Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

12 hours ago, sylofox said:

Everything at this moment they have done is in the open. What is to admit. When the next lot of figures come out they may have done wrong. But right now the Bear has nothing to admit. 

We all know what they have done. Who are we to question wolves when we had a dodgy deal to get up. 

As I've said some are asking in an accusing way (not saying you have) so why should he reply. 

I'm sure if asked in the right way he would reply. In fact I will ask. 

The Bear do you think some of what your club did in getting promoted is morally right?

Can he phone a friend?.... 

200px-Yogi_Bear_Yogi_Bear.png

25 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Can he phone a friend?.... 

200px-Yogi_Bear_Yogi_Bear.png

I'm not sure about morally wrong. We've not done anything other clubs haven't already, or tried to. 

Chinese owners - Plenty of clubs. We just have seriously rich, ambitious and smart ones. Lucky us. 

Links to an agent - Plenty have them, Man Utd with Mendes/Raiola, Leeds with Radrizzani's agency, Bolton under Fat Sam with Willy McKay, etc. 

Spent money - No more than several other clubs over 2-3 year period, no matter what people try to claim on here. 

So I'm not sure what we've done that's "morally" wrong. You can debate the whole agent link up depending on whether you think it is clever/dodgy, but that's the only real issue people should be having. 

Edited by The Bear

There used to be the exact same arguments about Watford and the Pozzos on here, give it 18 months and the next promoted club with underhand owners (tbh much like ours) will come along. 

Like The Bear has said most of the championship is trying to get that competitive edge, it’s just that they did it better. Even Bournemouth massively failed FFP when they came up and we generally saw them as a great miracle from league 2 journey. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

That wage was reported for Neves but it was nonsense. 

I can just as easily say Leicester bought the league for promotion, and even spent so much you broke FFP rules. And then set up dodgy companies to get round it. 

We are the good gangsters, gangsters yes,but still the goodies....if you don't believe us,my cousins will make a visit,so you can enjoy a ride.

We breached FFP play but it was mostly the 3 year cycle from Sven’s tenure that ****ed us. Since Pearson came back we spent a fairly normal amount for a club of our position and size back then. In the summer of 2013 there’s a reason we signed Hammond, Taylor-Fletcher and Wasilewski - they were experienced but crucially they were cheap.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

I'm not sure about morally wrong. We've not done anything other clubs haven't already, or tried to. 

Chinese owners - Plenty of clubs. We just have seriously rich, ambitious and smart ones. Lucky us. 

Links to an agent - Plenty have them, Man Utd with Mendes/Raiola, Leeds with Radrizzani's agency, Bolton under Fat Sam with Willy McKay, etc. 

Spent money - No more than several other clubs over 2-3 year period, no matter what people try to claim on here. 

So I'm not sure what we've done that's "morally" wrong. You can debate the whole agent link up depending on whether you think it is clever/dodgy, but that's the only real issue people should be having. 

Would your views on it be the same if it were another club in the Championship and they had pipped you to promotion?  I am not trying to be obtuse here I just think it is always good to try and see things from all angles?  X

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Do you not understand that clubs like Huddersfield don't have as much resources? When Huddersfield got promoted they had the lowest budget (or second lowest budget) in the Championship. Right now, it is the equvilant of Rotherham winning the play offs this season.

Clubs like Villa and Sheffield Wednesday have spent millions trying to get out that division. Just like Wolves did. Compared those to the budget of Cardiff. Cardiff should never have been anywhere near the top 6 never mind top 2. Does Warnock think they'll stay up? Does he fvck, he knows they shouldn't even be in the division.

Hats off to clubs on smaller budgets that come up and manage to stay up. Do I want Huddersfield to stay up again? Yes.

Mate what are you blathering on about, this is not me critcising their success, Huddersfield are skint, in other news water is wet, I already said they're here by merit and fairplay to them. but this is me saying, that having a bottom half consisting of Bournemouth,Cardiff,Huddersfield .etc. cheapens the league. If the bottom half of the league is just built up of small clubs punching above their weight then it completely dilutes the league like it has. You look at when Blackpool came up, if they came up these day nobody would bat an eyelid because the league has been cheapened because it's full of small clubs punching above their weight.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Would your views on it be the same if it were another club in the Championship and they had pipped you to promotion?  I am not trying to be obtuse here I just think it is always good to try and see things from all angles?  X

Pretty much yeah. A few tried similar strategies. We just landed good owners with a good agent link up. 

I certainly wouldn't be in favour of crying about it like Leeds/Villa fans with people like Bruce and Radrizanni running off to the press about it.

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Mate what are you blathering on about, this is not me critcising their success, Huddersfield are skint, in other news water is wet, I already said they're here by merit and fairplay to them. but this is me saying, that having a bottom half consisting of Bournemouth,Cardiff,Huddersfield .etc. cheapens the league. If the bottom half of the league is just built up of small clubs punching above their weight then it completely dilutes the league like it has. You look at when Blackpool came up, if they came up these day nobody would bat an eyelid because the league has been cheapened because it's full of small clubs punching above their weight.

In very simple terms...I totally disagree!!!  

Or do you believe we need 2 new leagues....let's get rid of the bottom half!!!

Top 6 for PL 1,Then a a PL 2 with 14teams!!!I

Slagging off teams in the bottom half of the PL by saying they cheapen the league and don't belong..!!!

What horse are you riding!!

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Sounds like your world consists of a premier league of 5 clubs - maybe 4.

4 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

I think we'll end up in a bit of a 'rivalry' with Wolves over the next few years- we seem to be on very similar trajectories:

- Ambitions of silverware & regular European football

- Similarly mid-sized clubs with plans to grow

- Stadium expansions

- We look set to be the two main forces in the Midlands for the foreseeable future

- A bit of history there from the 90s

- Fanbases already seem a bit wound up with each other

It will be hard enough for either of us to topple any of the top 6, never mind both- be interesting to see how it pans out.

Just not quite as good as city yet. 

Edited by bfox

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I don't see why any rational grown up person would really be bothered. Obviously that discounts about 80% of football fans, but @The Bear seems to have his head screwed on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

That wage was reported for Neves but it was nonsense. 

I can just as easily say Leicester bought the league for promotion, and even spent so much you broke FFP rules. And then set up dodgy companies to get round it. 

I think it would be hard to argue that we bought the Championship.  Our title winning first XI only cost £25m so I imagine our Championship side cost about £10m.

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

Where is your sense of romance?

I love the fact the teams like Huddersfield and Brighton are in the PL, leaving traditional big clubs like Villa and Leeds in the Championship.  It gives everybody hope.  Who wants to see the same teams year in year out with no hope of breaking their monopoly?

Also, because of the amount of small teams in the Premier League it makes us a medium sized PL club by default.  I'm sure in our last few promotions the bigger clubs fans sneered at little Leicester making up the numbers too.

This is my point though, with all of these small clubs, it numbs the romance of a small club coming up in the league when there is so many of them in the league already. The romance of when Blackpool came up, even Wigan to some degree is pretty much out the window now because that's what the league is now. You've got to have your bigger small clubs in the league, because it makes that plucky underdog romance story. If you've got say, a Rotherham coming up to the prem, it's less romantic than it was 10 or so years ago because the prem is so easy now to come up and survive because of the influx of smaller clubs. 

I disagree with that, we're an established premier league club who would be a loss to the division, not because of small clubs but because of what we achieved in winning the division. Yeah they probably did and probably did in our recent promotion, but I'm thinking the whole picture. Think of championship club now coming up, would they rather be rubbing shoulders with Huddersfield or Cardiff rather than a Leeds or a Villa? It's mental to me that a club in the premier league can have a stadium which only seats 11k in this day and age.

3 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

This is my point though, with all of these small clubs, it numbs the romance of a small club coming up in the league when there is so many of them in the league already. The romance of when Blackpool came up, even Wigan to some degree is pretty much out the window now because that's what the league is now. You've got to have your bigger small clubs in the league, because it makes that plucky underdog romance story. If you've got say, a Rotherham coming up to the prem, it's less romantic than it was 10 or so years ago because the prem is so easy now to come up and survive because of the influx of smaller clubs. 

I disagree with that, we're an established premier league club who would be a loss to the division, not because of small clubs but because of what we achieved in winning the division. Yeah they probably did and probably did in our recent promotion, but I'm thinking the whole picture. Think of championship club now coming up, would they rather be rubbing shoulders with Huddersfield or Cardiff rather than a Leeds or a Villa? It's mental to me that a club in the premier league can have a stadium which only seats 11k in this day and age.

Forever decreasing circles......Preston,Bolton,Accrington,Shef.Wed,Portsmouth,Hddfield ,Leeds even Wolves were the big clubs.

No team lowers the standards. It's a strange and unwarranted stance you take....In all sport one has to earn and keep the rigjt,

nothing more nothing less..

• Like 2

I get a lot of the points being made here but the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa etc.... it's their own fault. Don't blame your Watfords and your Bournemouths. They've come up and done well. They aren't the most interesting of clubs but they shouldn't be sneered at for being well run. The league is cheapened by clubs like Leeds, Villa, Sheff Weds, Newcastle etc... all being badly managed. Don't under-estimate how watered down a Newcastle you're getting at the minute. Clubs like us benefit from Mike Ashley.

Regarding Wolves v Leicester in terms of going up... I don't think there's any point playing a game of who's promotion was the most ethical, although what I will say about us is that we didn't actually go up because of our breaking of FFP - we did get away with it to the extent I think the rules need abolishing but we actually went up when we started cleaning the mess. It wasn't even close to as beneficial as getting players like Ruben Neves to be able to sign for us regardless of the money we spent.

The equivalent to Leicester going up in this year's Championship would be someone like Sheffield Wednesday winning the league. A club who've spent a lot, spent it badly, but are now having to make allowances for that. Our promotion was pretty unexpected really. We felt like we'd blown the chance. I guess we just under-estimated how good a side we actually had, and had how much that Watford game stung them.

• Like 3