Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

Manchester United target Leicester defender Harry Maguire in summer deal so he can take Chris Smalling's place AGAIN

EXCLUSIVE: Centre-back who pushed the Old Trafford man out of England's team could now do it at club level too

Manchester United are lining up a ­summer move for £35million-rated Leicester star Harry Maguire.

Jose Mourinho has been hugely impressed by the defender who has starred at the heart of the Foxes' defence this season.

Any deal would be a double-whammy for the Old Trafford giants' Chris Smalling — who could face losing his place to Maguire for club and country.

Maguire has already bumped Smalling out of the England team, with Gareth Southgate set to name him in the squad for this summer's World Cup in Russia.

And there’s more bad news, with 25-year-old Maguire possibly in line to take his place at Old Trafford too.

Smalling, 28, has struggled at times to convince boss Jose Mourinho he is the man to partner Eric Bailly at the heart of defence.

And Maguire – who joined Leicester in a £17million deal last summer from relegated Hull - has emerged as a genuine target for the Special One as he assesses his defensive options ahead of the summer transfer window.

Mourinho has been impressed with a raft of scouting reports on Maguire, who ironically scored a last-gasp equaliser in December to deny United a 2-1 away win over Leicester.

Maguire has been a consistent performer and an ever-present for the Foxes this season.

That form led to an England call-up in October for the final World Cup qualifier in Lithuania.

He has played in three of the four friendlies since, remaining unbeaten against Germany, Brazil and Holland to clinch a certain place in Southgate’s squad for the finals.

Former Three Lions centre-back Southgate has been impressed with Maguire’s ball-playing skills out of defence as well as his speed and physical presence.

Mourinho is a fan too and he is on a wish-list of defenders also including Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and Marquinhos of Paris Saint-Germain — both of whom would cost more than him and be much harder to get over the line.

This would be controversial ......

I know most rate him highly, however I’m not sold. 

If a deal could be struck, whereby Smalling and Jones cane the other way, I’d be inclined to listen. 

Get that pair out the medical room, you’d solve half your defensive issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

£50m plus don’t need to sell

To be honest, he’s just on the list of options, as they’re heavily linked to Umtiti and Alderweirld.

I think the lad's got his head screwed on and could learn from John Stones' mistakes, another year or two, consistetenly playing, in a smaller pond then he'll be ready for his big move.

The only thing that might tempt him to move is our own downfalls, he must be frustrated playing in this team, playing along side his very poor defensive teammates, he must be thinking WTF when it comes to Wes Morgan letting him down every game.

He's the same level as VVD so it's not unreasonable to ask for  £70m. 

The club proved with Mahrez that it won't be bullied in the transfer market.

• Like 4

If they come calling I think he will have his head turned, they will be in the Champions League next season maybe even challenging for the league and he could well be a first team player for them. But I would be wanting £50m-£60m minimum. It would be quite a shame to lose him because he has been immense for us, and I think he will get better and better.

12 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Mourinho is a fan too and he is on a wish-list of defenders also including Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and Marquinhos of Paris Saint-Germain — both of whom would cost more than him and be much harder to get over the line.

Did this guy miss the Riyad Mahrez incident or something? If they think signing Maguire for a snip will be easy then they're in for a shock...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Did this guy miss the Riyad Mahrez incident or something? If they think signing Maguire for a snip will be easy then they're in for a shock...

lol lol 

"Vichai it's Jose would you accept £35m for Harry Maguire"

Vichai "Jose do one you daft cvnt"

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Another coup from the club, with Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez (when he goes) bringing in nearly 130million Maquire should take up to 200m mark all for a 20m investment. staggering 

Yeah I feel so proud of my club selling our best players....

:unsure:

Seriously, I know what you mean but don't think coup is the word i'd use personally.

Whilst i'll discuss players prices, worth and want the right price for our players ultimately it doesn't matter how much money we get for players, especially when we spunk it away in the way we do.

• Like 1

£35m is no where near enough. We only got him for £17m because he had one year left on his contract and Hull were relegated. Under normal circumstances he would have cost north of £30m back then. Plus it's Man U. 

£60m minimum.