Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's grim reading, but what can Cardiff do? The other teams that have come up have spent 100m each. I don't really like him, but Warnock did an incredible job in getting that team promoted and out performed multiple other managers in the division, including Jokanovic because Cardiff finished above them last season.

They will finish rock bottom you suspect but it's kind of a sad outlook on how important money is in the modern game. They've given a chance to the players that got them up and they are going to fail because of it, whereas Wolves and especially Fulham have just brought a ton of players to fill the gaps.

Once again it shows you how incredible our title win was. We did sign a fair few players but the spine was basically the same as the one that got us promoted and many of our signings were free transfers. It's probably going to take another 100 years for anyone to replicate that sort of underdog victory, if it's ever done at all.

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit. Our title win proved that money isn't the be all and end all. Granted, it's obviously a big factor, but we showed how it is possible to build a competitive side on a relatively small budget.

Cardiff achieved automatic promotion without really looking a good side. They grounded out results consistently, but you could tell they were going to struggle playing that way at a higher level. Lucky to be in the PL, really.

53 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They did a really nice segment on this in the morning. If anyone has the whole clip, please post it here, it was great.

Watching it now and it is very good. Huth talks about our title winning season at length. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit. Our title win proved that money isn't the be all and end all. Granted, it's obviously a big factor, but we showed how it is possible to build a competitive side on a relatively small budget.

Cardiff achieved automatic promotion without really looking a good side. They grounded out results consistently, but you could tell they were going to struggle playing that way at a higher level. Lucky to be in the PL, really.

That's the thing, I'm not sure it's possible anymore. When we played and beat Man City to go 6 points clear our total team cost 20M. But nowadays the teams getting promoted in their first season up are spending 70M+.

We did prove it was possible, but sadly IMO what happened as a result of that victory is that the new TV deal came in and made it even harder to compete with the top teams. Look at the net spends of the top spenders in our league since our title win, for some teams it's over a quarter of a billion. And two of our best players left for those clubs since our win.

The worst thing for a promoted side (or any, but particularly a promoted one) is to not win in your first 6-8 matches. Promotion means you are full of optimism and usually on the back of a winning run so the confidence is high and you are used to winning matches. As soon as that changes, as we saw four years ago after a pretty impressive first 7 games, it drains the belief and doubts creep in.

Failure to win these matches against the likes of an out-of-form Burnley and Newcastle weighs heavily on minds and offer little respite from the expected beatings. 

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's grim reading, but what can Cardiff do? The other teams that have come up have spent 100m each. 

Wolves and especially Fulham have just brought a ton of players to fill the gaps.

We spent around £60m not 100. And half of that was converting existing loans to permanent. 

Four new starters in our first 11. We haven't bought that many new players compared to some. 

Just now, The Bear said:

We spent around £60m not 100. And half of that was converting existing loans to permanent. 

Four new starters in our first 11. We haven't bought that many new players compared to some. 

60M is a ton of money and that doesn't even take into account the convenient arrangement you have with Jorge Mendes. I'm sure a number of Championship clubs were unhappy with the way Wolves got out of it last year.

Fair play, Wolves play good football but my point is that the money in the league makes it harder and harder for another fairy tale to take place. Listen even we are now spending a lot of money so I'm not trying to turn this into a "holier than thou" type of argument. But my point is that for Cardiff who are having a tough time it's hard to see what else they could do unless their owner also coughs up a ton of money. That's why the 2015/16 Leicester team truly did defy the odds, probably in a way that will never be done again.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's the thing, I'm not sure it's possible anymore. When we played and beat Man City to go 6 points clear our total team cost 20M. But nowadays the teams getting promoted in their first season up are spending 70M+.

We did prove it was possible, but sadly IMO what happened as a result of that victory is that the new TV deal came in and made it even harder to compete with the top teams. Look at the net spends of the top spenders in our league since our title win, for some teams it's over a quarter of a billion. And two of our best players left for those clubs since our win.

The inflation on transfer fees does apply across the board, so you would have to spend a lot more today to build a similar team to the one we had that won the league, but then it's all relative - it would still be a fraction of the big few clubs' budgets. I do see your point, though - it would have to be a bigger fraction now than it was then.

I think you're probably right. Everyone knows our title win was a huge shock - that's what made it so remarkable. I think a lot of people, myself included, had hoped that it might have been a sign of what was to come - perhaps a sport where money had less impact, a more level playing field and a fair crack of the whip handed out to a bigger number of clubs. Sadly, though, it's probably the reality that it was always going to be a one-off and anything like it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

The inflation on transfer fees does apply across the board, so you would have to spend a lot more today to build a similar team to the one we had that won the league, but then it's all relative - it would still be a fraction of the big few clubs' budgets. I do see your point, though - it would have to be a bigger fraction now than it was then.

I think you're probably right. Everyone knows our title win was a huge shock - that's what made it so remarkable. I think a lot of people, myself included, had hoped that it might have been a sign of what was to come - perhaps a sport where money had less impact, a more level playing field and a fair crack of the whip handed out to a bigger number of clubs. Sadly, though, it's probably the reality that it was always going to be a one-off and anything like it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.

But a one off makes it more special. 

And it happened to us!  :scarf:

Hudders...Cardiff aren't crap,they are fighting with what they've got....some football has been good to watch.

They are finding it difficult to convert,those few chances.Some clear cut which would have effected the out come.

From the present bottom 3,who so early in the season can make a small great escape,from the 5 above them who can

Keep relegation along way from the door....

The bottom part of midtable,like every season will have its twists and turns,where some will hold easy their position,and others

Will slip and slither.

Stating the obvious....after 7 games too early...we and the pundits never learn...proof!!!

Newcastle,Brighton,Palace,Leicester,Burnley,Wham...are still PL teams,no matter!!!

Me!!!  Positions might stay the same,but past seasons have seen the obvious in Denial....it's football..innit! 

I enjoy the waiting,Crystal balls are often...a load of balls!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

4 hours ago, FIF said:

Well done.

And to think that half of the vocal FTers were claiming that Puel would get us relegated only 2 games ago. 

10 points less and we're still not in the bottom 3

10 points more and we're 3 pts ahead of the top team.

Always difficult to get 22 points out of 7 games in football to be fair though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, davelcfc100 said:

Always difficult to get 22 points out of 7 games in football to be fair though. 

That's my point.

It shows that we (and Puel) are doing pretty well

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

We get that you're precious about the money situation at Wolves (you bought the Championship, deal with it) but you're still gleefully missing the point. 

60 or 100 is irrelevant, you've still got 10,00000x more resources than Cardiff, as do we all. 

They make Burnley look like PSG. 

Edited by Finnegan

I won’t buy the money argument for failing in the Premier League, especially not slamming wolves for spending. 

The fact is everyone gets 90m+ for getting promoted, and if you go straight back down you earn a decent wedge too.

Cardiff is a fantastic city and they’ve got great facilities, I doubt it would be hard to convince people to join. Their issue is no one wants to Join and play warnock old fashioned style. 

Same with Burnley, how can Dyche keep using the no money excuse after three seasons of Premier League money and a mini European tour. Similarly with them it’s easy enough to convince people to move with Manchester round the corner. 

Again their issue is the perception that Burnley aren’t progressive and a bit old fashioned. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We get that you're precious about the money situation at Wolves (you bought the Championship, deal with it) but you're still gleefully missing the point. 

60 or 100 is irrelevant, you've still got 10,00000x more resources than Cardiff, as do we all. 

They make Burnley look like PSG. 

Yeah we bought the Championship in the season that Birmingham spent more money than us...

We just spent it better than everyone else.