Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

55 minutes ago, chadlcfc said:

I would hope the club already know who they would go for if Maguire was to go. If we could get £65 million+ I think we should sell. As said earlier in the chat, his stock will never be higher.

you would think they'd have a replacement for mahrez by now

Edited by Fightforever

3 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

I don't necessarily think it's an upward trajectory, it'll also depend on the market (which isn't arguably is only going one way currently) but it'll certainly maintain it's current value. He's young, and will only get better defensively.

Agreed and let's just consider, if we were to give him a payrise and the Captaincy, if he remains constant for the next about 12 to 18 months and adds leadership qualities to his skill sets,  my prediction would be that there would be an auction of English and Spanish clubs after his signature. United will no longer be the team they were whilst Mourhino is stil there. He has bundles of talent there at his disposal that are not allowed to express themselves. It would be the same for Harry. Whilst I wouldn't want him to go, would he at least not be better served under an inspirational manager like Klopp or Guadiola who would arguably make him even better? 

Be patient Harry, you're ambitions can be realised but beware of agents gagging to make money out of you whether it's in your best interests or not!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's a response to people who suggest selling him would suddenly turn us into relegation candidates. We conceded 3 less goals with him that we did the year before, suggesting he's the difference is over egging the pudding a little.

Come on, babs. You know an important player brings more to a team that what a statistic will say....

33 minutes ago, Gerard said:

What price would you sell Maguire for?

I wouldn’t. He’s not unhappy, he hasn’t handed in a transfer request and he’s pivotal to this next season. It’s mindboggling to me someone would even consider it once a few pounds notes are being shown our way.... 

Just now, MPH said:

Come on, babs. You know an important player brings more to a team that what a statistic will say....

I know, but I just don't think it would mean relegation if we did cash in. We've already improved the person next to him (I bloody hope). So even if they were a small step don't, the overall impact would be negated by having a better partner anyway.

I'll state again, I don't want us to for other reasons. I just don't think it would make THAT much difference. Christ, everyone seems to have us down for relegation anyway after the game the other day.

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

You confident with the 3 centre backs who would be left to get us through to January?

I kid you not. There will be some who would see it as the chance to get Big Dan Amartey into a back three. And then realise they might have been wrong as we drift down the table. 

A back three of Evans, Wes and Amartey....

:ermm:

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

I wouldn’t. He’s not unhappy, he hasn’t handed in a transfer request and he’s pivotal to this next season. It’s mindboggling to me someone would even consider it once a few pounds notes are being shown our way.... 

If you wouldn't sell Maguire for any price then it's pointless having this conversation. If a footballer isn't worth selling at any price then you have no concept of value.

As for "pivotal" for next season he might be the difference between finishing 8th or 9th, for world record transfer fee for a defender territory we could easily become stronger long term by selling him. He's a centre half who was in the team that was 16th in goals conceded last year

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I know, but I just don't think it would mean relegation if we did cash in. We've already improved the person next to him (I bloody hope). So even if they were a small step don't, the overall impact would be negated by having a better partner anyway.

I'll state again, I don't want us to for other reasons. I just don't think it would make THAT much difference. Christ, everyone seems to have us down for relegation anyway after the game the other day.

For me it’s not about instant relegation but the difference between fighting for that Euro spot and mid table mediocrity. If we want to have any real chance, selling Mahrez AND Maguire in the same off season would be catastrophic...

Guest Col city fan
17 minutes ago, MPH said:

For me it’s not about instant relegation but the difference between fighting for that Euro spot and mid table mediocrity. If we want to have any real chance, selling Mahrez AND Maguire in the same off season would be catastrophic...

I say again, whatever the price we asked, if we sell Harry it reinforces us as a SELLING club.

We don’t need to sell him. Financially there is no need to offload Maguire. If the player is unhappy and really wants to go, that’s different. But there’s no indication of this is there?

Just slap a not for sale sign on him and prepare for the forthcoming season.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I say again, whatever the price we asked, if we sell Harry it reinforces us as a SELLING club.

We don’t need to sell him. Financially there is no need to offload Maguire. If the player is unhappy and really wants to go, that’s different. But there’s no indication of this is there?

Just slap a not for sale sign on him and prepare for the forthcoming season.

We are a selling club, irrespective of how much we want to deny this. Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez prove this. Kante left us when we were in CL and Chelsea were mid table fodder. 

If Maguire doesn't go this window he will go the next one. We are no differebt to Southampton and Everton. The best we can do is try and get the maximum fee and move on. 

For the record, I don't want. Maguire to be sold nor do I think be will.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, Koke said:

We are a selling club, irrespective of how much we want to deny this. Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez prove this. Kante left us when we were in CL and Chelsea were mid table fodder. 

If Maguire doesn't go this window he will go the next one. We are no differebt to Southampton and Everton. The best we can do is try and get the maximum fee and move on. 

I thought what we did with Mahrez (for ages) was made it clear we WERENT gonna be pushed around by the big guns?

Now we ARE a selling club again?

I’m confused...

:dunno:

I hope Harry stays, but 65 mill would represent good business as long as it was invested wisely.

Also, if (and there is nothing to say that this is the case) Maguires head has been turned by United and he wants to go, then sell him for a whopping fee once a replacement has been lined up as I for one, cannot be arsed with another long winded transfer saga.

In terms of replacements, it would be great if we got a player plus cash offer from Utd, but I can't think of any player who we would want from Utd, that would be willing to come.

Otherwise splash the cash on ideally 2 of Gibson, Mawson, Lascelles, Tah and the excess on Nacer Chadli.

Jobs a goodun.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I thought what we did with Mahrez (for ages) was made it clear we WERENT gonna be pushed around by the big guns?

Now we ARE a selling club again?

I’m confused...

:dunno:

he ultimately went for 60 million, we only delayed getting our pants pulled down, we may as well have stopped and took the bumming. I wish I could tell you that Leicester fought the good fight, and the Sisters let him be. I wish I could tell you that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I kid you not. There will be some who would see it as the chance to get Big Dan Amartey into a back three. And then realise they might have been wrong as we drift down the table. 

A back three of Evans, Wes and Amartey....

:ermm:

No...please no, we're not going 3 at the back....lol

3 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

he ultimately went for 60 million, we only delayed getting our pants pulled down, we may as well have stopped and took the bumming. I wish I could tell you that Leicester fought the good fight, and the Sisters let him be. I wish I could tell you that.

Yeah, but we gave ourselves ample time to get some practise with smaller items before getting absolutely rammed by a big one, time to stock up on good lube etc...

If we'd let our pants come down at the end of the January window it would have been carnage down there

42 minutes ago, MPH said:

The only reason people are mentioning it, is because some are saying it means "relegation" to get rid, it's not in my thoughts and my aim is higher as well. To make it clear

7 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell John Rudkin ever got the best of him.

• Like 1

We'll be playing a much different game this season and that would've been the same who ever was the manager because of Mahrez going that trying to guess how we'll do is impossible. 

I don't see us getting a direct replacement for Mahrez rather that his missing skills will be spread across a number of players, this could be positive if it works as we'll be less predictable but we could end up going nowhere.

This is a crucial season a crossroads if you like so whether we keep Maguire or not it'll be vastly different to anything we've been used to these last few years.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell John Rudkin ever got the best of him.

:thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The only reason people are mentioning it, is because some are saying it means "relegation" to get rid, it's not in my thoughts and my aim is higher as well. To make it clear

People need remember that when we sell Maguire, it's going to be on our terms.

21 minutes ago, Koke said:

Yes, you are right, we are a selling club. This is true, but not to the degree you've highlighted. We've had to do some things on based on circumstance, be it contractual with N'golo, advantageous with Drinky (why turn that money down, and the player wanted to leave) and ultimately Mahrez wanted to leave for Europe. We are going to be a stepping stone for some players. We need to accept this, but we are not doing what Southampton have done which was lose a number of key players all in one season on a consistent basis.

Our owners have learned a lesson or two, and are doing well to avoid repeating past mistakes. We are right to stick to our guns as it gives an impression we are a selling club, as the media are keen to want to suggest, without context. If selling Maguire next season works with our recruitment strategy then our owners won't be swayed until then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

If you wouldn't sell Maguire for any price then it's pointless having this conversation. If a footballer isn't worth selling at any price then you have no concept of value.

As for "pivotal" for next season he might be the difference between finishing 8th or 9th, for world record transfer fee for a defender territory we could easily become stronger long term by selling him. He's a centre half who was in the team that was 16th in goals conceded last year

Also pivotal in a relegated Hull defence the season before.Lets push it to 70million then move on.