Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

A Trip to London

On 23/03/2018 at 21:09, Parafox said:

I don't think I got served in the hotel or the bars we went to by a British person, from the time I parked my car to the time I got home. That's fine, but my childhood memories have been sullied by my recent experiences.

I'm reluctant to ever go back. 

I'd sooner visit a more tolerant and welcoming city than London... Prague, Krakow, Barcelona, Budapest. It would likely be cheaper, too.

You probably won't get served by a British person in those places either.

• Haha 2

Guest Kopfkino
4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You are aware it's quite a large Borough? Tell that to someone who lives in E. Hampstead,  W. Highgate or Primrose Hill - and Belsize Park and parts of Chalk Farm and Kentish Town are not too bad. It sounds like you visited the obligatory lock and the market once when you were bored on a Sunday. 

lol I live in the borough, in fact I think it's a great borough to live in. But if people talk about visiting Camden it's normally the bit running between Mornington Crescent and the market, for which my comment absolutely stands. 

Just now, Kopfkino said:

lol I live in the borough, in fact I think it's a great borough to live in. But if people talk about visiting Camden it's normally the bit running between Mornington Crescent and the market, for which my comment absolutely stands. 

I'm inclined to agree. I suspected that's what you were referring to, which is a shame because overall it's a nice borough of London. What part are you in?

lol sense of perspective.

As a young kid Christmas eve I could not sleep getting to sleep was impossible and would wake up at stupid O'clock in the morning. 

Now at 52 I go sleep Christmas eve just the same as any other night. I can still wake up at silly o'clock except silly o'clock is very close to lunch time.

Birthdays when younger like Christmas was. Now who gives a fvck.

Wagon wheels did not get that much smaller it was your hands and gob got bigger lollollol 

Guest Kopfkino
14 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I'm inclined to agree. I suspected that's what you were referring to, which is a shame because overall it's a nice borough of London. What part are you in?

Around Swiss Cottage way. It's a great borough actually, stretches a long way and it's pretty diverse in it's offering. Tbf I'm sure in its heyday that stretch would have been alright, it's just there's too many of the wrong sort patrolling and it's lost much of the individuality it seems to think it still has. 

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Around Swiss Cottage way. It's a great borough actually, stretches a long way and it's pretty diverse in it's offering. Tbf I'm sure in its heyday that stretch would have been alright, it's just there's too many of the wrong sort patrolling and it's lost much of the individuality it seems to think it still has. 

Off the Finchley Road? - Not that far from Belsize Park then. I lived in Kilburn for a while many years ago, but used to walk up to South Hampstead because I was seeing a girl up there and the pubs were more civilised. 

Guest Kopfkino
18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Off the Finchley Road? - Not that far from Belsize Park then. I lived in Kilburn for a while many years ago, but used to walk up to South Hampstead because I was seeing a girl up there and the pubs were more civilised. 

Yeah pretty much. I suppose it's classed as South Hampstead, at least the school is called it. I don't think there's any South Hampstead pubs now? Probably the one off Abbey Road on the way to Kilburn that looks a bit of dump and the Swiss Cottage one in the area

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Yeah pretty much. I suppose it's classed as South Hampstead, at least the school is called it. I don't think there's any South Hampstead pubs now? Probably the one off Abbey Road on the way to Kilburn that looks a bit of dump and the Swiss Cottage one in the area

Do you mean the Lillie Langtry?

We used to go up to Hampstead High Street where there were some decent pubs - (The Haunch of Venison and the Three Horseshoes), but used to stop in on the way at one on Finchley Road not far after the tube station on the left. Can't recall the name but it isn't there anymore. 

Back to Camden Town, used to go there because some of the music press were based at Mornington Crescent and The Camden Palace was a great venue as was Dingwalls. Very different back then.  

6 hours ago, nnfox said:

You probably won't get served by a British person in those places either.

Yeah, thanks for stating the bleeding obvious. I have no problem with other nationalities working in the UK, it was merely an observation because, it did seem a bit incongruous to be in Mr Fogg's pub/gin parlour in the Soho area, that was trying so hard to be the quintessentially "Ye Olde English Laaandaaan" pub where the "serving wenches" wore corsets and bustles, Union Jack bunting strung around and "My Old Man" and "Knees Up Mother Brown" etc. playing on the music loop, but they spoke with Polish and eastern European accents. Again, that's not a problem, albeit kinda odd given the history the pub was trying to recreate.

That didn't alter the fact that we quite enjoyed it. Until we got the bill for a pint of watery London "best" bitter and a glass of Chardonnay that cost us £15... seriously. 

I know London is expensive and I expected to be overcharged but I didn't expect to be robbed blind... 2 cups of tea and a strawberry cupcake in Covent Garden... £14. 

I've been to Barcelona, Paris, Rome, they were expensive too but the difference for me was the service: staff coming to your table, taking your order, allowing you to relax, bringing you the bill, asking if there was anything else they could do or bring for you. Not the case in the cafes in London. Order at the counter. Tell us your table number. Pay at the counter, we even had to clear our table before we could sit down. Crap. (before I get jumped on, I know they're not all like this).

Edited by Parafox

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Probably the best city in the world 

Rome

Barcelona

Prague

Krakow

Tokyo

Berlin

Athens

Copenhagen

Madrid

Amsterdam...

All miles better IMO and I speak from having been there (except Tokyo, but my brother has been and I take his word).

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Rome

Barcelona

Prague

Krakow

Tokyo

Berlin

Athens

Copenhagen

Madrid

Amsterdam...

All miles better IMO and I speak from having been there (except Tokyo, but my brother has been and I take his word).

Amsterdam is miles better actually you're right. London is the best city in the UK I'll change my statement  

24 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Yeah, thanks for stating the bleeding obvious. I have no problem with other nationalities working in the UK, it was merely an observation because, it did seem a bit incongruous to be in Mr Fogg's pub/gin parlour in the Soho area, that was trying so hard to be the quintessentially "Ye Olde English Laaandaaan" pub where the "serving wenches" wore corsets and bustles, Union Jack bunting strung around and "My Old Man" and "Knees Up Mother Brown" etc. playing on the music loop, but they spoke with Polish and eastern European accents. Again, that's not a problem, albeit kinda odd given the history the pub was trying to recreate.

That didn't alter the fact that we quite enjoyed it. Until we got the bill for a pint of watery London "best" bitter and a glass of Chardonnay that cost us £15... seriously. 

I know London is expensive and I expected to be overcharged but I didn't expect to be robbed blind... 2 cups of tea and a strawberry cupcake in Covent Garden... £14. 

I've been to Barcelona, Paris, Rome, they were expensive too but the difference for me was the service: staff coming to your table, taking your order, allowing you to relax, bringing you the bill, asking if there was anything else they could do or bring for you. Not the case in the cafes in London. Order at the counter. Tell us your table number. Pay at the counter, we even had to clear our table before we could sit down. Crap. (before I get jumped on, I know they're not all like this).

could you not have looked at the menu/prices before you entered?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Parafox said:

All cities have shitty, overpriced 'traditional' places that are just tourist traps. Just do a bit of research before you go.

Tbh being served watery bitter by a Pole is probably the most English thing I can imagine. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

I just like wandering around with no particular objective

That's what I do these days when I visit. I like to revisit places I knew, as a kind of nostalgia thing, but it's not planned in any real way. I know my unplanned amble will take me to them eventually, whilst stumbling onto places new to me.

Re Camden Town, it has changed greatly over the years (as someone else mentioned). In the 80s, I'd walk through Regents Park to go there to see a concert and/or have beers with friends.  Loads of bands played at the Electric Ballroom or the Palais, the markets were a source of bootlegs and rare singles, and an incredible selection of all manner of clothing items. It really was a great place. I know I'm going to sound like a old fart but the place changed, I dunno when exactly, in the 90s or later maybe, and it held less interest for me. Central London had few live music venues (The Borderline excepted, but it wasn't big) and whilst you could see pub bands in some places (Soho/Cambridge Circus fr'instance), you'd need to go to Camden, or Kentish Town, Hammersmith, Brixton see see bands. (Edit: I've just remembered the Astoria, which no longer exists. That was - as I recall - central London's only large live music venue. I saw a few bands there)

Edited by CarbonVirtine

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Rome

Barcelona

Prague

Krakow

Tokyo

Berlin

Athens

Copenhagen

Madrid

Amsterdam...

Not having Madrid and Prague better than London. I like them both but not even close. Madrid isn't even close to being the best city in Spain.

It's a fantastic city. I couldn't live there in a million years but absolutely love visiting. It really does have a buzz to it.

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

Rome

Barcelona

Prague

Krakow

Tokyo

Berlin

Athens

Copenhagen

Madrid

Amsterdam...

Not been to Tokyo or Athens, but none of the other cities can touch London.

I love Rome, been a dozen times or so, but it is dirty and uncared for.

Barcelona is all concrete except the Ramblas 

Prague central is ok, but otherwise pretty unexceptional

Berlin, another favourite of mine is full of history, but until recently, rebuilt in an unsympathetic way. 

Copenhagen is decidedly average with a comparatively poor transportation system

Madrid isn't a patch on Seville, Granada etc. 

And Amsterdam is a dump - the only good thing is that they hate the German national team as well.

If you think Camden market / lock is London, then you will get a bad impression. Avoid these sort of areas. Ok, I was born in the smoke, so have a natural love of the city. I go back regularly, but there are literally hundreds of interesting boroughs to visit. 

I've probably been to a 100 or so cities in Europe, some great places, but London is unique! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CarbonVirtine said:

That's what I do these days when I visit. I like to revisit places I knew, as a kind of nostalgia thing, but it's not planned in any real way. I know my unplanned amble will take me to them eventually, whilst stumbling onto places new to me.

Re Camden Town, it has changed greatly over the years (as someone else mentioned). In the 80s, I'd walk through Regents Park to go there to see a concert and/or have beers with friends.  Loads of bands played at the Electric Ballroom or the Palais, the markets were a source of bootlegs and rare singles, and an incredible selection of all manner of clothing items. It really was a great place. I know I'm going to sound like a old fart but the place changed, I dunno when exactly, in the 90s or later maybe, and it held less interest for me. Central London had few live music venues (The Borderline excepted, but it wasn't big) and whilst you could see pub bands in some places (Soho/Cambridge Circus fr'instance), you'd need to go to Camden, or Kentish Town, Hammersmith, Brixton see see bands. (Edit: I've just remembered the Astoria, which no longer exists. That was - as I recall - central London's only large live music venue. I saw a few bands there)

Great post. 

Town and Country Club, Dingwalls, The Marquee, The Mean Fiddler,The Rainbow, Madame Jo Jos, The Fridge - all thriving venues back then. The Astoria was a brilliant venue - played there three times. Bulldozed to expand the Tottenham Court Road station ticket hall. 

I used to go to Kensington Market and Camden Town to get bootlegs, alternative music, apparel and literature...now it's obligatory, and mainstream tacky but also seedy, prowled by pushers and dealers. It's much like Venice Beach LA without the sunshine. Great shame. 

As a grubby little student, I loved going clothes shopping in Camden and trawling through the record stores. 

But let's be honest, if you are an adult it IS shit and full of weirdos, it was an accurate post. 

Clearly, a day tripper doesn't give a toss about whether its a good Borough to live in, they're just going to rock up at the Lock like everyone else, take one look at the market or the food food poisoning death traps and go "what's the fuss all about?" 

Hard to argue with that. 

If you're in your teens or early twenties and love yourself a bit of alternative / counter culture then it's still worth a visit even if its not quite the mecca you may be expecting. 

Edited by Finnegan

I really enjoy visiting London for away games and odd trips but couldn't ever live there and some of the areas are shit holes. Tourist places are decent tho. 

I hate the pricing of everything and in some places how is so crowded. But I can understand why it's so popular, as I say I enjoy visits but cant afford anything more than odd day.

I would put Berlin and Krakow very high on a list. But I don't feel as there is as much to do as in London. But both are much cleaner and feel more traditional and native to each country than London does I feel. Also they are cheaper than London I think too.

But for a trip you could spend longer in London than those two imo. 

Paris is similar to London I feel. Similar sort of crap areas and like London has a lot of immigration. 

Our transport system in this county is a better standard but Paris metro was certainly cheaper I feel. I would probably put London above Paris for sure

3 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

I really enjoy visiting London for away games and odd trips but couldn't ever live there and some of the areas are shit holes. Tourist places are decent tho. 

I hate the pricing of everything and in some places how is so crowded. But I can understand why it's so popular, as I say I enjoy visits but cant afford anything more than odd day.

I would put Berlin and Krakow very high on a list. But I don't feel as there is as much to do as in London. But both are much cleaner and feel more traditional and native to each country than London does I feel. Also they are cheaper than London I think too.

But for a trip you could spend longer in London than those two imo. 

Paris is similar to London I feel. Similar sort of crap areas and like London has a lot of immigration. 

Our transport system in this county is a better standard but Paris metro was certainly cheaper I feel. I would probably put London above Paris for sure

Now Paris IS a sh1thole ...   won't be rushing back there ....

Wouldn't live there but never get bored of visiting. Find something different every time you visit, even if you only pop round the corner from an area you've been to before.

Knock £1.50 off the price of a pint in most boozers and it'd be basically a perfect city.

Depends whereabouts you go. The Thames looks really grim during the day, but brilliant at night.

Obviously the roads and stuff are shit, but how cool would it be having a metro system in Leicester. I've always found them useful when going to any other big European cities.

I like going for days/weekends, but I wouldnt ever want to live there.