Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

47 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

How far far do you go back?

Huddersfield were once massive.

Interesting that he included Huddersfield because they've won more top flight titles than the "big" clubs he mentioned apart from Villa of course (Huddersfield have more top flight titles than Sheffield United, Derby, Nottingham Forest, and the same amount as Leeds).

It's all reletive to your era.

Edited by Fox92

I get irritated by the likes of Burnley and Cardiff saying they can't compete. They all get the same TV money, they can all choose to spend that how they wish. It's hardly difficult convincing good foreign talent to move to a great city like Cardiff or Manchester is it!

The issue is the image of the managers and their style of play but they would never admit that!

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Warnock said they tried to sign another striker on deadline day but couldn't get anyone to come. 

Yep, he's the issue not the money or location

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Don't Cardiff have millions worth of debt too? They can go down and probably write it off.

Exactly! That's the other point, there's hardly any risk attached because you rake it in when you go down and as long as you come straight back up you're on a really sound footing.

I'm still perplexed how Cardiff managed go even get promoted. They are that bad. They are the most technically inept side I have seen in the PL. I guess you have to give massive credit to Warnock who somehow managed to get that squad promoted.

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They come up and attacked the Premier League. They haven’t tried to sneak games or play time wasting or dive about or go underhand. There has been some teams come and they are so niggly. 

Bournemouth, that.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

I'd much rather see the historically "bigger" clubs like Derby, Forest, Villa, Leeds and Sheff Utd in the Prem than the likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton, Cardiff, Palace, etc. 

Why?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Langston said:

How long can a side be a "sleeping giant" / big club or just accept that maybe their moment has passed is the argument here. Proper elitism and it usually comes from fans of teams that haven't won anything since the invention of widescreen TV, getting the arse because it's obviously their right to be in the top tier, whether that's on merit or not.

Football is cyclical and always has been.

Of all those HUGE clubs the Bear mentioned, the last one to even reach a major final was Villa in 2010, League Cup. They lost. The last to win a trophy was Villa again, same competition, in 95/96.

That's over twenty years without a solitary trophy and a lot of second tier (even third tier) action for those clubs. Massive.

Yeah, I just think it is weird.  Most Leicester fans spend a fair deal of time moaning about big club bias and most of us got annoyed at the scoffing from the "football elite" during our title win and then we somehow think teams like Bournemouth don't "deserve" to be in the PL.  I am all for as many smaller teams as possible mixing it with the big boys.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 15.22.17.png

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

Yeah we bought the Championship in the season that Birmingham spent more money than us...

We just spent it better than everyone else. 

You've said elsewhere in the thread that this summer's spending of £60m is misleading because half of that was on converting loan deals into permanent deals.

I'd argue that those loan deals were never intended to be loans long-term (unless you failed to get promoted), and that those permanent deals were probably agreed way in advance, even if unofficially. So you can essentially add the £30m figure onto your championship spending, which suddenly makes it a lot less impressive. Oh, and transfermarkt seems to think you outspent Birmingham by about 35%, not including those 'loans'

It's an impressive squad you put together, for sure, but you certainly weren't shy of flashing the cash in the championship and utilising connections to bring in players who were otherwise unlikely to drop to your level.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Why on Earth would anyone prefer "historically big" teams to be in the Premiership that some of the smaller teams?  I can't work out why people would feel that way?

Super Sunday's like Cardiff v Burnley yesterday is a good starting point.

Can't say I'd rather be watching that than Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds in the top flight. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Can't say I'd rather be watching that than Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds in the top flight. 

Don't you enjoy an underdog or a smaller team doing well?  

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Don't you enjoy an underdog or a smaller team doing well?  

Yes. Although I often regret it when I have then only a choice of Cardiff v Burnley to watch as a Super Sunday match.

Guest Markyblue

You are where you deserve to be. Football is played in the now ,being a so called massive club years ago means nothing. The longer forest stay at their proper level the better ,would hate to see the Brian clough trophy disrupted. 

I can understand the Bear's argument (though I disagree with the sentiment) but we do look back with a lot of rose-tinted spectacles at these clubs. I like the fact this league has had so much variety in the clubs that have and are participating.

Harsh as it may seem I think you should be penalized if you are not putting out a competitive team in the Premier League.

If you go down with says 31+ points I think you should receive no penalty.... at least it shows you are giving it a go.

If you go down with say 25-30 points there should be a big reduction in the parachute payment.

If you go down with less than 25 points there should be a massive reduction in the parachute payment coupled

with a points deduction for the following season in the championship.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

There’s one reason Cardiff v Burnley was a Sunday 4pm. The Ryder Cup was Sky’s lead event and they didn’t want to split the audience in anyway. Ticked off one of their contractural games for them pair in the process

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1