after it

41 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Looking into Birmingham pubs, are all jewellery quarter pubs/bars the exact same - former industrial space, exposed brick, craft beer?

Black Eagle looks great, trying to plan route back into Brum after it

Post Office Vaults is great