Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

59 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

If we can get our act together 6th is there for the taking 

We certainly shouldn't feel inferior to either of these if as you say , we can get our act together . It would be ridiculous if we can match or better them and then get knocked back by someone like wolves or Watford though 

12 minutes ago, FIF said:

So after all the Puel out splurge we're sitting 9th, 3 pts up and we're 5th, 3 pts down and we're 12th. Sounds as good as can be expected. 

Quite . But it won't stop the clamour to upgrade to someone like (2nd to bottom) Benitez . I also wonder what Everton fans think about Silva - his goals against as manager  in EPL  is staggering 

41 minutes ago, surrifox said:

We certainly shouldn't feel inferior to either of these if as you say , we can get our act together . It would be ridiculous if we can match or better them and then get knocked back by someone like wolves or Watford though 

I can see Watford having their usual mid - end of season slump. Fair play if they can keep it going though. 

Itll he frustarting if we don’t make 6th or 7th because this season they should really be our targets. No lower 

Guest Kopfkino
1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Everton for me are a cautionary tale of what could happen to us. Despite massive investment they are still no better than they were a few years ago. More notably they still lack an identity in terms of how they want to play and what the club wants to achieve. Marco Silva might eventually sort them out but they’ve already got a number of players on big price tags and contracts whose value will only deteriorate. So despite the investment it’s inevitable they will have to reinvest again in a few seasons. They’ve also had to put up with Allardyce being their manager to bail them out last year. 

We are far away from being perfect but we are playing young players and technical football and already doing alright. This weekend we once again had the youngest average age of any PL team, a statistic that actually got even lower given Wes wasn’t in the team. And of those players two scored, one was man of the match and another is the most recent player to be capped for England. 

I far prefer the state of our club right now compared to theirs even if our owners aren’t quite in the same super rich league. 

It’s a great time to be a Fox. 

They're actually far wealthier than Moshiri.

5 hours ago, FIF said:

So after all the Puel out splurge we're sitting 9th, 3 pts up and we're 5th, 3 pts down and we're 12th. Sounds as good as can be expected. 

True this, I think it was only the Bournemouth game were we have played badly, apart from that we have looked pretty good. Defence could do with a bit of work but generally we have been solid and it has been a good start to the season. 

Just six games in and the table is already settling down - the "Big 6" are all in the top 7, Cardiff and Huddersfield occupy the bottom 2 places and if Watford run out of steam then that "Best of the rest" place is there for the taking, I'd say us, Wolves, Everton and possibly Watford can have our own mini league for 7th place which makes the Everton game a big one, watching them yesterday they may well have a few players missing but aren't particularly frightening although the three behind the striker of Walcott, Sigurdson and Richarlison is strong on paper. Like it or not it seems Wolves could be the toughest rivals for that 7th spot unless they have a dip in form which seems unlikely at the moment. Burnley may rise a few places now they're not travelling over Europe in the week and Bore-mouth could drop a few places if their opponents start turning up with a defence. I keep saying that if West Ham sort themselves out they can compete for 7-11th too but......the Karma of unfairly getting a capacity increase gifted to them continues to do its thing but if one day it all clicks then they are a serious rival.

To summarise, aside from Watfords strong start, Man Utd's brief wobble and Wolves fulfilling their potential it's pretty much as expected.

• Like 4

On 24/09/2018 at 08:00, fazzyfox said:

Just six games in and the table is already settling down - the "Big 6" are all in the top 7, Cardiff and Huddersfield occupy the bottom 2 places and if Watford run out of steam then that "Best of the rest" place is there for the taking, I'd say us, Wolves, Everton and possibly Watford can have our own mini league for 7th place which makes the Everton game a big one, watching them yesterday they may well have a few players missing but aren't particularly frightening although the three behind the striker of Walcott, Sigurdson and Richarlison is strong on paper. Like it or not it seems Wolves could be the toughest rivals for that 7th spot unless they have a dip in form which seems unlikely at the moment. Burnley may rise a few places now they're not travelling over Europe in the week and Bore-mouth could drop a few places if their opponents start turning up with a defence. I keep saying that if West Ham sort themselves out they can compete for 7-11th too but......the Karma of unfairly getting a capacity increase gifted to them continues to do its thing but if one day it all clicks then they are a serious rival.

To summarise, aside from Watfords strong start, Man Utd's brief wobble and Wolves fulfilling their potential it's pretty much as expected.

I'd much rather be competing with Wolves and Watford for 7th than Everton, really not a fan.

• Like 2

Talking of the battle for 7th place, this is an interesting article which analyses the teams in the running to be 'best of the rest':https://statsbomb.com/2018/09/in-search-of-the-premier-leagues-seventh-best-team/

It's conclusion on us makes interesting reading: "The squad probably has more talent than any other team on this list, and that may be enough, but a lack of a cohesive style of play may prove to be their undoing."

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Talking of the battle for 7th place, this is an interesting article which analyses the teams in the running to be 'best of the rest':https://statsbomb.com/2018/09/in-search-of-the-premier-leagues-seventh-best-team/

It's conclusion on us makes interesting reading: "The squad probably has more talent than any other team on this list, and that may be enough, but a lack of a cohesive style of play may prove to be their undoing."

From that article;

'Maddison in particular offers a great creative passing threat, but combines it with a frustrating willingness to shoot from bad locations.'

I was on holiday/travelling for the first three games and only saw bits of them. Since then the above doesn't chime with what I've been watching at all. Have I missed something?

21 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

From that article;

'Maddison in particular offers a great creative passing threat, but combines it with a frustrating willingness to shoot from bad locations.'

I was on holiday/travelling for the first three games and only saw bits of them. Since then the above doesn't chime with what I've been watching at all. Have I missed something?

The usual making shit up that the football press tend to do, based on not actually watching any highlights and just patching soundbites together.

That and the reporter probably wanted to provide some degree of balance but didn't really need to lol 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2018 at 08:00, fazzyfox said:

Watford look the most able for 7th IMO.

Their midfield is the best outside the top 6 for me, they have two strikers that can score and compliment each other, their defence is solid and Foster is a very solid goalkeeper.

Worry for them (and Wolves) is keeping players fit though because they don't have the strength in depth that we and Everton have.