Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

so many stories  , most indicating hes going BUT i doubt the owners would allow another of our top players to leave , especially so close to the transfer deadline.Id welcome a statement from either the owners or Harry putting the rumours to bed. Even if he handed in a transfer request upon return from holiday i doubt it would b accepted

Edited by dpjfox

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I cant imagine the owners are thrilled with only getting 60 for Mehrez

Maggy and Man U will both know that this deal will only happen to LCFC's satisfaction

Not going for less than Van D

He offers more than Van D. He’s better on the ball. Better passer, more dangerous from set plays and he’s English.  Could marshal the defence of any top team for 7 or 8 years. 

• Like 1

If he goes it should be completely on our terms. Clubs can't make a hostile new approach for a player this late in the window and not expect to pay through the nose.

£80m asking price as long as we have a replacement lined up that we're really happy with.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerard said:

If he goes it should be completely on our terms. Clubs can't make a hostile new approach for a player this late in the window and not expect to pay through the nose.

£80m asking price as long as we have a replacement lined up that we're really happy with.

It needs to be a massive wedge - a world shaking wedge for a defender. 

I would take Smalling as part of the deal. Think the lad has a lot to prove and just like a lot of Pearson's recruitment, Smalling might well prove it with us.  

The problem is that we can't attract the quality we need to make the next level. We have the cash but can't spend it. Fulham and wolves can buy or loan proven quality we have to take risks.

No one who is proven top 7 quality will come to Leicester that's what the last few seasons have proved. 

We need to realign our expectations but we can always hope some of these signings come good unfortunately we're finding this hard and have a few average players that we can't shift mainly because we had to overpay them to come here in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

dont get me wrong £65mil is alot and hes worth it, but would HM really want to play under someone like Jose?? the way hes treated some of the young english players at clubs hes been at is ridiculous, and if he had a couple of bad games hed get throw to the lions so to speak by Jose,

in all honesty think if he was to move it would have to be to a better club than Man Utd(under Jose) and one that more suits his style of play(Man City, Liverpool)

tbh tho i wouldnt want him to go and dont think he will

Think you're spot on. Man Utd, once a club you'd never turn down, won't be a great Man Utd again until their depressive manager goes. They have loads of talent but don't use them. Young players like Harry need inspirational coaches like Klopp and Guadiola. Ultimately, he's broken into the England squad and done fine with us. I don't think another couple of years here with a pay rise and the captaincy would do him any harm at all unless he's unable to keep his level of performance going.

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The problem is that we can't attract the quality we need to make the next level. We have the cash but can't spend it. Fulham and wolves can buy or loan proven quality we have to take risks.

No one who is proven top 7 quality will come to Leicester that's what the last few seasons have proved. 

We need to realign our expectations but we can always hope some of these signings come good unfortunately we're finding this hard and have a few average players that we can't shift mainly because we had to overpay them to come here in the first place.

If your scouting is excellent then the more times you enter and exit the transfer market the better. If you buy really well you don't have to worry about your expenditure in the transfer market as the opportunities to make a profit will keep presenting themselves to you.

I'd be more than happy being that club who buys the best young talent in the world that don't find themselves at an elite club. Keep doing that an doing it will be a good environment for talented young players to come, we can make a profit and at some point the plan would be to keep a group of players together and kick on.

I'm also an advocate of selling players at their peak value, it only works though if your scouting team are proactive and have a new player they've been eyeing up for this eventuality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

If your scouting is excellent then the more times you enter and exit the transfer market the better. If you buy really well you don't have to worry about your expenditure in the transfer market as the opportunities to make a profit will keep presenting themselves to you.

I'd be more than happy being that club who buys the best young talent in the world that don't find themselves at an elite club. Keep doing that an doing it will be a good environment for talented young players to come, we can make a profit and at some point the plan would be to keep a group of players together and kick on.

I'm also an advocate of selling players at their peak value, it only works though if your scouting team are proactive and have a new player they've been eyeing up for this eventuality.

Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid come to mind  always losing top players and finding class replacements.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We are in no way comparable to Dortmund and atletico Madrid.

It's clubs we can realistically aspire to be like. 

They're not quite top shelf but there aren't many players who wouldn't consider joining them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It's clubs we can realistically aspire to be like. 

They're not quite top shelf but there aren't many players who wouldn't consider joining them.

They play in Europe every season & usually get pretty far into those competitions. The best we can do is 7th consistently, and even thats going to be very difficult. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FIF said:

So do those in it.

Couthino, Suarez etc...

FTers are mostly morons though.

personally I'm a little worried with the Evans signing. He isn't what FTers think he is. Promoting one of the youngsters would have been better no matter what I read here. Young,fast and skilled. They'll make a few errors but then every defender does.

You cant have the notion that someone should have been promoted just because they are young.  Yes every young defender can grow and learn and will make mistakes, but they have to be of sufficient calibre to not be a liability... I find it mildly amusing that you seem to have a better understanding of how good our young players are, more so than the coaches how watch them train and play week in week out...

Edited by MPH

On 23/07/2018 at 08:58, Fox1norfolk said:

The problem is that we are now perceived as a 'selling' club. After Kante, Drinkwater, Marez and nearly Vardy, possibly Maguire the big boys know they can cherry pick our best talent. We however, would never consider approaching one of the big six clubs for one of their stars even if we could afford it. What it clearly demonstrates we are OK as we are ticking over mid-table making a profit, but with no real ambition to go for the title. 

We've always been a selling club. Whats changed is we now have players that the big boys want. 

I love how somehow people think it's plausible to include existing players in this unlikely deal. Smalling or Jones etc. Whilst they are likely to ship these players at some point, they are United players. How many United players do you know of have been part of a money & player transfer? It would diminish any credibility they have, and certainly a huge step down in relative terms to play with a team that is not currently in Europe, but has 'aspirations'.

I mentioned well before that Maguire was going to be a hot property ages ago, and that after we signed him that we got a bargain. The marketplace for CBs was beginning ramp up and it was clear that the big six would be inevitably getting involved throwing the market into further fee insanity.

Manchester United have been struggling for consistency in their defence for at least 3/4 years, somehow when they've tried address it, it's not worked out. It was clear that Maguire's attributes would attract them and others to the poaching table, especially after a solid WC.

I said long before that it would take some seriously eye-watering bid to pry him away, even if he says he wants to go.  We are in the driving seat for this one.

I personally believe that he won't go, and he'll sign a new contract (with caveats to future interest from the big boys). He'll have another solid season and take it from there.

Mourinho is playing his pre-game/pre-season nonsense. Bleating poor mouth, and unpreparedness for the season due to the WC. As if this was some sort of surprise, he's getting the excuses in early and the benefit of potentially destabilising the opposition, he's not going to quash the media-led rumour mill.

Edited by sphericalfox
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gerard said:

i don't disagree with this per se, but its a question of balance. Southampton have spent many years doing exactly this but maybe recently got a little to confident in their ability to continuously execute this strategy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

As ive said before been told he will stay regardlesd of whether he wants to go or nor.

You previously mentioned he wouldn't be leaving unless we were offered silly money. I hope the media reported £65m is not classed as silly money?

I don't believe any of this hype that Maguire expects to leave or that there is any sort of figure quoted by LCFC

However it is very unhealthy and it could disturb the players concentration and the club in general as with the Mahrez saga

Hopefully the management and owners will clear this up but the sooner the better.Harry seems a decent professional and I think will be happy to negotiate a deal to stay for the moment 

Just now, Edingleyfox said:

I don't believe any of this hype that Maguire expects to leave or that there is any sort of figure quoted by LCFC

However it is very unhealthy and it could disturb the players concentration and the club in general as with the Mahrez saga

Hopefully the management and owners will clear this up but the sooner the better.Harry seems a decent professional and I think will be happy to negotiate a deal to stay for the moment 

Yep I'm sure the club will offer him a new deal on improved terms with a verbal assurance he can leave next summer if a suitable offer comes in from him.

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

You previously mentioned he wouldn't be leaving unless we were offered silly money. I hope the media reported £65m is not classed as silly money?

You'd imagine considering he is on par with VVD, silly money would equate to £80m plus

There's two causes of this. Let's firstly say its two weeks before the season starts and Maguire has spent most of his time post World Cup in Ibiza. 

1) It's Maguire's agent playing the game for a new contract with improved terms but the contract length means they have little power on this. 

2) Given that the journos are mostly Manchester based, it's Manchester United releasing a story for two reasons. To appease fans complaining at a lack of transfer action (interesting they target a player at anon top six club). Or that there is a genuine interest there, releasing such news is bait for Maguire to do a Mahrez esque strike or rock the boat enough to return in twelve months time. 

Ultimately City ain't selling. It's these silly ****ing games again that the big clubs like to play. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Fair point - my understanding is that he's not pushing for a move as much as is being made out however.

Thing is from the clubs perspective they can't afford to go into the new season having lost their two best players with no financial need to sell and a manager who is yet to convince many. There needs to be a contingency plan if we start badly and they can't do that by selling Maguire as well - they need to be attracting better players.

My guess is he'll sign a new contract.

Amen to that. If he goes, we'll play in the Championship after this season.