Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

Daily Mail:

Leicester are ready to offer England defender Harry Maguire, 25, an improved contract - taking his weekly wage from £45,000 to about £75,000 - in an attempt to ward off interest from Manchester United.

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Considering VVD is reportedly on £180,000 a week and Kyle Walker and Gary Cahill are on about £130,000 a week, offering £75,000 to Maguire still doesn’t seem enough.

True but Cahill especially and the others have a few seasons top level experience to maybe warrant higher earnings . 

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Considering VVD is reportedly on £180,000 a week and Kyle Walker and Gary Cahill are on about £130,000 a week, offering £75,000 to Maguire still doesn’t seem enough.

Gives us the opportunity to give him another pay rise the year after to avoid interest again.

• Like 2

On 13/07/2018 at 13:35, Grebfromgrebland said:

The problem we had after winning the league is that we thought we found a magic formula when in fact we we're freakishly lucky.

Instead of buying proven talent we thought we could carry on buying relative unknowns and that cost us big time.

Losing kante was fatal.  He was one of the 3 most important players, kante, vardy and mahrez.

We had championship winning form before he came in the team but half of those games we had cambiasso, and the other half we were playing with more offensive play which claudio was not willing to go back to, he trie dto keep kante tactics after we lost kante which lost our momentum.  Once the momentum was lost confidence etc. spiralled and we dropped back down to a level more like out historical level.

With that said I think we could have made better transfers tho yes.

What I have recognised is that if you want success building a team from young players is very difficult, very young players need to be groomed and primed and before they get there will have inconsistency and poor decision making.  Players in prime age lets say 24-28 tend to have heads turned very quickly and if they perform well may be gone after only 1-2 seasons to a bigger club.

I have noticed we have managed to keep players like shinji and vardy for longer, and the saving grace has been their age, its diluted any interest in those players.  So for me we should be targeting 28-31 year old players and we will get the maximum good years out of them depending on when they start declining.  I know this is a lack of future proofing type policy, also not great financially as resell value be loss making, but would be the best strategy for a club like ourselves to win more stuff.

Otherwise to keep the best 24-28 year old players at the club obscene wages would need to be paid.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Daily Mail:

Leicester are ready to offer England defender Harry Maguire, 25, an improved contract - taking his weekly wage from £45,000 to about £75,000 - in an attempt to ward off interest from Manchester United.

The starting salary at man utd offered would probably be 6 figures, I dont think it would stop his head been turned alone but it might make him sign a new contract if its combined with a "we not selling you anyway so you may as well take the wage increase" which would then fend of interest and stop paper reports until next summer.

• Like 2

It has that air of inevitability about it doesn’t it....

Dont see how we can keep him if Man U want him. Why don’t the top sides just pay us a monthly fee to scout players for them?

its like we are getting punished because Man U’s scouting system is garbage.

Edited by Joefox

1 hour ago, Joefox said:

Dont see how we can keep him if Man U want him. Why don’t the top sides just pay us a monthly fee to scout players for them?

Unfortunately I think you are right. We can refuse to sell but in the end a player will go to a really big club at some point if they want to. Should we sell though it is vital that we stand our ground. I would say that as Harry now has a world cup premium to be added to his value and the fact that he is English thus helping any English side's quota for the Champions League a fair price would be around 85-90 million plus add ons taking the total sum to say a potential 125million. Also any buying club would need to pay any siging on fees,agent's fees, loyalty bonuses or sell on value to Hull if there is any.If any top side are prepared to start at those fiugres then I would listen otherwise tell them no deal.

• Like 2

If he is to take off already, I would hope he would go to the Guardiola school of football instead of the Mourinho school. But really sure the owners would demand a king's ransom after finally letting Mahrez go. 

6 hours ago, reynard said:

Unfortunately I think you are right. We can refuse to sell but in the end a player will go to a really big club at some point if they want to. Should we sell though it is vital that we stand our ground. I would say that as Harry now has a world cup premium to be added to his value and the fact that he is English thus helping any English side's quota for the Champions League a fair price would be around 85-90 million plus add ons taking the total sum to say a potential 125million. Also any buying club would need to pay any siging on fees,agent's fees, loyalty bonuses or sell on value to Hull if there is any.If any top side are prepared to start at those fiugres then I would listen otherwise tell them no deal.

Man U will try and get him on the cheap no doubt. Like others have said this is tapping up through the media. People are saying Maguire doesn’t seem the type to have a strop and I agree but how do we know for sure his behaviour of Man U stick in 50 million bid? If it turns out Maguire does want to leave already then it puts us in a difficult situation again. We didn’t get anywhere near enough for Mahrez so what makes people think we will for Maguire? I’d fear the worse if Man U or anyone else comes in at 50 million.

we either need to make a stand and not sell him under any circumstances or sell him under his true value and avoid the oncoming drama. We need to say no absolutely not until your contract is done or accept the inevitable and sell him.

We are effectively scouting players for the top sides in the league. How are we supposed to progress when bids start coming in for our players when they start putting in good performances?

13 minutes ago, Joefox said:

Man U will try and get him on the cheap no doubt. Like others have said this is tapping up through the media. People are saying Maguire doesn’t seem the type to have a strop and I agree but how do we know for sure his behaviour of Man U stick in 50 million bid? If it turns out Maguire does want to leave already then it puts us in a difficult situation again. We didn’t get anywhere near enough for Mahrez so what makes people think we will for Maguire? I’d fear the worse if Man U or anyone else comes in at 50 million.

We were asking 49m for Mahrez last summer (club said through the media that Sterling's transfer fee was the benchmark), so arguably the 60m was a decent deal for all parties (clubs and player).

The 'fair market value' for Maguire's current state of development is probably about 40m. Would be a bad deal for all parties involved at that price though. Owners won't sell for under 75m though (club saying through media that VVD fee is the benchmark).

1 hour ago, brucey said:

We were asking 49m for Mahrez last summer (club said through the media that Sterling's transfer fee was the benchmark), so arguably the 60m was a decent deal for all parties (clubs and player).

The 'fair market value' for Maguire's current state of development is probably about 40m. Would be a bad deal for all parties involved at that price though. Owners won't sell for under 75m though (club saying through media that VVD fee is the benchmark).

Young and English add about 10-15 million

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joefox said:

Drinkwater, Simpson, James all part of our title winning squad. Never mind Rashford and Lingard being in the England squad. I'm not a man Utd advocate at all but to say their scouting is garbage is just wrong imo. I remember hearing about Maguire at youth cup level and hoping he'd come good as I do with all English youngsters, maybe he has just blossomed quite late with regards to how good he can actually be.

Edited by Erinjack

Guest Col city fan

I think (and I hope) that Mr Maguire has his head well and truly screwed on.

I think he’ll probably know it’ll be wiser to develop with us, at least one more season, before his ‘big move’.

We need to give him the captaincy and a big pay rise and make him a central figure at the club.

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think he’ll probably know it’ll be wiser to develop with us, at least one more season, before his ‘big move’.

We need to give him the captaincy and a big pay rise and make him a central figure at the club.

The fact he turned down bigger clubs to come here to make sure he got game time rather than sit on the bench, suggests he probably has. 

42 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

And erect a statue and name a pie after him. The Slab. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

So for me we should be targeting 28-31 year old players and we will get the maximum good years out of them depending on when they start declining.

I have long thought something sort of similar. The timing for this might be poor, as our manager's strength is developing young talent. But I absolutely agree that we should be filling out the side with veterans who have become superfluous to requirements. 

Certain positions, however, we prob always want youth. Wingbacks for instance. Maybe DMs. But we could put together an outstanding side doing what you suggest