Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

36 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

A red ale in the Princess Louise on High Holborn. Great pint and an even better, fabulous old pub. Amazing design that’s been well preserved. 

Beautiful old pub. Used to drink there a lot when I worked in Holborn. Haven't been for ages, will have to pop in these days 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2024 at 13:53, Bordersfox said:

Obscenely good pint in Cask and Tap Blackpool, Cactus Cat by Tartarus brewery. Also a Vibrant Forest porter.  Great little venue as well with superb selection of cask and keg.   Compress_20240708_135213_3071.thumb.jpg.7cc9fd42ff141b86d0e014ace36381f8.jpg  

That the micropub on Topping Street? Brew Room nearby is decent too. Made it the base for my Stag a couple of years ago.

Edited by Voll Blau

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

That the micropub on Topping Street? Brew Room nearby is decent too. Made it the base for my Stag a couple of years ago.

Yes mate that's the one.  In classic blackpool style it's opposite an incredibly ropey sports bar, saw some great characters rolling out of there.  

Did the brew room also, very nice pub.  Was the Indoor Market thing open back then?  Was amazed to find Japanese street food etc. in Blackpool, not bad at all!

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

Yes mate that's the one.  In classic blackpool style it's opposite an incredibly ropey sports bar, saw some great characters rolling out of there.  

Did the brew room also, very nice pub.  Was the Indoor Market thing open back then?  Was amazed to find Japanese street food etc. in Blackpool, not bad at all!

Abingdon Street? Place has changed since I lived there 10 years ago - used to have to head out to The Thatched House in Poulton for a really good ale.

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Abingdon Street? Place has changed since I lived there 10 years ago - used to have to head out to The Thatched House in Poulton for a really good ale.

Yeah, that's the one.  There's a little indie coffee shop and bakery opposite and on the same road Common which is doing good tacos.

We also headed out to a micropub around Central Pier, forget the name though.  Only had two ales on and the area was dodgy as fvck but both were well kept.  

I wanted to get out to the cricket club which apparently has a few beers on but never made it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Yeah, that's the one.  There's a little indie coffee shop and bakery opposite and on the same road Common which is doing good tacos.

We also headed out to a micropub around Central Pier, forget the name though.  Only had two ales on and the area was dodgy as fvck but both were well kept.  

I wanted to get out to the cricket club which apparently has a few beers on but never made it.  

Cricket club has constantly won CAMRA awards, great place for a pint in the sun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Cricket club has constantly won CAMRA awards, great place for a pint in the sun.

That was the plan.  The wife wanted to visit the model village, why who knows?  I realised it was close to the cricket club and was suddenly bang up for seeing a miniscule church.  

Sadly it shat it down all day so we ended up doing other things.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Numerous Morreti and Neck oil at a memorial service at the The Bedford pub, Balham. 

Shame I had to come back North, loads of pubs round there. 

Brings back some memories that. My mate used to live in Balham, coincided with us getting promoted and subsequently winning the league. Some big piss ups over those two years. Once kept the Bedford open on a Tuesday night. Hagen and Hyde. Firefly. The Regent. 

Something always nice to look at 👀 in that parish too. 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2024 at 13:59, Unabomber said:

Pre match weihenstephaner, not had one in ages. Class wheat beer.

IMG_9542.jpeg

I was in a BBQ joint in Chicago with a few dozen taps (my kind of establishment) and got into beer-geek talk with one of the bartenders.  He insisted on pouring me a taster of this. 

I went right back for a pint.  Really good, underrated beer.

• Like 1

Each July we drive to Pennsylvania for an excellent beer festival at the Voodoo Brewery production compound.  You can choose between hundreds of top notch, mostly hard to find beers at a Friday night bottle share and a Saturday walkaround.

Except this year nobody went.  Attendance about 20% of capacity after 50% last year.  The folks there were all in their 30s through 60s.

vibes.jpg.1d62248958f48468d804e6ac2743b75a.jpg

I talked to a couple of brewers who said Gen Z are choosing weed and edibles.  Bang for their buck I suppose.  Demand is dropping for both craft beer and fine wine. 

The young’uns in this country are congratulating themselves for swerving unhealthy beverage alcohol, while they go through life with pink eyeballs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Having a few in Bethnal Green today — started with the Kings Arms and now in the Bethnal Green Tavern, both Earl of Essex sister pubs and both Susan Perb, would recommend to patrons of the thread 

After these pair did Florist Arms which was great, proper old corner job with cask better kept than the previous pair and with friendlier staff too. Then went to the Camel virtually next door which I had high hopes for, beautiful tiled pub in the Good Beer Guide on the strength of its cask — returned a 5 Points Best and then got through a Sambrooks Wandle out of politeness. I'd give it another bash but the beer had that horrible clagginess.

Did the Dundee Arms on Cambridge Heath Road that felt like a Scream bar and did a job for Guinness in the heat, a pure 5/10, now in the Approach Tavern and this is the one. Harvey's Best in perfect nick, an old pub brought back to life (by a great group that have a few) in a sympathetic way, everything is the colour I look for in a pub, not a grey or slate in sight.

• Like 3

Asked the wife to get me a case of beer.  She brought home Michelob Ultra Light for me.  I'm considering a divorce. 

Description:  Michelob ULTRA is a Superior Light Beer brewed for those who understand that it's only worth it if you enjoy it. Containing only 95 calories and 2.6 carbs, Michelob ULTRA is a light lager brewed with the perfect balance of hops and wholesome grains, producing a light citrus aroma and a crisp, refreshing finish.

• Haha 1

The Hare near Cambridge Heath — independent gaff and what a gem. Beautiful pub on the corner of a main road, signed photo of Rivaldo behind the bar, three national but beautifully kept cask alongside no nonsense fizzy offerings so you don't get Horatio from Dulwich trying a sour (not that I even dislike that vibe). Load of old boys that are clearly regulars but aren't intimidating, any spare space occupied by a fruit machine, so good.