Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Drinking in Southwold this week. Lord Nelson is the most pleasant pub but I don’t think any cask pint I’ve had, has been in perfect condition. Taking away nostalgia that Southwold is for me, maybe Adnams is very average.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2024 at 21:13, westernpark said:

Drinking in Southwold this week. Lord Nelson is the most pleasant pub but I don’t think any cask pint I’ve had, has been in perfect condition. Taking away nostalgia that Southwold is for me, maybe Adnams is very average.

I think I prefer Adnams' keg beer to their cask beer. They used to do one called Spindrift that I really liked but I don't think they do it anymore. If you're still there today head to the Randloph just down the road in Reydon- great beer garden!

Edited by Chris_OGrady
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, westernpark said:

I think bottled ale has improved massively over the last couple of decades so that it's often better than cask that's not in top condition. I've often found that with Adnams in particular. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I think I prefer Adnams' keg beer to their cask beer. The used to do one called Spindrift that I really liked but I don't think they do it anymore. If you're still there today head to the Randloph just down the road in Reydon- great beer garden!

Yes, certainly better in my experience. They always have a few temporary beers on keg, that are not bad considering they’ll only be on for a few months.

I ran past it this morning, I have been before for a meal but unfortunately too late. Noticeably not Adnams, if I’m correct.

26 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think bottled ale has improved massively over the last couple of decades so that it's often better than cask that's not in top condition. I've often found that with Adnams in particular. 

Yes and considering most of my interaction with Adnams will be with their bottled beer in the supermarkets, it’s no surprise I’m slightly disappointed.

9 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Yes, certainly better in my experience. They always have a few temporary beers on keg, that are not bad considering they’ll only be on for a few months.

I ran past it this morning, I have been before for a meal but unfortunately too late. Noticeably not Adnams, if I’m correct.

It's one of their "Partner Pubs". Red Lion is the same. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Drive up fifteen minutes to the Norfolk side of the Waveney. Very pretty around there and superior beer!

9 hours ago, bovril said:

Drive up fifteen minutes to the Norfolk side of the Waveney. Very pretty around there and superior beer!

Back in Leicester now but head to East Anglia 2/3 times a year. Where you recommending north of the Waveney?

It's finally happened and I am a happy man. Asda and morrisons now stocking Sharpes Offshore Pilsner. If you like a Pilsner, this is the one that beats all. Just sniffing it takes me back to Cornwall. Dangerous though, it slips down so well in this heat. Happy, happy days.

• Like 1

A Clod Hopper pale ale at The Boot in Repton. Really well poured, presumably their home brew.

Now on a Loch Ness Saazi Ness lager with Leicestershire on one screen and the Test highlights on another. Perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

A Clod Hopper pale ale at The Boot in Repton. Really well poured, presumably their home brew.

Now on a Loch Ness Saazi Ness lager with Leicestershire on one screen and the Test highlights on another. Perfect.

The boot. 👍

Blast from the past,  I had some ex inlaws living locally and loved the place. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

The boot. 👍

Blast from the past,  I had some ex inlaws living locally and loved the place. 

All very "village coffee shop and overpriced lunch menu" vibes (which you'd expect with the school over the road, I guess), but the beer was excellent considering.

I can take or leave bitter generally but I think Tiger is one of the very best. The photo won’t attach but you’ll have to take my word for it - it’s a well kept one

in The Stamford, Groby.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I can take or leave bitter generally but I think Tiger is one of the very best. The photo won’t attach but you’ll have to take my word for it - it’s a well kept one

in The Stamford, Groby.

Always start with a tiger at the stammo. Their rotating taps are also decent.

• Like 1

A load of Abbeydale Deception in the Navigation Barrow Friday night. Down in London on Saturday. Went to The Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington which was pleasant enough, but one of these hype Guinness places that you have queue up for 15 mins to get a beer. Went to Pinsent in Mountsorrel for the first time today which was also decent but deffo prefer the Swan!

Edited by Chris_OGrady
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 21:38, Chris_OGrady said:

Went to Pinsent in Mountsorrel for the first time today which was also decent but deffo prefer the Swan!

I walk past that shop every Sunday and never knew it had a bar inside? 

Any atmosphere? 

I thought it was a speciality beer and wine shop. 

59 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I walk past that shop every Sunday and never knew it had a bar inside? 

Any atmosphere? 

I thought it was a speciality beer and wine shop. 

It's definitely worth trying it out if you haven't been. There's a small bar and seating area inside and little beer garden out the back. 

Nice atmosphere and good draft beer selection- It was pretty full when I went. It does feel a bit intimate and cliquey inside with the clientele, but everyone seemed friendly enough. 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 18:59, Stadt said:

in The Stamford, Groby.

I really like it. There's some discussion a few pages above about the Midlands style of beer which I prefer compared to the South, but aside from that I do think it's genuinely one of the better ales around.

• Like 1