Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

15 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Forever decreasing circles......Preston,Bolton,Accrington,Shef.Wed,Portsmouth,Hddfield ,Leeds even Wolves were the big clubs.

No team lowers the standards. It's a strange and unwarranted stance you take....In all sport one has to earn and keep the rigjt,

nothing more nothing less..

p01z7lv4.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I think it would be hard to argue that we bought the Championship.  Our title winning first XI only cost £25m so I imagine our Championship side cost about £10m.

Yes but the owners spent well over 100m in getting us to the premiership.

31 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I get a lot of the points being made here but the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa etc.... it's their own fault. Don't blame your Watfords and your Bournemouths. They've come up and done well. They aren't the most interesting of clubs but they shouldn't be sneered at for being well run. The league is cheapened by clubs like Leeds, Villa, Sheff Weds, Newcastle etc... all being badly managed. Don't under-estimate how watered down a Newcastle you're getting at the minute. Clubs like us benefit from Mike Ashley.

Regarding Wolves v Leicester in terms of going up... I don't think there's any point playing a game of who's promotion was the most ethical, although what I will say about us is that we didn't actually go up because of our breaking of FFP - we did get away with it to the extent I think the rules need abolishing but we actually went up when we started cleaning the mess. It wasn't even close to as beneficial as getting players like Ruben Neves to be able to sign for us regardless of the money we spent.

The equivalent to Leicester going up in this year's Championship would be someone like Sheffield Wednesday winning the league. A club who've spent a lot, spent it badly, but are now having to make allowances for that. Our promotion was pretty unexpected really. We felt like we'd blown the chance. I guess we just under-estimated how good a side we actually had, and had how much that Watford game stung them.

It really was an absolute sickener. Not only did we lose in the most ridiculous way possible and were consigned to seeing the replays over and over for years, but that was supposed to be our last chance before we were screwed financially- the last roll of the dice for a bloke who'd gambled his house.

It's incredible that it galvanised that group of players to the point that it carried them to the Premier League title within 3 years.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I don't see why any rational grown up person would really be bothered. Obviously that discounts about 80% of football fans, but @The Bear seems to have his head screwed on.

I just meant that, in general terms, many football fans are very hypocritical.  It was not really a dig at the Bear more of a request to aways be objective.  X

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Yes but the owners spent well over 100m in getting us to the premiership.

They, or more to the point Sven, made some expensive mistakes in the previous years and failed to get promotion.  Pearson's team that won the league was not expensive by upper Championship standards.  

You could argue perhaps that we tried and failed to buy promotion but that was a different squad,  We didn't buy the league because Pearson's squad cost relatively little.

Still think Huddersfield and Cardiff are basically stealing two other teams places in this league.

I'm a reasonable bloke but still can't fathom out what they bring to this division.

Not competitive … dull football and miserly goal scorers .

Both of them are so crap and lacking in ambition they haven't even got the decency 

to give us an exciting relegation battle.

Might end up with egg on my face … but I doubt it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

It really was an absolute sickener. Not only did we lose in the most ridiculous way possible and were consigned to seeing the replays over and over for years, but that was supposed to be our last chance before we were screwed financially- the last roll of the dice for a bloke who'd gambled his house.

It's incredible that it galvanised that group of players to the point that it carried them to the Premier League title within 3 years.

It was astounding, how can you go from needing a penalty to win it to still managing to lose in normal time. You could sense the goal coming as soon as they belted it down the right as well. I've never really experienced anything like it in football. What I found sickening as well is that it took away from that memorable Forest win - that was the absolute dream end to a season for us and we had it wiped out and one-upped within a week.

Gutted I never got to Watford the year after when we won 0-3. That was probably as good as I've felt about a win that wasn't against a top side or Forest/Derby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I get a lot of the points being made here but the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa etc.... it's their own fault. Don't blame your Watfords and your Bournemouths. They've come up and done well. They aren't the most interesting of clubs but they shouldn't be sneered at for being well run. The league is cheapened by clubs like Leeds, Villa, Sheff Weds, Newcastle etc... all being badly managed. Don't under-estimate how watered down a Newcastle you're getting at the minute. Clubs like us benefit from Mike Ashley.

Regarding Wolves v Leicester in terms of going up... I don't think there's any point playing a game of who's promotion was the most ethical, although what I will say about us is that we didn't actually go up because of our breaking of FFP - we did get away with it to the extent I think the rules need abolishing but we actually went up when we started cleaning the mess. It wasn't even close to as beneficial as getting players like Ruben Neves to be able to sign for us regardless of the money we spent.

The equivalent to Leicester going up in this year's Championship would be someone like Sheffield Wednesday winning the league. A club who've spent a lot, spent it badly, but are now having to make allowances for that. Our promotion was pretty unexpected really. We felt like we'd blown the chance. I guess we just under-estimated how good a side we actually had, and had how much that Watford game stung them.

That team hasn't had the credit it deserves outside of the club, for me. 102 points is a sensational return. It had the ability to tough it out and also stroll past teams. The way we took apart a rampant Derby side to the point 4-1 seriously flattered them showed we were a top quality outfit.

Pearson getting rid of Sven's misfits bar Schmeichel, Nugent and to a lesser extent Konchesky and filling the squad with quality Championship players like Morgan, Hammond, Dyer, James plus Premier League players in Vardy, Drinkwater, Knockaert and then Mahrez was astute business.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It was astounding, how can you go from needing a penalty to win it to still managing to lose in normal time. You could sense the goal coming as soon as they belted it down the right as well. I've never really experienced anything like it in football. What I found sickening as well is that it took away from that memorable Forest win - that was the absolute dream end to a season for us and we had it wiped out and one-upped within a week.

Gutted I never got to Watford the year after when we won 0-3. That was probably as good as I've felt about a win that wasn't against a top side or Forest/Derby.

it was sickening there is no other word for it, me and my dad was screaming for King to take the bloke down, you knew what was coming.

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

That team hasn't had the credit it deserves outside of the club, for me. 102 points is a sensational return. It had the ability to tough it out and also stroll past teams. The way we took apart a rampant Derby side to the point 4-1 seriously flattered them showed we were a top quality outfit.

Pearson getting rid of Sven's misfits bar Schmeichel, Nugent and to a lesser extent Konchesky and filling the squad with quality Championship players like Morgan, Hammond, Dyer, James plus Premier League players in Vardy, Drinkwater, Knockaert and then Mahrez was astute business.

I completely agree it's never had anything like the credit it deserved. Make no mistake that was a team that had just had the ultimate hammer blow and thought our chance has completely gone to go up now and it's going to take us years - I'm not even going overboard when I think after that Watford game it would take maybe even until the last couple of years to have even got ourselves ready to go up again.

You had Pearson as favourite for the sack with plenty of fans still against him after the way we'd gone to bits in the second half of the season. Drinkwater largely written off, Vardy almost totally written off with plenty (me included) saying they were happy to loan him to Sheffield Wednesday because it saves us some of the wages, a loss of a number of loanees and still having some of Sven's high earners on our books.

To come back and get 102 points, including winning 9 in a row, god knows how many late goals, ending QPR & Burnley's unbeaten home runs (in December and March respectively), winning over 30 games, even making the League Cup quarters beating Premier League Fulham, playing in my eyes genuinely entertaining football was a phenomenal effort. We weren't a possession dominating side (most of the time) but we were absolutely superb to watch on the break at times, I'm amazed our biggest win was 4-1. That Derby performance I think was, other than the Man City win in the title year, the best 90 minute performance I've ever seen from us. I'm not exaggerating when I say we could've scored 8 or 9, and that was not a bad Derby side at all - they haven't bettered that season since.

That season largely gets forgotten due to what's happened since but it was an amazing experience, and the ultimate reason I'm probably a bit biased towards Pearson.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get the argument saying when we went up we bought the league, spent loads etc, but hindsight is wonderful. I swear that season we went up, at the start of the season we were nowhere near favourites to go up? We went under the radar in that respect. 

In comparison, Wolves were, talked about, as pretty much already up after their first game of pre season the year they went up. It was well documented that they’d found a loophole and were exploiting it. I’m making a bit of a non-point here but let’s not pretend that we’d spent an unfathomable amount and were hotly tipped to walk the league, we still did it, well on merit, after signing a load of Championship journeymen, not ****ing 50 odd caps for Portugal superstars on loan! 

• Like 1

Just now, Manini said:

I get the argument saying when we went up we bought the league, spent loads etc, but hindsight is wonderful. I swear that season we went up, at the start of the season we were nowhere near favourites to go up? We went under the radar in that respect. 

In comparison, Wolves were, talked about, as pretty much already up after their first game of pre season the year they went up. It was well documented that they’d found a loophole and were exploiting it. I’m making a bit of a non-point here but let’s not pretend that we’d spent an unfathomable amount and were hotly tipped to walk the league, we still did it, well on merit, after signing a load of Championship journeymen, not ****ing 50 odd caps for Portugal superstars on loan! 

Nah Wolves were like 5th favs to go up last year in fairness.

2 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Nah Wolves were like 5th favs to go up last year in fairness.

Were they honestly? I’ll stand corrected. I remember there being a fair bit of hype around them and their players, maybe I’ve imagined that to suit my agenda lol 

Just now, Manini said:

Were they honestly? I’ll stand corrected. I remember there being a fair bit of hype around them and their players, maybe I’ve imagined that to suit my agenda lol 

Yeah I remember checking their promotion odds after they beat us in the pre season game. Boro, Villa and Derby were definitely ahead of them in the market from what I remember. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Yeah I remember checking their promotion odds after they beat us in the pre season game. Boro, Villa and Derby were definitely ahead of them in the market from what I remember. 

Genuinely shocked at that. Might have been somebody on here tipping them to go up after that game I dunno :dunno: