Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maguire

On 15/08/2018 at 22:14, Leeds Fox said:

Smalling has been there years and isn’t in high demand, his wages reflect that.

Shaw was bought when he was very young, his wages will have been modest in comparison to most of the Man Utd squad but huge for a 19/20 year old when he signed his first contract there. He hasn’t done anything to earn a big pay rise. 

Poor comparisons. 

They are the wages of players at top clubs, we aren't a top club yet we are matching the wages of some defensive players at top clubs. You forget that Shaw was in high demand when he signed. Smalling signed his new contract with United as their best centre half and England International.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

They are the wages of players at top clubs, we aren't a top club yet we are matching the wages of some defensive players at top clubs. You forget that Shaw was in high demand when he signed. Smalling signed his new contract with United as their best centre half and England International.

Quite right. We do need to match wages of the top clubs to keep our best players.

You were saying Maguire shouldn’t be on those wages after a good season. However a £35k payrise (could be wrong there) costs Leicester under £2m a year. Trying to find another quality centre half is going to cost us a lot more and that player could easily turn out to be less than adequate. To get the proven players we’ll have to pay a large sum and they chances are they’ll be demanding a hefty wage too. Possibly equal to that of Maguires new deal. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

9 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Quite right. We do need to match wages of the top clubs to keep our best players.

You were saying Maguire shouldn’t be on those wages after a good season. However a £35k payrise (could be wrong there) costs Leicester under £2m a year. Trying to find another quality centre half is going to cost us a lot more and that player could easily turn out to be less than adequate. To get the proven players we’ll have to pay a large sum and they chances are they’ll be demanding a hefty wage too. Possibly equal to that of Maguires new deal. 

I said he shouldn't be on Vardy wages, which is what someone suggested. 75k is a more than decent wage in this league still.

A new deal was the next step and I think the pay rise is suitable, especially considering he will likely push for a move next season, no matter what we pay him now. We were completely in our rights to keep him on his current contract, but this I understand has a way of keeping a player happy and feeling valued etc. 

If he does have another decent season, then I can definitely see him going next summer though, hence why we probably haven't offered him Vardy type salary, as what's the point of overpaying for a year if he is still likely to move on. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I said he shouldn't be on Vardy wages, which is what someone suggested. 75k is a more than decent wage in this league still.

Of course it is. If £75k keeps him here then it’s enough and probably about right.

9 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Of course it is. If £75k keeps him here then it’s enough and probably about right.

We should be asking is it enough?

If you VVD at Liverpool is he on more than 75K a week - the value we put on HM is the same as VVD hence the comparison.

My view is that I would probably make it as difficult as possible for him to be dragged away from us IF we believe he is the future and our Captain for the next 5-6 years. A kingpin we build our defence around who will lead us to Top 6 consistently....it may seem a little ambitious but the owners want that and so do we as fans....

Hence for me he would be offered a 5 year deal on £100k a week with a release clause of £90m....yes, I know that means we could get more but also it marks the price we will let him go for in the future should anyone want to buy him they start at that point - saves the distraction and if we were really ambitious we could set it at £120m and make it clear he is the future......

6 hours ago, Old Fox said:

We should be asking is it enough?

If you VVD at Liverpool is he on more than 75K a week - the value we put on HM is the same as VVD hence the comparison.

My view is that I would probably make it as difficult as possible for him to be dragged away from us IF we believe he is the future and our Captain for the next 5-6 years. A kingpin we build our defence around who will lead us to Top 6 consistently....it may seem a little ambitious but the owners want that and so do we as fans....

Hence for me he would be offered a 5 year deal on £100k a week with a release clause of £90m....yes, I know that means we could get more but also it marks the price we will let him go for in the future should anyone want to buy him they start at that point - saves the distraction and if we were really ambitious we could set it at £120m and make it clear he is the future......

He Won’t sign that ........ max clause he would sign up to around 65m I reckon. Club won’t  be happy with that. maybe this is where we have arrived re the 75k chatter .......

vvd rumoured to be on 180k at lpool ...........

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

He Won’t sign that ........ max clause he would sign up to around 65m I reckon. Club won’t  be happy with that. maybe this is where we have arrived re the 75k chatter .......

vvd rumoured to be on 180k at lpool ...........

180k ?

what a time to be a football player. 75 grand a week is plenty for the lad. Christ. 

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Remember 35k is going to the exchequer ......... it’s  very tough to hide your taxable earnings these days ........

Man I feel so sorry for him. Kicking a football for a living, earning about 40k a week for the privilege.

• Like 1

I imagine Man U would’ve offered him 150+ mind you, so you can feel for the lad a bit. Regardless of what you think to keep your head down and not make a single murmur about being blocked from doubling our wages always impresses me. 

22 hours ago, treer said:

no way does he pay 35k out of 75 in tax, that kind of percentage is only for working class people

things have changed ....... most of those avoidance schemes have been shut down and the ones that remain are always challenged by HMRC. High profile footballers with publicised salary’s - not tough for the taxman to work out what they should be expecting .......

15 hours ago, ronnup said:

I imagine Man U would’ve offered him 150+ mind you, so you can feel for the lad a bit. Regardless of what you think to keep your head down and not make a single murmur about being blocked from doubling our wages always impresses me. 

I don’t feel for him at all. If Utd really wanted him and actually put in an official bid for him then they may of got him and Maggy would of been on that kind of wage. I have more respect for the guy now because of the fact he didn’t push for a move away and for more money. He was guaranteed a pay rise with us after the World Cup anyway, as long as he renews his contract of course.

On 18/08/2018 at 08:10, ronnup said:

He wasn`t "blocked" from anything Ron, he was never remotely interested in leaving LCFC !

25 minutes ago, mad biker said:

He wasn`t "blocked" from anything Ron, he was never remotely interested in leaving LCFC !

When mad biker speaks, listen. ;)