Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

9 minutes ago, crisp packet said:

Why why why ? Would we sell ? 

4 years left ? Sell him ,we’ll be back in championship quicker than you can say Utd!! 

Sorry Harry your here for another year at least...

We sell when it is financially impossible not to sell. 

What sort of thing is Maguire supposed to say? "I'm Leicester 'til I die"?  I have no issue with our players being ambitious, it doesn't mean they are looking to jump ship at the drop of a hat.

He has 4 years left on his contract. Our owners have never let more than one star player leave in a single transfer window.  Mahrez has gone and there is uncertainty around Schmeichel. No way does Maguire leave. He seems quite content here at the moment and should thrive with a new system and formation.

I wouldn't be surprised if his agent pushes for improved contract here with the insertion of a 60m release clause.

Maguire will still be a Leicester player next May.

6 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Why do we have to accept realistic release clauses?  Ones on the continent are eye watering. If he wants more dosh fine, £100 million release clause. 

We don't have to and I can see the argument that we shouldn't.  I have a feeling though that our owners are a little fairer to the player than they could be. We could insert a 200m release clause but that would be pointless.  Somewhere in the 60-90 region is more realistic and would achieve a great return on investment. 

Of course, we don't have to offer a new contract if we were really hard.  We could say that he's here for the duration on what he signed up on and that's it.  End of negotiation. 

5 minutes ago, nnfox said:

We don't have to and I can see the argument that we shouldn't.  I have a feeling though that our owners are a little fairer to the player than they could be. We could insert a 200m release clause but that would be pointless.  Somewhere in the 60-90 region is more realistic and would achieve a great return on investment. 

Of course, we don't have to offer a new contract if we were really hard.  We could say that he's here for the duration on what he signed up on and that's it.  End of negotiation. 

Yes we could. I feel, however, that being ‘fair’ in these contract negotiations is actually hampering us going forward. 

I think a new contract to reflect his new his new status is wise, but we must be firm on the release clause. Otherwise, as you say, stay and play on what you signed up for. At least a release clause sends out a message that THIS is the price. 

6/4 to join United but I've not read anything concrete to support this..Of course he is ambitious and this article  could be taken as a warning shot that he might move on if things stagnate which is understandable.I would be very surprised if he pushed for a move this Summer and if he did I'm sure the club would resist as we have already sold Mahrez and it would give out all the wrong signals to sell another star player.If a new contract is negotiated would you really want a release clause given the current rate of transfer inflation?

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

Man Utd would be a fantastic club for Harry to join, but if we do go on to sell Riyad and Maguire in the same window, we might as well give up. Any hope of achievement on the field of play goes out the window.

I don’t think we will

18 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Yes we could. I feel, however, that being ‘fair’ in these contract negotiations is actually hampering us going forward. 

I think a new contract to reflect his new his new status is wise, but we must be firm on the release clause. Otherwise, as you say, stay and play on what you signed up for. At least a release clause sends out a message that THIS is the price. 

The problem with a release clause is that it doesn't take transfer fee inflation into account.

This season's £100 million could be next season's £50 million.

Edited by Buce

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Man Utd would be a fantastic club for Harry to join, but if we do go on to sell Riyad and Maguire in the same window, we might as well give up. Any hope of achievement on the field of play goes out the window.

I don’t think we will

There aren’t many Man Utd players that you could say are thriving under Mourinho at the moment so I’m not sure how fantastic a move it would be in reality. 

10 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

There aren’t many Man Utd players that you could say are thriving under Mourinho at the moment so I’m not sure how fantastic a move it would be in reality. 

I agree with that in part but you have to have a certain amount of belief to get to where Maguire is now. If it's the normal paper talk, it's even more annoying as someone like HM must look at the current Man Utd team and realise he could establish himself as a certain starter (and future captain) at one of the Worlds biggest clubs. It does seem more likely that it's more about an increased contract to me though.

I'm inclined to go along with quite a few others on here and don't think we will sell him at this point anyway. 

As always though, you can never say never.

Edited by Max Wall

Guest Col city fan
16 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

No, I don’t think Mourinho is the right man for the job personally. But playing for Utd must be incredible. 

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

The problem with a release clause is that it doesn't take transfer fee inflation into account.

This season's £100 million could be next season's £50 million.

Yes it is a problem, but it offers a certain amount of protection for the club and player in reality. Prices haven’t gone down recently. 

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Yes it is a problem, but it offers a certain amount of protection for the club and player in reality. Prices haven’t gone down recently. 

Yes, on the contrary, they have inflated.

Maybe I didn't word it very well, but what I mean is that we could set a buy out clause at £100 million, only to find that next season that's the going rate for second-rate centre-backs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yes, on the contrary, they have inflated.

Maybe I didn't word it very well, but what I mean is that we could set a buy out clause at £100 million, only to find that next season that's the going rate for second-rate centre-backs.

Well better that than £60 million as some have suggested. Seems to work for continental teams. Just think we should be more proactive in protecting our assets. Sets a benchmark but can be dangerous if too low, as in the Kante case - but who could have known?

I don't get the obsession on here with wanting to give all our players buyout clauses when they don't already have one. All that does is to open us up to being screwed over on deadline day, with no option of saying no, and no ability to find a replacement. Makes zero sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Well better that than £60 million as some have suggested. Seems to work for continental teams. Just think we should be more proactive in protecting our assets. Sets a benchmark but can be dangerous if too low, as in the Kante case - but who could have known?

Why do we even need to set a benchmark? No buyout clause at all (ie £ infinity) is far more protective of our assets than any stated amount like £ 100m. We choose what we want to sell for, and when.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

We sell when it is financially impossible not to sell. 

I don't think any recent sales have been due to financial requirements at all. Mahrez and Drinkwater had opportunities to go to big clubs and forced their way out. We got a good price for Drinky too, it wasn't because we needed the money. 

It's a fine balance.

We want the best players to come here, of course.  But part of our appeal to up and coming stars is that they can come here, develop, achieve international recognition and then be allowed to move on if the price is right.

That must be a factor in players' minds when faced with chosing between us, Everton and West Ham for example.

If we are seen as a good club to come and develop then eventually, if we are patient, enough of the good players will stay here and enjoy sustainable success.  We're not quite there yet but we are heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

I literally think Jose is shit. He's lost the magic touch. He plays boring, uninspiring football and his man management seems lacking. He's a whiny little bitch too. Don't know what anyone would want to go to United under him because it's clear to me they are a LONG LONG way from being close to winning the title.