Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Yes I think it does but I thought that was only one way as in they can buy from us but we can't buy from them.

I meant that it's easier to buy from abroad in the next two weeks than it is from this country, as teams here only have two weeks to get a replacement, where are the foreign clubs have much more time to get theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

I hope we do sell Maguire.

The thing is, even with Maguire in the team (and even if we sign DeBruyne, M'bappe, Iniesta, Messi and Salah)  - as long as Claude Puel is in charge we will still be as dull as ditchwater, and win nothing.

So sell Harry and put aside the fee (+ the Mahrez money + any monies from Ndidi, Schmiechel and Vardy), wait for the inevitable parting-of-the-ways, appoint a proper manager and give him a quarter of a billion transfer fund to kickstart the drive for Premier League dominance.

Seemples!

Ah well, now at least I have realised who it is that makes policy decisions for the NHS...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Still does not change my opinion. Sell and we are creating our own destiny.

True, I wasn't suggesting it wouldn't be problem in fact the complete opposite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Ah well, now at least I have realised who it is that makes policy decisions for the NHS...

Love how he's judged by the fact he won't win anything as well... ignoring the fact we've only won a handful of top level competitions in our entire history.

20 minutes ago, Gerard said:

If we sell completely on our terms then it's great business. If we have a replacement we're happy to have rather than a panic buy and if we can get the right fee from Man Utd.

I don't think Maguire's stock will ever be higher than it is now and we're talking world record transfer fee territory for a defender. He looks good coming out with the ball but I always think it's an overrated attribute for a centre half. He looked a beast in the air for England but a lot of that was peeling off the far post and up against smaller markers. For Leicester we still had problems from corners with Maguire in the side. He's a good player no doubt but he's not a brilliant defender.

He would be much more replaceable than Mahrez, as I said I'm happy to do business if we feel the deal is good for us unlike the Mahrez deal when our hand was forced.

Totally agree... however, the club haven’t left me confident they could find an adequate replacement, especially after the Mahrez saga.

It also wouldn’t set a great precedent and I could imagine Vardy would be a bit pissed off that we aren’t matching his ambitions.

7 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Genuinely fear relegation scrap if we sell him this late on with no time to replace him! Please don’t sell! 

Maguire will not be the difference between relegation and finishing 10th. Our squad overall is better than a dozen clubs in this league.

• Like 1

Just now, Koke said:

Maguire will not be the difference between relegation and finishing 10th. Our squad overall is better than a dozen clubs in this league.

You confident with the 3 centre backs who would be left to get us through to January?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

You confident with the 3 centre backs who would be left to get us through to January?

We quite clearly wouldn't sell him unless we had a replacement lined up and we won't be leaving it until one minute before deadline either after last time.

I can not believe there are Leicester fans who would consider selling Harry. His stock would never be higher? So what.. our chances of having the cornerstone of England’s starting 11 will never be higher either..our chances of building a solid foundation for our team will never be higher.  Finally we can be a Threat from set-peices but yeah  let’s just sell him because his stock will never be higher..

1 minute ago, MPH said:

I can not believe there are Leicester fans who would consider selling Harry. His stock would never be higher? So what.. our chances of having the cornerstone of England’s starting 11 will never be higher either..our chances of building a solid foundation for our team will never be higher.  Finally we can be a Threat from set-peices but yeah  let’s just sell him because his stock will never be higher..

The reality is we're not in a position to keep £60m+ players happy for too long. 

If we feel his value has peaked then it's good business to sell and buy the next player in. We have an £80m training ground and a 10,000 extension in progress, developing our infrastructure as a club is the next leap forward for us if we're going to at least hold onto our current status of one of the best of the rest outside the top six.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

The reality is we're not in a position to keep £60m+ players happy for too long. 

If we feel his value has peaked then it's good business to sell and buy the next player in. We have an £80m training ground and a 10,000 extension in progress, developing our infrastructure as a club is the next leap forward for us if we're going to at least hold onto our current status of one of the best of the rest outside the top six.

I think he is young enough and sensible enough to still give 100% even if he stays another year. He doesn’t some across as a sulky Mahrez.

no point developing your infrastructure if you keep selling your best players though is it?

True but those developements will take a rain check if we can’t maintain our Premier league status. If we can sell and we have a viable strategy to replace or promote from within, to maintain progress in the league (ie betterment year on year) then so be it. But is that plan in place?

Maguire's value hasn't peaked. It's only just started. He has managed to get a call up and establish himself as a bedrock in the England 1st Team. Sure he might be rotated as and when, but he's going nowhere Internationally. He will continue to get a call up despite playing for Leicester City (:ph34r:).

There will be plenty of international football coming where he will show his worth.

This season regardless of how we perform his stock will not diminish. Unless he has a catastrophic injury or turns into a bumbling accidental o/g machine, next summer we'll be able to ask for a considerable sum for his transfer if we decide we have a replacement. I guarantee the interest will be there in the market, maybe even more so than right now.

Edited by sphericalfox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think he is young enough and sensible enough to still give 100% even if he stays another year. He doesn’t some across as a sulky Mahrez.

no point developing your infrastructure if you keep selling your best players though is it?

2 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

True but those developements will take a rain check if we can’t maintain our Premier league status. If we can sell and we have a viable strategy to replace or promote from within, to maintain progress in the league (ie betterment year on year) then so be it. But is that plan in place?

Maguire isn't the difference between relegation and survival. 

Our long term future will be more influenced by our infrastructure, an £80 new training ground and a 10,000 extension on the ground is a big leap forward and puts some distance between us and traditionally similar sized clubs.

For £65m+ I feel there are more positives than negatives. We won't keep players of that value happy for very long and I'm a great advocate of selling players at peak value for a club like ours especially if we have faith in our scouting team (big if I know). I'm happy to sell because it will be on our terms as Maguire has four years on his contract left.

8 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Maguire's value hasn't peaked. It's only just started. He has managed to get a call up and establish himself as a bedrock in the England 1st Team. Sure he might be rotated as and when, but he's going nowhere Internationally. He will continue to get a call up despite playing for Leicester City (:ph34r:).

There will be plenty of international football coming where he will show his worth.

This season regardless of how we perform his stock will not diminish. Unless he has a catastrophic injury or turns into a bumbling accidental o/g machine next summer we'll be able to ask for a considerable sum for his transfer if we decide we have a replacement. I guarantee the interest will be there in the market, maybe even more so than right now.

His price is being quoted near the world record for a defender, how can you say it's on an upward trajectory?

He's a good player no doubt but apart from his ability on the ball is he any better than Robert Huth in all other aspects?

Maguire isn't the difference between relegation and survival

Our long term future will be more influenced by our infrastructure, an £80 new training ground and a 10,000 extension on the ground is a big leap forward and puts some distance between us and traditionally similar sized clubs.

For £65m+ I feel there are more positives than negatives. We won't keep players of that value happy for very long and I'm a great advocate of selling players at peak value for a club like ours especially if we have faith in our scouting team (big if I know). I'm happy to sell because it will be on our terms as Maguire has four years on his contract left.

Pure guesswork there but at least it shows your mindset.

im concerned about staying mid table - I want to challenge for a euro spot at least.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

im concerned about staying mid table - I want to challenge for a euro spot at least.

What price would you sell Maguire for?

1 minute ago, MPH said:

It's a response to people who suggest selling him would suddenly turn us into relegation candidates. We conceded 3 less goals with him that we did the year before, suggesting he's the difference is over egging the pudding a little.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

His price is being quoted near the world record for a defender, how can you say it's on an upward trajectory?

He's a good player no doubt but apart from his ability on the ball is he any better than Robert Huth in all other aspects?

I don't necessarily think it's an upward trajectory, it'll also depend on the market (which isn't arguably is only going one way currently) but it'll certainly maintain it's current value. He's young, and will only get better defensively.

Edited by sphericalfox