Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

On 23/03/2018 at 05:44, vanity said:

People keep saying this about Chilwell, but where is the evidence? It isn't like he really attacks either, he just presses forward until challenged then passes it off. We need goal scorers at both LB and RB. We need to bring in one of each, and let Chilwell and Amartey battle for the spots.

Well two assists in his last two premier league games is a good start. 

Goal scoring full backs? It's not even a thing really is it.

• Like 4

I'm still uninspired by him. His style of football is dull. Saints said the same. However I am grateful for what he has done. He has steadied the ship and got us the points we need. I just wish we could be doing it in a more entertaining way.

15 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

I'm still uninspired by him. His style of football is dull. Saints said the same. However I am grateful for what he has done. He has steadied the ship and got us the points we need. I just wish we could be doing it in a more entertaining way.

So if we won enough games next season with boring 1 nils to secure our 2nd Premier title you wouldn't be happy?

He clearly has a vision re playing style 

soton were clearly a poor side without van dyke holding them together 

give him a chance to get some of his own players in and let’s have any chat about whether he is a good fit this time next year. All I ask for the time being is that he improves his English so he doesn’t have to repeat the same adjective/adverb every 15 seconds. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

goal scoring fullbacks. heard it all now.

Everything that people wanted when shakey was in charge has happened/is in motion and people still moan.

-Gave the fa cup a good go (in terms of lineups not neccessarily performances)
-Started to replace an ageing back 4
-Integrated a more possession based style of play
-Brought in (and improved) young players
-top 8 finish

This is exactly why he’s earned a real crack next season. This season is really similar to a classic MON season - no fear of relegation, solid in the league and decent runs in the cup. The sort of season I was optimistically hoping for when we got promoted. 2015/16 spoilt us because the emotional thrill of that season felt so good!

If we finish below Burnley then that’s a disappointment given relative team budgets and starting 11’s, but they’ve had a great season and been top half all season long, so some credit where it’s due. 

Our three run spell against Swansea, Stoke and Bournemouth is where we dropped the ball in terms of points thrown away. We could also have put out a stronger team against Man City in the Carabao Cup and we went out to Chelsea despite being the better team in the FA Cup. But overall Puel has been very solid and compared to where we were with Shakespeare has improved us a lot. 

If we could finish 7th it would be a good season. Finish 8th and it will be a decent one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bunyip said:

If he lasts more than ten games into next season I'll be amazed.

Because certain sections of the support are determined not to embrace him or his style, rather than him actually doing badly.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 minutes ago, Donut said:

Because certain sections of the support are determined not to embrace him or his style, rather than him actually doing badly.

The record over the last 15 games is actually pretty poor.

Yes he's done a good job but no better than Shakespeare did really.

5 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Well, were going to have to agree to disagree.

Puel isnt Guardiola but he has brought with him a plan and a vision, and he is improving us with players who dont ideally fit the way he wants to play. Hes lifted us up to 8th and scored some very impressive wins along the way. And even without winning, some games weve been very impressive....Chelsea away 0-0 comes to mind.

Shakespeare had no plan at all. He played more or less the same football Ranieri played which we knew was starting to fail, and as many do, capitalised on his early bounce to some successive wins. Those wins were almost all at home, and against teams like Sunderland and Hull.

He didnt have any kind of vision for what he wanted HIS Leicester City to be like, or if he did, he didnt translate it into action very well.

He did a fine job in steadying the ship and keeping us up. Getting us through the Sevilla game too. But then he should have been either kept in the backroom team, or moved on.

It was the easiest cop out in the world to give him the job full time, and it was never going to be the same task it was coming in as an interim manager.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Not sure myself that we'd be sitting 8th and challenging for a European spot if Shakey was still charge.

Puel has made a decent if not spectacular start to his tenure IMO. I say let's get behind him and see if we improve next season.

• Like 1

I think his future hinges on Europa League qualification tbh, I like Puel and think if we give him time he could deliver us silverware was disappointed in the Chelsea game but we were unlucky.

He's not perfect but we aren't going to get the perfect manager, some of his decision making has been strange but on the whole he is doing a good job. Have to wait and see what happens, because this is LCFC, we make the impossible possible.

I think Rafa would be an upgrade tbh, but other than that, I cannot see many realistic better options than Puel.

Puel's done fine, as did Shakespeare. They both have similar records overall.

Correcting for the level of opposition, the results have also been pretty similar.

Against top 6 clubs, both had one convincing victory (Shakey - Liverpool, Puel - Spurs), one battering (Shakey - Spurs, Puel - Man C), and a few narrow defeats where we arguably deserved something from the game.

Against the mid-low table clubs we've had awful bore draws and lucky wins with both. Although I don't think Shakey lost to anyone outside top 6?

Yes we were near the relegation zone when Shakey was sacked, but let's not forget the tougher opponents at the start of the season, and that at the time Shakey had to play King instead of James/Iborra/Silva. Under Shakey when we had Ndidi+James (Arsenal) we could  and did play beautiful attacking football too. Couldn't keep it up for the whole game but even now we can apparently only do it for the last 30 mins.

Yes the football's more progressive now if your definition of progressive is possession and playing it on the floor. Most people feel that the passing game is a more attractive and enjoyable play style to watch, which is fair enough. But a few of us (myself included) genuinely enjoyed watching the rapid forward long ball direct play more. It isn't a 'wrong' opinion to find long balls over the top more aesthetically pleasing than intricate passing. I'm also not totally convinced there's enough evidence to say our old style was 'found out'. All teams (except Man C) struggle against bus parkers.

I'm not knocking Puel, I think Shakey was abysmal at subs and I do think Puel is better for the future due to the emphasis on youth. And I agree he needs to get his own players in before we can properly judge him. But the stuff about Shakey being about to relegate us rather annoys me.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Over 15 games it would have us 9th in a mini league.

Over last 16 games 7th.

Over last 9 games 7th.

Not sure how any of that could be constituted poor, average at worst.

• Like 2