Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I'm pretty happy with our season so far - Am I mad?

1 minute ago, peterborofox said:

I'm not happy. We've missed two big opportunities to get to a final of a competition. I'm sick of being happy or content. We should strive for more. 

I'm unhappy we have failed to beat three dross teams in last three home league games. We should be comfortably seventh but if I could put money on it i don't even think we'll finish eighth.

I'm not happy with the manager. Ugly sideways football and absolutely bizarre subs (and timing of them) and tactics. 

Season feels wasted for me. Can end up with not much to play for in these final games now. Roll on next August

We lost to Chelsea and Man City both in or after extra time. How can that be missing a big opportunity? Some people are saying that Man city are the best team there's ever been in the prem? 

We could and should have won more games in the league but 7th would be a very very good result.

I think the manager is great. You don't like the fact that we are actually passing the ball and that we have skilfull players in the team - Diabaté looks a great addition - Puel's only one for now. What do you prefer the long hit and hope ball on the back of 30% possession to our diminutive attackers? We no longer have the defence without mentioning the rule changes to defend for 70 minutes of a game.

Better to be playing for 7th than playing for survival imo - but each to their own.

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Todays game showed we can compete with the big boys with this current squad.

.... However, i'm not sure we'll be able to say that after this summer.

Totally agree. Mentioned it in the post match thread too but I feel like one more really quality player on a Mahrez / Vardy level would make a huge difference. But if we lose Riyad then we will surely be a worse team. 

• Like 1

Going out in the last 8 is no better than losing in the third round as far as I'm concerned. We'll finish somewhere around 8 to 10th. A boring middle of the road season with no reason to anticipate that next season will be better.

• Like 1

If we keep getting between 8-10 comfortably for a few season with a couple of good cup runs then then it can't be to bad. We just need to keep building and at least put a bit of a challenge up for the 7th and six place. Could be worse look at the likes of West Ham who tho they are still a big club but are being ran into the ground. Could be a lot worse ?

I think the frustrating thing is that you can see there's the beginnings of something really special *again* but every time the non star players have two good games that chuck in a bad one. We looked nailed on for 7th and possibly 6th a month ago but have lost consistency. I thought we were decent today against Chelsea. Shows we can go toe to toe against a top 6 team. I just want us to fill the obvious full back holes and find the solution to who scores when vardy doesn't (assuming Mahrez moves). This is on course to be our 2nd best ever premier league finish if we overtake burnley.

32 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Agreed!

We have the best run in out of the teams challenging for seventh. Let’s make every game our cup final so we can get European football. 

Not strictly true if you go on league placings. The average position of Burnley's remaining opponents is lower. We play each other and both still must play Arsenal and Brighton.

Burnley's other 5 opponents are Chelsea (5), Bournemouth (10), Watford (11), Stoke (19) and West Brom (20).

Leicester's are Spurs (4), West Ham (17), Newcastle (13), Palace (16), Southampton (18). Not much in it, though.:)

SORRY I MISCOUNTED: Foxes fixtures are slightly easier by just three league positions (68-65) spread over 5 teams.

Edited by lancyclaret
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Going out in the last 8 is no better than losing in the third round as far as I'm concerned. We'll finish somewhere around 8 to 10th. A boring middle of the road season with no reason to anticipate that next season will be better.

That's the spirit.

It's not been bad, it's just so frustrating watching the mistakes and the could have beens. I really hope we can get 7th. Competing in Europe is an extra factor toward attracting top quality players, and we need a good few to kick on.

We're an ambitious lot after the league win, but I think it's granted. There's a lot going for our club and we should want it at its very best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KFS said:

It's not been bad, it's just so frustrating watching the mistakes and the could have beens. I really hope we can get 7th. Competing in Europe is an extra factor toward attracting top quality players, and we need a good few to kick on.

We're an ambitious lot after the league win, but I think it's granted. There's a lot going for our club and we should want it at its very best.

I don't think us being in Europe makes us more attractive to top players or we may have had a few more come in when we had the chance. I feel most players would rather go to a shit team in London or the shit part of Liverpool just to be on more money

There's extra context though you miss out when you just say "made it to the last 8" etc

Man City league cup. They played a few kids and reserves whilst we also rested for no good reason. If we had played full strength is likely we would have gone through on the night to a semi vs Bristol City (v winnable) and potentially a cup final.

Tonight we lost to an out of sorts Chelsea team who are 5th and in poor form. It was there for the taking and we didn't reach the required level. We would have played Southampton had we won (relegation zone and we beat them 1-4 at their place earlier this season) in the semi (v winnable). Another potential cup final. 

In the league, save for Puel's first few games we've been frustrating and dropped points to teams we really should be beating. We haven't reached the level we know that this group of players are capable of. We should be competing for 6th, not languishing behind Burnley in 8th. 

• Like 1

I dont think we've had a bad season, especially how we were looking before Puel came in but it definitely is a season of what ifs and buts. We could have challenged Arsenal for 6th and we could have made the final of both cups but at the end of the day we are Leicester city and aside from winning the prem, i think we have to accept being an inconsistent mid table team and i think we should all be relatively happy with that given the years of utter shite we had to endure before Nige got us promoted. Given the finances we have, some may say we should expect more but Everton are proof that money doesn't always buy success. Ultimately we probably have to accept we will never be a regular in the top 6 barring the odd season here and there. 

Of course most of us are disappointed that after an initial "bounce" under Puel we seemed to have plateuaed somewhat and in some games we have definitely gone backwards. It is disappointing to see us fall just short of semis in both domestic cups and to have not kicked on from our quick rise into 7th. I was swearing and shouting at the tv a lot tonight because Chelsea were there for the taking.

Having said that, some of the moaners really do need to zoom out a little bit and look at the bigger picture. There are a top 6 who are on another level in terms of consistent financial backing and european football but we are widely (and quite rightly) spoken about as not far off. The title has obviously changed all of our expectations but we are establishing ourselves as a regular PL team, and a very good one at that on our day. We have always been a yo-yo team and at the minute one bad season could change things, but look at how we are slowly establishing ourselves as a PL force. People hark on about the MON years but we were only in the prem for 4 seasons under him and soon after that were some of the darkest days this club has seen. Same again next season and this could well be our longest spell in the top flight of English football for 40 years. That doesn't make up for a full back refusing to cross the ball or a keeper getting beaten to a cross by bloody Pedro the dwarf but christ if you aren't able to step back and take a look at where we are as a club now - will you ever?

I'm not sure Puel will move us on to new heights but how many people at the start of the season would've accepted 8th and the quarters in both cups?

I know I would've. We've still got Europe to play for, be a little positive for fvcks sake.

• Like 2

It's alright remaining positive but it's understandable that a lot of fans are frustrated after today, this was a big opportunity missed against a side who are currently in an unstable situation, Chelsea haven't been great recently and going into today many believed we had a good chance of winning. You can't fault the effort by the players today; however yet again the same problems seem to occur, individual mistakes, certain players not looking up to standard and a lot of wasted opportunities when it comes to the final third.

I get Puel is trying to adapt us but I think he's trying to adapt us a bit too much, we have so many players that clearly don't fit his style, he's trying to take away the things that we're good at. We've always been a side that likes to cross the ball, lately though we have no real outlet, Vardy may get on the end of a cross now and then but majority of the time we're full of wasted opportunities, we're a team with no plan B, even in our Championship days we had Steve Howard to call upon when the going got tough, since we got promoted we've had Ulloa and Slimani, who do we have now? Nobody.

Not so long ago we were going to home games in full confidence of winning, nowadays I really don't know what to expect when I turn up to the KP, for the past month our home form has been rigged with constant disappointments. For the next few months our home form must improve, otherwise many more fans are going to question whether Puel is the right man. We are currently 8th, we could finish 7th, we could even finish outside the top 10.

No point burying our heads in the sand like we have nothing to play for, we need to go out and make some more statements like we saw against West Brom, if not then more fans will get on Puel's back and it may cost him his job.

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

It's alright remaining positive but it's understandable that a lot of fans are frustrated after today, this was a big opportunity missed against a side who are currently in an unstable situation, Chelsea haven't been great recently and going into today many believed we had a good chance of winning. You can't fault the effort by the players today; however yet again the same problems seem to occur, individual mistakes, certain players not looking up to standard and a lot of wasted opportunities when it comes to the final third.

I get Puel is trying to adapt us but I think he's trying to adapt us a bit too much, we have so many players that clearly don't fit his style, he's trying to take away the things that we're good at. We've always been a side that likes to cross the ball, lately though we have no real outlet, Vardy may get on the end of a cross now and then but majority of the time we're full of wasted opportunities, we're a team with no plan B, even in our Championship days we had Steve Howard to call upon when the going got tough, since we got promoted we've had Ulloa and Slimani, who do we have now? Nobody.

Not so long ago we were going to home games in full confidence of winning, nowadays I really don't know what to expect when I turn up to the KP, for the past month our home form has been rigged with constant disappointments. For the next few months our home form must improve, otherwise many more fans are going to question whether Puel is the right man. We are currently 8th, we could finish 7th, we could even finish outside the top 10.

No point burying our heads in the sand like we have nothing to play for, we need to go out and make some more statements like we saw against West Brom, if not then more fans will get on Puel's back and it may cost him his job.

Good post that one.

Spot on imo.