Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I'm pretty happy with our season so far - Am I mad?

14 hours ago, Webbo said:

Going out in the last 8 is no better than losing in the third round as far as I'm concerned. We'll finish somewhere around 8 to 10th. A boring middle of the road season with no reason to anticipate that next season will be better.

What do you want though? We all want European placed league finishes and trophies but there will probably be only two English clubs who win a trophy this season.

7 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Our dependence on Vardy, 31, and Mahrez, soon to depart, is huge.

And arguably detrimental to the team, more players need to start taking responsibility and not pass it to Mahrez and hope he does something, or Vardy chases down an aimless punt and makes something out of nothing. 

14 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Being picky but we did win 2 league cups and lost a third under MON but I do understand your point 

97-98 we went out of every competition at virtually the first hurdle and finished 10th, still was a good season, but that's because you felt every player was giving their all every game and striving to achieve the best they could. A feeling I don't get about everyone this season.

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

And arguably detrimental to the team, more players need to start taking responsibility and not pass it to Mahrez and hope he does something, or Vardy chases down an aimless punt and makes something out of nothing. 

97-98 we went out of every competition at virtually the first hurdle and finished 10th, still was a good season, but that's because you felt every player was giving their all every game and striving to achieve the best they could. A feeling I don't get about everyone this season.

And with a World Cup on the horizon, I doubt you will see any extra effort now

Do players really want to qualify for the Europa league when it will mean starting the season in mid July ?? Imo, we will need virtually two separate squads to compete in that league and the prem next season. I think that’s it for now - we will limp to a 10th place finish, possibly as low as twelfth !  Plenty of changes over the summer as Puel tries to stamp himself on the squad. It may be tough to offload some of the players he wants to. 

Guest Col city fan

I might be called out for saying this but as much as I think we’ve stabilised under Puel, I also worry for the future under him.

It’s hard to explain why, other than just watching quite a few games under Puel now where I’ve wondered what the Hell we were doing. In terms of formation, team selection and the such like.

I know we struggled under Pearson in his Prem season, but at least I knew what we were doing and how we were playing. It was rare (if my memory serves me right), that he’d pick a side that I’d disagree with.

Sometimes I don’t understand Puel in football terms. But that’s probably just me.

25 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I might be called out for saying this but as much as I think we’ve stabilised under Puel, I also worry for the future under him.

It’s hard to explain why, other than just watching quite a few games under Puel now where I’ve wondered what the Hell we were doing. In terms of formation, team selection and the such like.

I know we struggled under Pearson in his Prem season, but at least I knew what we were doing and how we were playing. It was rare (if my memory serves me right), that he’d pick a side that I’d disagree with.

Sometimes I don’t understand Puel in football terms. But that’s probably just me.

I feel the opposite, I think it is clear what Puel is trying to do, but he doesn't have the players to do it. He wants a solid core with plenty of width to attack down the flanks. 2 CDMs covering 2 CBs, attacking full backs and attacking wide players to feed Vardy.

Control the game, control possession limit the opposition's chances by being solid in the middle and create plenty of chances with our attacking quartet.

If you look at the stats it is working, we are creating chances, and limiting the opposition, but we gift the opposition 2 or 3 good chances a game and we don't create that many clear cut chances and those we do create we don't stick away.

The problem is he can choose Chilwell who has plenty of energy going forwards, but lacks quality defensively and with his final ball or Fuchs who lacks the energy of youth but has the composure and experience, both play better with Albrighton in front of them. Playing Gray leaves them way too exposed. On the right we now only have Simpson fit who has had any attacking instincts drilled out of him over the last few years so now he just doesn't know what to do in the opposition's half. Add to that Mahrez is now tracking back more to help cover his forrays forwards. That is what Ranieri did so well was identify the obvious strengths and weaknesses and tailor our play to suit them. Puel is trying to play a conventional game with unconventional players.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

Frustrating but I'm still fairly happy. 

We are under a big transition from the Pearson/Ranieri period. Moving players on and getting in some new faces that can do the work Puel wants them to do. Sure he has made some questionable decision but every manager in the league does. It happens. 

It was clear we needed more from the full backs last night. Simpson made a run to the corner and then just passed to Mahrez. Chilwell usually cut back inside. If we had full backs willing to take on a player and make runs with some end product on a cross/pass we could be doing very well. Sorting Full backs and a No.10 is priority in my view. 

People moaning we didn't get a RB in January need to be realistic about the winter window. No one wants to sell quality in January.

We aren't getting relegated. We still have European football to chase again.

Smile everyone. 

13 hours ago, ealingfox said:

17th and 2 quarter finals is probably better than 8th and 2 quarter finals given you get the scenes of staying up over the abject humiliation of finishing below Burnley.

Yeah, I bet you'd love being worried about getting relegated all season and the shite performances that come from a team in the relegation fight. How entertaining! Not to mention we'd still be below Burnley.

We're 8th and narrowly missed out on 2 semi finals and you're clamouring for 17th. Fvcking bonkers.

• Like 1

It's been frustrating and felt like a series of cockups and chaos, from silvas effective 4 month ban over 14 seconds, to losing two home quarter finals, to the mahrez palavar.

That said, if someone had sat you down 1st of august last year and offered two quarter finals and a top half finish with an outside shot at europe in the last eight games, you'd have taken it wouldn't you? 

21 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Yeah, I bet you'd love being worried about getting relegated all season and the shite performances that come from a team in the relegation fight. How entertaining! Not to mention we'd still be below Burnley.

We're 8th and narrowly missed out on 2 semi finals and you're clamouring for 17th. Fvcking bonkers.

Fair point.

Obviously I would rather have neither and have some competent recruitment and management to give us the 7th place that reflects our expenditure.

More than happy to finish top 10 . I would have took it at the start of the season. Dissappointed to go out the cup but who isn't . Already looking ahead to who Puel might bring in come the summer though I have a feeling im gonna be disappointed unless we sell first  

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Some people seemed to have forgotten most of the prem season under NP.

There were many times we didn't look like we knew what we were doing, strange team selections, lack of creativity, changing formations etc....

The diamond 442 and 352 are just two examples.

• Like 1

We've stabilised after a very dodgy start and have a manager of decent pedigree that's going to improve us given time to get his own style of players in.

While it's a little frustrating at times at the minute, I think we're heading in the right direction and should start seeing gradual improvements over the coming seasons. As long as I never have to see players paid thousands of pounds a week treating the ball like a live grenade I'll be happy. The state of the club and the football we were playing was atrocious at the start of this season.

I'll be glad when it's over and we can start to bring in some better quality to improve the starting eleven. Hopefully Puel has a big say in the players we recruit, otherwise it's all going to be pretty pointless.

If we sign an attacking midfielder that can score and create as well as find a reasonable Riyad replacement hopefully we’ll be spreading the goals around better. If we sign a RB that’s comfortable running with the ball and

crossing then with just three signings across the board the whole side is more dangerous rather than relying on two players to win us games too often.

yes, I'm pretty happy, but I'm already getting worried about the close season! I think it's important we're not too proud with regard the mistakes we've made purchasing Musa and Mendy. If we can get £3 or £4 million for each, then we should just do it. Likewise we need to offload Benny, and i suspect we will not offer Hamer or Huthy a new contract. If we can get £2 million for Leo, let's take that too. Kingy? It would be sad to see him go, but i think he probably should. £3 or £4 million again. So that's about £15 million incoming.

Riyad? I'd try and get £60 million, but take £55 million. 

Slim? I still think he might be able to do a job for us, but if someone wants to pay £15 million for him, we should probably take it.

This means we have at least £70 million to spend without actually investing anything. So it may be we have as much as £100 million to spend. I do also fear there will be interest in Big H and Wilf, but lets hope not.

£100 million!  i think we would pretty much all agree we need to upgrade at right back. We also need a new centre back. This may be Drago. With Huth and Benny out of the picture, and Wes perhaps only having one season left, it might be we need two centre backs. We also need a Shinji upgrade, and a new winger.

So by August, we might look this this:

Kasper

New RB       Maguire   New CB    Chilwell

N'didi      Iborra

Silva

New Shinji                 Diabate

Vardy

in effect we don't try to replace the irreplaceable Riyad, but have an attack minded right back, Silva becomes our creative force in midfield, and we try and upgrade Shinji (sorry Shinji, you are wonderful and we will always love you).

So i reckon we will see at least seven of this year's squad depart, and i hope for five quality signings.

@fif ,well done,really Shakes Up the bottle with These Posts.

Splits the men from the Boys,Sifts Out the too arrogant expectations.

Even those with OTT expectation of entitlement.

Gud on ya,@fif....fair,...incredible..Faithfull.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

@fif ,well done,really Shakes Up the bottle with These Posts.

Splits the men from the Boys,Sifts Out the too arrogant expectations.

Even those with OTT expectation of entitlement.

Gud on ya,@fif....fair,...incredible..Faithfull.

Ffs... I’m pretty sure FIF only does it for the brownie points...

:thumbup:

Besides the top six and West Brom all the teams are pretty much at the same level. At any given Saturday you can win or lose with only small details making the difference. Being the best of the rest is pretty good! Actually the team overachieved when you think about it.

Guest MattP

I think I'll look back on the season as a huge chance missed. 

Two very winnable QF's at home that would have resulted in us being strong favourites to reach the final both lost in part due to managerial decisions. 

League position is about where we should be in comparison to our wage bill, I fear for the future without Mahrez and Vardy.

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, MattP said:

Two very winnable QF's at home that would have resulted in us being strong favourites to reach the final both lost in part due to managerial decisions. 

League position is about where we should be in comparison to our wage bill, I fear for the future without Mahrez and Vardy.

Sums it up for me. It’s not been a ‘bad’ season and Puel has steered us clear of any problems.

But the cups could have made it a really good season.

Of course any game is "winnable" but Man City and Chelsea would not be opponents you would choose to play if you wanted a straightforward passage to the next round, even at home and perhaps playing weakened teams, as in the case of Man City, or when tired in Chelsea's case. Yes, it's disappointing to get to the QFs and get knocked out but we've hardly blown a golden chance by losing on either occasion. We haven't lost to Wycombe again; we've lost to the current and soon to be PL champions! So overall, 2 QFs and hopefully a decent top half league position represents a reasonable season for me. It's certainly way better than the early season dross pre Puel and much of last season. 

I get the point about our squad is the 7th most expensive so we should finish at least 7th. But we can't blame Puel for wasting so much money on players who haven't proved good enough. He's spent only £3m on one very promising young player so far; the rest of the squad he inherited. I'm sure that Puel knows that we need new recruits in several positions, ie 2 full backs, a creative midfielder and a CB, plus more if we lose Riyad, Harry or Wilf. If Diabaté is anything to go by I would be hopeful Puel would find the right players. 

Fans of other clubs who i speak to are amazed when i tell them that a significant number of fans on here already want Puel out. I'll be honest it puzzles me too.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Nah.

We have played well against top 6 teams but haven't been able to beat them in the league this year - which is understandable as we are not as good as the top 6. 

We played very well and nearly beat ManCity in the league Cup and very well and nearly beat Chelsea in the FA Cup but even if we had we may have had to beat 2 further top 6 teams in the next 2 rounds. We've proven that we are not at that level yet. There's no disgrace in it. Last 8 in the league and last 8 in the whole of the FA. Only us Manure, Chelsea and Spuds managed that this season.

We are in a transitional phase with our champions - who were old when they won - coming to the end of their careers and a new group of young players with great potential and skill getting that experience which every player needs to fulfill their potential.

Already this season Fuchs and Huth have moved out and Drinky moved on and surely the end of the season will see Kingy, Simpson (ulloa) and Morgan join them and with Mahrez wanting to leave that means only Kasper, Albrighton and Vardy will remain from the winning core. Puel has done well to keep us at the top of the other teams as this natural evolution has taken place. 

Thankfully we have so many talented young players starting to gain that much needed experience - Chilwell, Ndidi, Amartey, Maguire, Gray, Iheanacho and Diabaté adding to a mix of newly acquired talented players like Silva, Iborra, Dragovic. I don't feel we need so many new players to secure another very good season next year. A RB should be the priority, with a good number 10 and an alternative to Vardy ( which I still think could be Slimani) for when we need a big on the pitch.

A starting 11 next season of

Kasper

New RB / Amartey

Dragovic

Maguire

Chilwell

Ndidi

Iborra

Diabaté

Silva

Gray (Albrighton for those who hate Gray)

Vardy

looks a good lineup that can again be top 8 and make the latter stages of the cups to me.

This will get a few groans but we've been a bit all over the place as a club since we lost Pearson. First the transfer policy takes a serious nosedive and its followed up by our worst collective performances on the pitch for some time. We always had something to aspire to under Nige. We're lacking that 'taking on all comers spirit' we once had. Sports Science, Recruitment, Analysis, Psychology etc were all top notch. After having it so good for so long it was gonna slide at some point I guess.

It's great that we've got to where we are now and though I'm convinced we've improved on signings this season it does feel that something has got lost along the way.

Claude has had a season something similar to 2011-12. Trying to get us going again and getting rid of the underperformers in the process. Results being a bit hit and miss overall.Effort has been good but the draws have been a letdown.

He should get to the start of next season. We could lose at least 2 big players over the summer and he might be a good man to have to guide a rebuild.