Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel interview with Glenn Hoddle

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I wasn't being entirely serious.

Of course, you were obviously speaking in jest.

But does it not highlight a serious point?

We had a manager who was trying to play "the Leicester way". It was absolutely diabolical football. We were struggling just as we are now to create chances, keep the ball, and performances particularly towards the end of his first season and then the smaller teams this season were awful.

We now have a manager who is struggling to get his point over, but has a new direction and at times, weve watched it working quite well.

What do you trust the future to more? the "Leicester Way" that was becoming worse, and worse, and worse, and a manager that can make that work? or trying to improve the players technically and have more elements to our game?

Were you happy to give Shakespeare more time? We should have stuck with him even longer right? because he would have brought a more typical "Leicester" style to the squad? Who do you think can do what Shakespeare was doing, but do it better?

Failing that........If you want a manager with a possession style like Howe for example, why arent people giving Puel the chance to do what Howe would do? what is there to suggest someone like that will do it more successfully than Puel, and note how long Howe has had to gradually build on his Bournemouth team with absolutely ZERO pressure.

Edited by Donut
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Hoddle was the superlative England creative midfielder player of his time. A superb passer of the ball, but ever criticised for not working hard enough. As England manager he was going somewhere but self-sabotaged by declaring his rather bizarre religious beliefs.

I don't get the "abysmal commentary" comment nor the "well up his arse" bit either. Seems a perfectly reasonable meeting and discussion between two old team-mates. And it gives the whole 'Puel stay, Puel go' discussion on this Forum a useful amount of objective information.

'We' haven't been "wank" - the team has been slow off the mark but, when they've woken up, have been threatening and scoring. The team aren't playing better now than when they did in 15-16 but there's been an influx of potentially good players. Kante and Drinkwater have been lost but Maguire, Diabate and N'Didi are young and bound to get better. Chilwell has emerged as a fine 'wing-back' and I think Gray and Iheanacho can and should improve.

Let's be frank here - the owners and senior managers haven't exactly been infallible in their choice of what manager to employ - certainly not in dismissing Pearson -  the first time I've witnessed the reversal of the biblical adage that the sins of the sons will be visited on their fathers.

Sure, everyone thought that Claudio was the best thing since sliced bread when City won the Premier but, although he was exactly the right personality to 'steady the ship' after Pearson was let down so badly and obliged to leave, the reality is that that team could have had gone on to win the title with the lightest of touches. Ranieri took the media pressure off them - made City lovable. But he had the same problem as Puel has - how to 'evolve' (it's the latest buzz word re City :rolleyes: ) the team into a more flexible unit.

I don't believe Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha is under pressure. The team have recovered from a difficult start to the season and ended up in a reasonable position. He doesn't need to panic -  he has no shareholder pressure on him and the fans should be extending a lot of good will to him for having facilitated the success we've achieved.

Are the fans going to start turning away from buying season tickets, just yet? If they do it will show a startling lack of patience, loyalty and maturity. Ever since MO'N left the club has been ineptly run and mediocre. And yet it's still not good enough for some.

Early days yet for Puel. I was reminded yesterday that O'Neill was the subject of much negative invective - so much so that he came out onto the pitch and appealed for more time. I suspect that to keep on changing managers won't produce what most of us want - it looks like we do have someone of worth in charge.

The bit about Hoddle being up his arse was tongue in cheek to be honest. It wasn't a criticism as if to say "Hoddle loves him, he can do no wrong according to Hoddle" just an observation at certain things he said in the interview.

Not a fan of his as a commentator. I find him extremely biased towards Spurs players.

I actually agree with pretty much everything you've put. If you read some of the stuff I've put elsewhere (https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/115164-name-a-better-option-than-puel/?page=15) then you'll see we're on a similar page :thumbup:

12 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Puel positives:

*  Blooding youngsters through (Chilwell, Choudary, Diabite).

*  Playing a more possession based game and look more comfortable on the ball.

I'm fed up of this player power (if the stories are to be believed). 

There comes a point where the directors need to say enough is enough and ship out players causing issues.

I honestly think if the owners back the manager 100% and allow him to bring in and ship out the players he requires, we could be a decent side.  Players throwing tantrums for not playing particular tactics need to be shipped out.  There is no sentiment in football anymore....Ask Drinkwater, Kante and soon to be Mahrez!

Messgae to the owners.  Back him 100% or get someone in who you will back 100% for a prolonged period!

Nigel didn't get results overnight, Pep didn't, Jose hasn't at Man u, Klopp hasn't at Liverpool.  TIME IS NEEDED.

These are all very big points which people need to remember.

I have this theory that clubs like Newcastle, Aston Villa, West Ham and Everton have all under-achieved because of this line of thinking. Tottenham now on the flip side have broken out of it, and look at them now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

Apparently he still wanted to keep his options open whilst still in the team.

It could be the Alderweired situation all over again. 

For me we need a centre back who is dominant in the air as we concede from far too many corners and headed goals, Dragovic is a good defender but isn't what I would want from a centre half as he's not good enough in the air. The first thing I want from my centre halves is for them not to concede from set pieces and crosses into the box. That's why I was always a big fan of Morgan/Huth and Walsh/Elliott/Taggart as this rarely happened and teams were forced to score from good football in open play. We concede too easily from positions we shouldn't IMO.

Issa Diop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Issa Diop.

Just googled him and he'd be right up our street.

At Toulouse so we could get him but he has been linked with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Tottenham and Arsenal. If none of these clubs made a move for him we'd be a good option for him to develop. He's only 21 but has 77 first team games for his club and 5 U21 games for France. Just under 6,5" and a beast in the air and would hopefully hopefully go a long way to solve our conceding headed goals and set pieces this season.

I believe the term is GERRRRRRRIIIIIMMMMIIIINNNNNN

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5587302/issa-diop-profile-arsenal-tottenham-transfer/

Claude needs time, if anyone has read Ferguson's bio then you will know that he's already thinking about rebuilding the week after he won the league. Our club was a shambles and Mr puel came in and sorted it out. 

I believe that he knew we were safe, and therefore tried to implement his philosophy, and, we all thought he was just f U C K I Ng around with the team, but.....he was just giving people adequate time to show their worth in a view to massive changes...

This guy is no mug, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's already told Drago he wants him next year but won't play him in order to lower the transfer fee...

Now has anyone thought of that?

Edited by Gwyn

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Just googled him and he'd be right up our street.

At Toulouse so we could get him but he has been linked with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Tottenham and Arsenal. If none of these clubs made a move for him we'd be a good option for him to develop. He's only 21 but has 77 first team games for his club and 5 U21 games for France. Just under 6,5" and a beast in the air and would hopefully hopefully go a long way to solve our conceding headed goals and set pieces this season.

I believe the term is GERRRRRRRIIIIIMMMMIIIINNNNNN

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5587302/issa-diop-profile-arsenal-tottenham-transfer/

lol to be honest, my knowledge on him extends as far as "he's a beast on FM". Can give you some good pointers though.

I agree though what you've posted is exactly the profile we should go for.

On 15/04/2018 at 12:47, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s about being engaging, charismatic, or at least interesting, I don’t want to be amused during press conferences but I want to be able to listen and be mildly interested.

Why..?

He can be boring as he likes.

Its what he does with the team,and how he developes the squad,over the future.

Progress has been made,and yes we

Have had some dire displays,but from our Predicament,and miserable outlook towards the future,I believe we are more stable,and we if you look,have more

Positives going since Puel came.

I never expected instant success,and

seen the negative twists and turns coming.His 1st task has been achieved

Top 10 safety.Getting the unknown

Youth players potential decent gametime,+Trying to integrate the unknown

Potential of the new players.

Get some decent performances,into

the new,scheme and system.

Playing wise since Xmas,there is no

Hiding it,we have had poor games,and

Players making really bad mistakes,

Plus players sometimes seemingly

Having/lacking on effort,basics,commitment and attitude.

Mixed with some good lucious moments..IMO the Burnley game was

Our best since the S'opoverty,e.

The chances missed were created,from

Some good incisive football.

Of course it would of been great if the

Transition period would of ran more

Fluently,yes there are the doubts that

Football fans carry with them.

Southampton comparisons just immature nonsense.

We had nothing when we decided to

Split with Shakey,At least IMO,we have

something promising.

Too many falsely believing,after 14 months of playing and game poverty,

We could instantly turn it over..

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Why..?

Have had some dire displays,but from our Predicament,and miserable outlook towards the future,I believe we are more stable,and we if you look,have more

something promising.

I only said I wanted to be interested in what he says.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Why..?

something promising.

9 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I only said I wanted to be interested in what he says.

Guys, you just stripped every gear in my brain.  It's not made to go from “can’t find the damn road” at 90 mph to full stop, in one second.

• Like 1

GLENN: That was Claude. He would want to win, whether it was five-a-side, everything. He was quite calm normally. But when the game was about to start, in the dressing-room, he had an English mentality. He was very vocal.

CLAUDE: I have two personalities! 

That simple exchange says enough for me. Not only is Puel competitive, he has one personality for interviews and another one in the dressing room I suspect. It seems to be a common complaint that he is not charismatic enough, maybe that's just in front of the cameras. Hoddle, by virtue of the experience of actually playing and training along side him, seems to think he's more than capable.

Edit - I've just realised I've put my faith in Glenn Hoddle there. lol

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

Leicester City are ahead of schedule, says Claude Puel

City boss is trying to transform City's footballing identity, and he thinks it will take time

By

Rob TannerFootball Writer

16:00, 16 APR 2018

UPDATED17:59, 16 APR 2018

Claude Puel says Leicester City's position in the table has been a bonus as has looked to transform his team's identity.

Despite back-to-back defeats, which have left City's chances of qualifying for Europe looking unlikely with five games remaining, the City boss believes his team are ahead of where he thought they would be when he took over from Craig Shakespeare in October.

Puel says he is trying to change the blueprint for City teams to play, and has been surprised with how quickly his players have adapted to his approach, although he admits inevitably his side have been inconsistent as a result.

However, he believes with a pre-season to fine tune his footballing ideology, City will be stronger next season.

“When we start the season we will play friendly games and we can put in place different parts of the play and that is better for the players and the staff," said Puel. 

“It is the first time I took a team in the middle of the season and a team in difficulty. 

“I didn’t want to change all things in the first game. 

“It was important to keep the good understanding and fighting spirit and keep their confidence in their play.

Leicester City manager Claude Puel gives his side instructions during the 2-1 defeat to Burnley(Image: Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)

“Step by step we developed the play and changed and people can see this. 

“It changed but also we kept good intensity, play forwards and have good chances and good possibility but sometimes with more control of the game. 

“We need to have a good response against any team and for the future to have good results against any opponents. 

“For this it’s important that we build our play and for that it’s better that we start at the beginning of the season with friendly games and with the training ground and it will be difficult for next season.

“We can develop the team more when we start a season but since October these players have developed and improved and the team also, now we need to develop consistency and to correct our starting game

"Where we are is a bonus, but it’s normal that I gave them also this message, it’s important to continue in this way. 

“It’s important to grow and to try always to get the feeling and ambition."

There has been speculation that Puel's changes had caused some unrest within his squad, but Puel has dismissed those claims and urged his players to show unity, as they did in the last transfer window when there was speculation surrounding Riyad Mahrez's future. 

"We need to give the good response we need to keep the right way and not get disturbed by speculation," he added. 

“We need to give all our best and stay together. 

“As a team you need staff, players and fans to give a good response. 

“It was a difficult moment in the winter transfer moment about Riyad. It was a difficult situation to manage and we managed it successfully because all people stayed together around the situation. 

“If we want to have a result and good possibility we need to keep that way always. 

“Win or lose we continue our work correctly."

• Like 1

On 15/04/2018 at 17:39, Sharpe's Fox said:

Love this it is spot on. Personally I wouldn’t be suprised if Puel invited Hoddle there on his own volition to put a positive story out in the media about him for the sheep to lap up.

Aa =u

On 15/04/2018 at 17:39, Sharpe's Fox said:

Love this it is spot on. Personally I wouldn’t be suprised if Puel invited Hoddle there on his own volition to put a positive story out in the media about him for the sheep to lap up.

Speaking as someone with media experience that is exactly what the article was for. Spot on

Managers who come to clubs when a sizeable proportion of the fan base are indifferent, then it doesn’t take much for people to call for his head.

I’m all for him. Remember only a few months most were waxing lyrical over him. We’ve had a few iffy results lately, but who doesn’t (even Man City have had this season). 

I’m bored of defending him to be honest. 

• Like 1