Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel interview with Glenn Hoddle

In the printed edition of the mail on Sunday there is a footnote to the article entitled "Wily foxes have done well to get their man" which includes such gems as "The Frenchman has improved the foxes in every area since arriving"

Priceless

Ok having calmed down from yesterday and actually thought about our prospects next year, I'm willing to give him a full year and see where we get to. Burnley's biggest asset is consistency and a style/ identity. We've had neither this year at all and still on track to finish in the top ten. It's progress in our grand scheme, the league winning year obviously exempt. 

Give him a transfer window and a pre-season and we can push for a European place next year. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

This is exactly what we need... Puel to build a team and given time to do it. He's inherited a squad that's used to hoofing and still trying to change our style even though we're still starting the likes of Morgan. It's tough.

He needs time. If we keep on sacking managers eventually we'll go down.

This is what I don't understand. I am patient and can see that Puel is trying to build something here, but why is he still starting players like Wes and Simpson, who definitely do not fit into this new style? That is where I have concerns on what he is doing here. 

If he has a clear vision of how he wants us to play, then why is he blurring it with continuing to start players who can't play that way! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

And therein lies the problem.

People have made up their minds. 

I'm sure people made up their minds before he even got here just because Southampton didn't like him.  

Who cares what Southampton think?  We need to be a bit more open minded and patient.

Pretty much. Even if we won every game until the end of the season and somehow got into Europe we'll have people like  "Ye but he doesnt make me laugh enough during press conferences"

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

And therein lies the problem.

People have made up their minds. 

I'm sure people made up their minds before he even got here just because Southampton didn't like him.  

Who cares what Southampton think?  We need to be a bit more open minded and patient.

I didn’t mention Southampton, I didn’t really know much about him until he came here, personally I’ve made up my mind since his arrival, I’m not saying get rid of him just that he seems dull, and I already know Hoddle is! ??

2 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Pretty much. Even if we won every game until the end of the season and somehow got into Europe we'll have people like  "Ye but he doesnt make me laugh enough during press conferences"

It’s about being engaging, charismatic, or at least interesting, I don’t want to be amused during press conferences but I want to be able to listen and be mildly interested.

• Like 2

I'm not buying into this "well, he keeps starting Morgan" argument as to why his position should come under some consideration.

It's either Morgan or Dragovic.  Equally, it's either Simpson or Amartey.

It's not as though he has players queuing up to play these two positions.  He's even played Albrighton at RB.  Square pegs, round holes and all that.

The squad defensively is a shambles, none of which is his fault.  He's making do with what he's got. 

If he's starting Morgan next season, as captain, regularly, then feel free to slate him.  lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Seriously Matt, why do you read what Puel says? You clearly won't agree with him or change your mind about him.

Tbh I very rarely do or listen to him. I can't.

If someone posts quote from him about starting with a better tempo, as I quoted yesterday then obviously i'll read it, I wouldn't go out my way though.

I mentioned it the other day I feel quite disillusioned and very disengaged with the club at the moment because other than having an opinion on what i'm watching (Which as i'm sure people know, isn't good) i'm not really that interested in what's being said which is unfortunate.

I replied to this thread purely because the they must be they must be up there with two most boring people in football so I made a sarcy comment.

Edited by Matt

He seems like someone who would be good at orchestrating.

May appear unassuming but tries to adjust the team well to certain situations and tones of the game.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Hoddle was the superlative England creative midfielder player of his time. A superb passer of the ball, but ever criticised for not working hard enough. As England manager he was going somewhere but self-sabotaged by declaring his rather bizarre religious beliefs.

I don't get the "abysmal commentary" comment nor the "well up his arse" bit either. Seems a perfectly reasonable meeting and discussion between two old team-mates. And it gives the whole 'Puel stay, Puel go' discussion on this Forum a useful amount of objective information.

'We' haven't been "wank" - the team has been slow off the mark but, when they've woken up, have been threatening and scoring. The team aren't playing better now than when they did in 15-16 but there's been an influx of potentially good players. Kante and Drinkwater have been lost but Maguire, Diabate and N'Didi are young and bound to get better. Chilwell has emerged as a fine 'wing-back' and I think Gray and Iheanacho can and should improve.

Let's be frank here - the owners and senior managers haven't exactly been infallible in their choice of what manager to employ - certainly not in dismissing Pearson -  the first time I've witnessed the reversal of the biblical adage that the sins of the sons will be visited on their fathers.

Sure, everyone thought that Claudio was the best thing since sliced bread when City won the Premier but, although he was exactly the right personality to 'steady the ship' after Pearson was let down so badly and obliged to leave, the reality is that that team could have had gone on to win the title with the lightest of touches. Ranieri took the media pressure off them - made City lovable. But he had the same problem as Puel has - how to 'evolve' (it's the latest buzz word re City :rolleyes: ) the team into a more flexible unit.

I don't believe Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha is under pressure. The team have recovered from a difficult start to the season and ended up in a reasonable position. He doesn't need to panic -  he has no shareholder pressure on him and the fans should be extending a lot of good will to him for having facilitated the success we've achieved.

Are the fans going to start turning away from buying season tickets, just yet? If they do it will show a startling lack of patience, loyalty and maturity. Ever since MO'N left the club has been ineptly run and mediocre. And yet it's still not good enough for some.

Early days yet for Puel. I was reminded yesterday that O'Neill was the subject of much negative invective - so much so that he came out onto the pitch and appealed for more time. I suspect that to keep on changing managers won't produce what most of us want - it looks like we do have someone of worth in charge.

Thanks for that sums it up perfect Puel in ?

GLENN: It’s a big difference. You have a possession-based game. With Leicester now, possession is better and it’s a far better team. With another pre-season and you bed down it will grow even better.

CLAUDE: Some of the players only know one way of playing. For a lot of players it’s the first time they’ve started to play out from the back and to be available for their team-mates between the lines. A lot have improved, like Wes Morgan, Danny Simpson. And Harry Maguire. He is fantastic. Many of these are players who won the title. But to get them to accept this, we needed results. They had to keep the counter-attack but have a good alternative.

GLENN: Before Leicester were one-dimensional. Now you’re trying to play different ways and possession-based. Keep an eye on Leicester next season!

GLENN: When you look at Claude’s experience you know that Leicester or any club he’s going to manage is in really good hands. You can see the foundations being built.

GLENN: But there’s a formula that Claude has and it creates good foundations. Southampton made a big mistake and didn’t give him time. And Leicester will make a mistake if they don’t give him time. It’s a question for the owners. Do they understand that he has the right formula? More important than what he’s done is how he’s done it. This is what you’re doing at Leicester. What you would have done at Southampton. Let’s hope they give you the time. They’d be fools not to. This squad for me plays better football than the one who won the league

GLENN: And you deserved to win the League Cup final. But what you did at Southampton, you’re doing here, for the long term. At Southampton they cut you. They panicked. They didn’t realise what they had. But wherever he goes, he’ll do this job and given time, will have success. Not many English managers work like this.

CLAUDE: But I’m not naive. Owners and chairman are under pressure. It’s difficult to keep building and winning.

GLENN: And that’s what we miss out on in English football.

CLAUDE; Please don't sack me.

GLENN; Please don't sack my mate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

This is what I don't understand. I am patient and can see that Puel is trying to build something here, but why is he still starting players like Wes and Simpson, who definitely do not fit into this new style? That is where I have concerns on what he is doing here. 

If he has a clear vision of how he wants us to play, then why is he blurring it with continuing to start players who can't play that way! 

We have little option with Simpson as Amartey has been injured and to be fair to Simpson he has tried to do what Puel has asked of him.

Apparently Dragovic wanted to keep his options open this summer so we've played our own player and captain in Big Wes rather than someone playing for a move.

• Like 1

I'm definitely in the Puel In camp. If you look at his CV he has been successful wherever he has been and puts a lot of emphasis on young players and cares about value for money in the transfer market.

You only have to look at the January window, he no doubt could have spent £30m if he wanted to but only brought in a young promising player for buttons and tried to ship out a lot of deadwood like Slimani, Ulloa, King, etc which a lot of the fans wanted done for ages.

He has allowed the current squad ample time to prove they are good enough for his style of play and we'll see a few outgoings of the old guard this summer I'm sure. A bad manager never has enough money to spend or enough players to pick from. We brought in Iheanacho this summer as our 6th striker option which is just terrible squad management. I expect to see Puel try to get rid of everyone this summer who don't bring much to the table. 

I've seen enough to trust him to evolve our club and just wish the fans had more patience with him and endure some short term pain for long term gain.

• Like 3

Hoddle is an odd mix of religious zealotry and pseudo-intellectual football pundit. He rides on his image as a good technical player to appear more sophisticated but in fact he just isn't very bright. Pleat is much the same but without the religious element as his dalliance with ladies of the night went on to show us.

I fear Puel may be the same-posing as a football aesthete but actually not very good. I think he'll get more time but he's already lost the goodwill that was around in January.

A real football intellectual was MON-you can tell the difference by how articulate they are and the grammar they use.

The argument that we can't just keep sacking managers only applies if we get a good manager. Otherwise we should and will keep sacking them. 

1 minute ago, Mr Weller said:

Hoddle is an odd mix of religious zealotry and pseudo-intellectual football pundit. He rides on his image as a good technical player to appear more sophisticated but in fact he just isn't very bright. Pleat is much the same but without the religious element as his dalliance with ladies of the night went on to show us.

I fear Puel may be the same-posing as a football aesthete but actually not very good. I think he'll get more time but he's already lost the goodwill that was around in January.

A real football intellectual was MON-you can tell the difference by how articulate they are and the grammar they use.

The argument that we can't just keep sacking managers only applies if we get a good manager. Otherwise we should and will keep sacking them. 

And if Hoddle was talking about someone you liked, youd be saying he was spot on so get over yourself.

And there with have it, everything wrong about how people engage with each other in the world summed up and illustrated in one little FT thread. Quite impressive really.  Both sides spouting and no one really listening.  And don't worry, I grasp the hypocrisy,  I am as bad as anyone.  Somebody kill me please.  X

• Like 1