Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Brighton Away post match 2-0

17 hours ago, Donut said:

We ARE moving in the right direction. We become a fluid almost 343 with the ball, this is something very unique to me watching us. Simpson was playing so high at times, ive really not seen that in many games. So it gives me optimism with new full backs, they will become a big strength of our team. Diabate was a good find. This gives me good optimism that Macia and Puel have a good handle on what we need in the summer.

Brighton is a disappointing away trip too in my opinion. A nice ground, but a bizarre location and a very lukewarm atmosphere. Chicken nuggets at a football match? 8.50 for a pie and pint of lager? sheeeesh

Only quoting part of your post as it’s a long one, but just want to say top post! Appreciate the detail and thoughtfulness given away days are games not all of us can make. Cheers!

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

The funny thing is we are on our way to our second best finish in 20 years and our 3rd best in about 45 years.  Under O'Neill when we finished 8th I was buzzing.  Where did all the joy go?  X

It’s just expectation mate. Winning the league was a double edged sword.

Along with the sheer euphoria of ‘doing the impossible’ came with the expectation (among many) of us ‘being there or thereabouts’ all over again.

This was never going to happen and ESPECIALLY with the transfer window of the summer thereafter which was possibly one of the worst (vis a vis the opportunity we had to really strengthen) that we’d ever had. Slimani, Musa, and Mendy (not even featuring in France) was horrendous.

To be 8th, given all this, is a superb effort really, especially as we’ve changed manager twice since.

On 1 April 2018 at 06:41, Guest said:

The match thread makes for fantastic reading, barely a toy left in its pram. What a disappointment it must have been for some of the more vocal bedwetters to see us secure the result away from home against a reasonable team, despite being down to ten for the closing stages and without ever being at our best.

Were we particularly good? No. Did we do enough to win a tight game? Obviously yes. 

He he beautiful post made me chuckle ?

• Like 1

Think for all the negatives about us grinding out a 2-0 away win, cannot be that sad, when Shakey left we were heavily linked with Big Sam now he has made a career of shithousing performances. If we had got him we would have witnessed  one of the better performances of the season. We could also be looking forward to bringing in some over paid over the hill players SGE style 

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised how negative a lot of the reviews are , particularly Rob Tanner's in The Mercury ,and thought we were deserved winners . The second goal was a bonus and an absolute treat for the away end who had feared the worst when the penalty was given .

A couple of points that I think should be emphasised ;- Brighton set up and played like an away side for most of the game ,our 53%  possession felt like much more and we were faced with 10 men behind the ball every time we had it , so breaking them down was extremely difficult , especially with Shinji looking very rusty and Mahrez being continually crowded out by sheer weight of numbers - the introduction of Diabete for us and March for them, opened the game up , but they only threw off the shackles when we scored.

They 'played' the inexperienced ref quite blatantly ,the yellows he was dishing out to us like confetti ,inhibited our engagement significantly and you could see the a penalty and a red coming . Even Danny Murphy on MOTD picked up the exaggerated dive by Duffy when Ndidi tackled him fairly ,repeating the process we had seen any times before. 

All in all  , whilst it wasn't pretty ,and bar from Kasper's brilliant penalty save ,could have been a loss ,it felt like we had deservedly nicked a tight game due to our all round quality and commitment - which shouldn't be underestimated. 

Any of us that doubted the squad's desire to secure seventh spot and ability to compete with the motivation of relegation threatened teams , can rest assured . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gillies Apprentice said:

I'm a bit surprised how negative a lot of the reviews are , particularly Rob Tanner's in The Mercury ,and thought we were deserved winners . The second goal was a bonus and an absolute treat for the away end who had feared the worst when the penalty was given .

A couple of points that I think should be emphasised ;- Brighton set up and played like an away side for most of the game ,our 53%  possession felt like much more and we were faced with 10 men behind the ball every time we had it , so breaking them down was extremely difficult , especially with Shinji looking very rusty and Mahrez being continually crowded out by sheer weight of numbers - the introduction of Diabete for us and March for them, opened the game up , but they only threw off the shackles when we scored.

They 'played' the inexperienced ref quite blatantly ,the yellows he was dishing out to us like confetti ,inhibited our engagement significantly and you could see the a penalty and a red coming . Even Danny Murphy on MOTD picked up the exaggerated dive by Duffy when Ndidi tackled him fairly ,repeating the process we had seen any times before. 

All in all  , whilst it wasn't pretty ,and bar from Kasper's brilliant penalty save ,could have been a loss ,it felt like we had deservedly nicked a tight game due to our all round quality and commitment - which shouldn't be underestimated. 

Any of us that doubted the squad's desire to secure seventh spot and ability to compete with the motivation of relegation threatened teams , can rest assured . 

Not so sure mate ..  for an hour we were poor and by then they had some very good chances ...  then a pen which lets be about right should have put them one up ..  we fought back and did indeed nick it ...  sometimes playing ugly and winning can define a season ...   but talking up 'the desire' and doing it on the pitch are two different things ...   soon we will be having our six pointer with Burnley and then we will see how strong that desire is ...    I'm optimistic (as usual) , not negative in the slightest, but lets be honest, eh ...   

Not sure why it's a crime to say it was a bad watch and we were very under par when it was and we were. I'm not one to moan about performances particularly, but we were struggling to complete a pass first half, we were slow and laboured, the movement up top was almost non existent. 

The manager must have thought the same as he was livid on the touch line quite clearly. There are a lot of people who go over the top, as they have done about other performances recently that I didn't personally think were that bad, but the result flattered us here where previously the results probably flattered the opposition.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

I don’t see how Brighton ‘deserved’ the victory any more than us. Created one chance from open play. From sixth minute we began to play with some zip. 

I hate watching us after after an international break because we simply play awful for the first 45. Most the players aren’t in training until late Thursday or Friday 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

The funny thing is we are on our way to our second best finish in 20 years and our 3rd best in about 45 years.  Under O'Neill when we finished 8th I was buzzing.  Where did all the joy go?  X

I think winning the league ruined some people's expectations.

I'd take 8th finish all day long. It'd be nice to add another trophy next season (preferably FA Cup but have a good go in the League Cup too).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I think winning the league ruined some people's expectations.

I'd take 8th finish all day long. It'd be nice to add another trophy next season (preferably FA Cup but have a good go in the League Cup too).

The only way I'd consider this season a disappointment is if we didn't finish in the top half and even still we've had a better season than I thought we'd have back in September/October time. 

Edited by BenTheFox

Just now, UPinCarolina said:

Diabate has to play more. That was a major takeaway for me. 

In addition, Ndidi has a tendency to make rash challenges - and I think he is beginning to get a bit of a reputation, which probably netted him his second yellow. 

His movement was brilliant. Albrighton slowed down every move all game. It was a good sub.

6 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

In addition, Ndidi has a tendency to make rash challenges - and I think he is beginning to get a bit of a reputation, which probably netted him his second yellow. 

To this point, Wilf makes his living fishing the ball out with his quickness and Mister Fantastic legs.  He makes (and often wins) challenges other players couldn't.  Young as he is, I am confident he will improve his judgment -- and develop the rest of his game so he doesn't feel he has to be the best ball-winning machine in the Prem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

This. 

Did people moan this much during the MON years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

This. 

The advent of social media has led to the opportunity for every opinion to be voiced, whether reasoned or the foul anger of the pub bore, the bully, or the lonely sad act. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

The advent of social media has led to the opportunity for every opinion to be voiced, whether reasoned or the foul anger of the pub bore, the bully, or the lonely sad act. 

I bet you're the reasoned one Peaky ...   :)

• Haha 1

To be fair we are a bigger club now than we were in 1999. So naturally expectations are higher. Some of the moaners and OTT critics are still idiots. Granted things could be better but we have the best squad we've ever had + a decent manager + plenty of money. Things are great for Leicester City fans at the moment.

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

This. 

Sadly, some did. They just didn't have the platform, some people near me used to do nothing but moan during the best of times under O'Neill. The football was "boring", players were "shit" etc etc... sounds familiar. 

• Like 1