Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

On 11/04/2023 at 21:12, goody2028 said:

Best pubs to hit in Manchester on Saturday? Reckon we are aiming to park fairly near ground but getting there early so plenty of time to roam 

You’ll likely have a few mapped out now mate but in town there are so many. Northern Quarter (and just around it / Victoria) there’s Crown and Kettle, Smithfield Tavern, Jack in the Box in Mackie Mayor, Port St Beerhouse, Marble Arch. Further down Deansgate there’s Cask, Britons Protection, Peveril of the Peak, City Arms, Society

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 13:00, Bordersfox said:

Not thick, well maybe she is, but she's certainly fond of a dog whistle which is what this is all about from her point of view.  

I have the chilling thought that she knows exactly what she is doing, dog whistling to stoke up race hate. She isn't thick, but she is oblivious about the consequences of what she says, and sooner or later she will say something which will make it impossible for Sunak to keep her in the Tory Cabinet. She might encourage some knuckle-draggers to vote Tory instead of BNP, but she will also scare off the middle-of-the-road floating voter who is not particularly bothered about the skin colour of their neighbour. And these people are thankfully much more numerous.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The one in Nottingham was worse than ours and ours felt like a bit of a missed opportunity 

Yeah I never went in that. Ours had some nice beers on most of the time but was always dead when I went in.

Enjoyed Sheffield though, if we do go down hopefully Wednesday go up so we get a good day out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah I never went in that. Ours had some nice beers on most of the time but was always dead when I went in.

Enjoyed Sheffield though, if we do go down hopefully Wednesday go up so we get a good day out.

Yeah the Sheff one is a lovely building, theres two here in Leeds and they're both okay.

On another Sheff note I see Vocation have taken on the Old House, be a very good gaff that

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah the Sheff one is a lovely building, theres two here in Leeds and they're both okay.

On another Sheff note I see Vocation have taken on the Old House, be a very good gaff that

24 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Keeping my eye on that.

That’s interesting. I used to love the old house when I was in Sheffield at uni. 

Isn't Head of Steam Sheffield one of the originals? Alongside Newcastle and Leeds? Not a massive fan of one in Birmingham, more really for the crowd it brings in. 

Edinburgh Highlights

New Town

Kay's Bar - a small pub hidden within the Georgian terraces - be lucky if they are 20 seats but bloody superb. 

(Cocktail Bar) Tonic - nice place this for a cocktail or two - notably went quiet at 12am when everyone went to rush off home via bus/train/tram 

Leith 

Malt & Hops -  proper traditional boozer 

Tetucher's Landing - bit of a rugby pub but superb selection, food looked great too 

Old Town

Salt Horse - far more crafty than your normal pub but does it at the right level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Leeds heads, could you point me in the way of boozer for next Tuesday. City centre ideally that has an old man vibe with a decent selection of lagers for a group of Germans to enjoy please.

Briggate is probably your best bet. Whitelocks obviously but you’ve also got The Ship and Pack Horse down there as well but I think the pack horse has had a face lift and it’s not as old school as it was. The Ship is but wouldn’t say the lager selection will blow away. Angel Is a Sam Smiths gaff next to The Ship. 

Adelphi could also be an option but a bit out the way. Duck and Drake the same. If you end up by the market Lamb and Flag could be an option, that’s one of Leeds Brewery’s. 

Leeds centre has been gentrified IMO to the point that your o’neils (maybe not totally gentrified!) type gaffs are the most common now along with Salt bar’s (which I like but the fit out is annoying), sports bars and gastro pubs pushing cocktails. 

Edited by Manini
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Leeds heads, could you point me in the way of boozer for next Tuesday. City centre ideally that has an old man vibe with a decent selection of lagers for a group of Germans to enjoy please.

Definitely get them to Whitelock's mate.

• Like 1